Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Paint Shop
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Paint Shop Tech. Talk about paint removers, thinners, primers and application techniques plus related topics. Rust removal, paint substitutes and color matching.

Paint Shop

Help on Stuart 50!

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2494 times

Old 04-13-2011, 10:53:17 PM
Registered

Default Help on Stuart 50!

Good evening. I've recently decided to refurbish my Stuart 50, it's time for a new dress. I have it stripped down and have spent a far amount of time on the casting. I have a few areas that need to be filled. I would like to take the politically correct way of doing this. Not sure if bondo and primer is the way to go. What would the old world craftsman do in this situation? Please review the two photos and give me some advise. Thank you all so very much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5290.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	104704   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5292.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	104705  
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2011, 11:23:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Help on Stuart 50!

The areas are pretty small.
I would use JB Weld which closely matches cast iron when cured.
I used it to patch a couple of 1/4" accidental holes in the table of my drill press a dozen years ago and they are almost invisible.

Jim in Minnesota.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:08:34 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Help on Stuart 50!

Casting flaws are part of the engine's history. No casting, no matter how well cast, is ever perfect, no matter how careful the mold maker and fhe foundry are in their workmanship. Even lost wax castings are not perfect. I would not worry about the 'flaws'. If you really want to be a perfectionist, turning the casting on edge, warming slightly, and appiying THIN layers of either bondo or JB weld, will fill them in. Preparation is the key - the repair area MUST be completely oil free, otherwise the 'repair' will seperate at some point in the future, even many years from now. If you plan to paint the casting, bondo would be a better bet, as paint tends to peel away from JB after time passes. If you want to leave the casting in its 'metal state, JB probably is the way to go.
Andrew
Old 04-26-2011, 05:18:25 PM
Registered

I always use "One Shot" sign painting enamel to paint my projects. It has lots of pigment and covers well. It is fairly expensive but worth it. I use a $12.00 touch up gun from Harbor Freight to spray the engines.

Best Regards, Modelmaker1
Old 05-03-2011, 03:31:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagesteamtoys View Post
...I have a few areas that need to be filled. I would like to take the politically correct way of doing this. Not sure if bondo and primer is the way to go. What would the old world craftsman do in this situation? ....
I would guess either silver solder, or lead (also known as "Body Solder" in the car restoration circles).

Silver solder should be available in most any plumbing section in your local home improvement center, and lead sticks (or Body Solder) can be bought from the Eastwood Tool Company and possibly other specialty stores catering to auto body supplies.

May not want lead in the toys your kids chew on, but if they chew on a model steam engine they should have their teeth pulled anyway. That may not be politically correct, but people have safely lived with lead in their surroundings for generations as long as they aren't chewing on it, although I'm guessing a lot of kids back in the day probably chewed on a few lead soldiers and lived to tell about it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post: