Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

My Drill Press

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2761 times

Old 01-07-2011, 05:53:49 PM
Registered

Default My Drill Press

I know this really belongs in Machine shop thread but interest was expressed here as to this piece of equipment.

Ronny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6283.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	158.2 KB
ID:	97357   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6284.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	97358   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_6285.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	97359  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2011, 06:47:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: My drill press

What is the brand and age? It looks like a strange mix of old and new.
Old 01-07-2011, 08:01:18 PM
Registered

No brand by uncle a machinist foreman of a shop here in Vermont . Before a stroke and his death had the parts table stand ect. casted in a foundry and machined it to what it is. He was a genius when it came to a machine shop. By the way all old vintage lathes mills the old way in your head knowledge. I was too young to appreciate his expertise in the shop and never talked at all with him about it !! My tremendous loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronny
The Following User Says Thank You to ronny p 148 For This Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 09:41:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,005 Times in 1,168 Posts

My grand father migrated here, from Germany at 16 years of age. He lived till I was 15 or so. He came thru Ellis Island. Went to work at Marshall Fields. Later got on, pouring iron for International Harvester in 1913 and migraged down south and started farming. Threre are possibly over a thousand questions, I'd love to ask him now about his up bringing, his trip over and his work here. Questions I'll never know the answer to. Why did he migrate? Was he and outcast, was he the privelaged one who got sent over? How'd he get a job at International Harvester? Why did he migrate to Miss. Sooooo many questions I'd love to ask him now, but, he's gone. If I could give any advice to our younger generation it's to ask questions about the past to our remaining kin about things. We'll lose them forever If we don't ask.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat Barrett For This Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:01:44 PM
Registered

On the other hand you could write a letter to your grand kids or great grand kids telling them about you and the highlights in your life. Even if they are not even born yet. I know they have books out there for people to fill out about their life. Kind of like an all about me book. What would you give to have something like that from your parents, grandparents or great grandparents? It would be absolutely priceless.
The Following User Says Thank You to JBdairy For This Post:
Old 01-07-2011, 10:36:45 PM
Registered

JB wonderful idea . Like my grand mothers brother . We called him uncle Fred . He was my great uncle .Wow he's been dead since 83 and he was in his 80's . I have his pocket watch his dad gave it too him . It's not for sale at any price!! He died sitting on his bed to rest. It was last time I saw him. If you knew him you would know this is not a bad memory of him. Anyway he ran steam rollers actually worked on the main highway in front of my house with one. he fired steam boilers with coal in factories . he told these stories over and over . I do this my kids tell me and I'm only 58 . To get back on subject i would love to hear them stories and ask him all the ?'s i have about oiling and firing these machines. Funny I didn't find his stories interesting at the time. My loss !! He chewed or should I say ate them !! He'd start out with unlit William Penn keep telling stories never spit cigar just kept getting shorter . until it was gone. I tried this as a teen I'll never forget it Green wasn't the word I turned. Kinda off subject but needs to be said as most of these old timers are gone and most of us missed the boat of there importance.

Ronny
Old 01-08-2011, 01:45:40 AM
Registered

Default Re: My Drill Press

Wow Ronney thats awsome! I love drill presses to. Back about ten yrs ago I got into restoring drill presses, I bought the old Atlas benchtop model at the place I was working for $50 when they got a new piece of garbage , then started picking them up when I found them. I think I had about 5 old ones at last count.
I love old American Machinery!
Make sure that one gets passes down to someone in your family with the story behind it.
Eric
The Following User Says Thank You to ecb223 For This Post:
Old 01-08-2011, 11:02:37 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny p 148 View Post
No brand by uncle a machinist foreman of a shop here in Vermont . Before a stroke and his death had the parts table stand ect. casted in a foundry and machined it to what it is. He was a genius when it came to a machine shop. By the way all old vintage lathes mills the old way in your head knowledge. I was too young to appreciate his expertise in the shop and never talked at all with him about it !! My tremendous loss !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ronny
That is an awsome piece! I am sure it works well, too. Oh, by the way, I grew up in Richford. Take care.
The Following User Says Thank You to akretowicz For This Post: