Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Re: How it's Done 3-5

this thread has 102 replies and has been viewed 48669 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-01-2015, 11:23:10 AM
Registered

Smile Re: How it's Done 3-5

How itís Done 1-1

I had a nice talk with Harry the other evening explaining what Iíd like to post in the STAK. Iíve been a lifelong machinist from a Tech high school onward.

For nearly 10 years my father & I raced & repaired Karts. From a very early age I developed a lifelong love for small engines.
Iím very concerned that the skills of small engine cylinder repair be passed along to the next generation. We are starting the thread ďHow itís DoneĒ in the STAK.

I was able to save a few hundred dollars while serving my hitch in the Navy. In 1971 when I returned home I went right back to working in the Kart & machine shop. I started attempting a cylinder bore as Iím sure many of you have with a 3 legged Egg Beater cylinder hone which quickly ended up in a disaster.

While thumbing thru the classified ads in the Oregonian news paper, I discovered Hawkins Machinery. It was summer time & Tom Hawkins discovered that I could be talked into purchasing machine tools wile consuming quantities of Almaden Rhine whine in front of the fireplace in his back yard.
My first purchase was a model FW Kwik Way boring bar, 2.2Ē to around 5Ē holes. After visiting a few Cycle shops I quickly discovered that Cylinder boring and TIG welding was badly needed. It all started from there. www.smallenginemachineworks.com

From an early start Small Engine became NW distributor of Wiesco piston & Los Angeles sleeve co.
We started installing sleeves in cylinders from the very beginning. I spent many hours on the phone with Gary Metchkoff (L A Sleeve). Gary was laying out his first motor cycle sleeve catalog; we kind of learned cycle sleeves together. It didnít take very long before I decided to start making my own cylinder sleeves. I had some pattern making training in pattern shop in high school. In the early days, Iíd have a local pattern shop make my custom match plate patterns.

In the middle eighties my father became ill & I had to step in & take over the family hardware business. Small Engine Machine Works was sold & was renamed N. W. Sleeve.
What goes around comes around; Iím now retired & NW Sleeve has closed. The domain name of www.smallenginemachineworks.com was available so I snapped it up again.

This time my main goal is to pass along the trade to anybody else who is interested in getting their hands dirty. Iíve been thinking about what to write about this time. Our work is rather repetitive, sleeve liner over & over. I never seem to get tired of the work.
With each job the customer will have a special request which makes things more interesting.

I received a couple sets of RD350 Yamaha cylinders to re-line. Our casting blanks are a little close on the ID, so I decided to make up a new pattern with a slightly smaller Inside core. Itís always handy to have a better assortment of sleeve castings around, we never know what will come in next.

My thread is a little repetitive but something different will show up each time. The new custom sleeve patterns start out with a stack of glued together 2x4ís. Some of you folks probably wonder how we grab a rectangular piece of wood in the metal lathe.
I went to a local Wood Crafters store & purchased this 4 jaw wood chuck & clamped it in the 3 jaw metal lathe chuck, it works pretty slick.

While going thru the STAK; learning some about you folks who collect & restore old engines. I thought my ďHow itís DoneĒ thread would be very informative to you collectors. Iíve been writing this thread in another web site but have run out of material after a few years. While looking at the STAK more I see that there are quite a few advertisers in similar machine shop operations. I hope that we can get some good conversations going which the rest of the readership can learn from.

This time around I found a foundry; Silverton Iron Foundry who was willing to cast sleeve castings for me with loose split patterns.

The first time around I didnít clamp things correctly & my contraption flew out of the lathe & nearly smacked me in the face.

Stay tuned for section 1-2
JT

Last edited by John Tice; 08-15-2015 at 02:07:48 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to John Tice For This Post: