Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

What trailer(s) can haul a 1911 45hp CASE steam engine? What trailer is best?

this thread has 29 replies and has been viewed 4388 times

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2017, 09:05:11 PM
Registered

Question What trailer(s) can haul a 1911 45hp CASE steam engine? What trailer is best?

Here's the long and short of the story...

Back in the day, my grandfather bought a 1911 CASE steam traction engine. (Self-propelled) He used it on the farm until he sold the farm, and after that, the engine was still being used at the local antique power show until it wore out a bushing.

The bushing is in the clutch assembly, and the flywheel has to come off in order to replace the bushing. We don't have anything ​strong enough to support the flywheel, so the old steamer just sits in the back lawn, waiting for "that day" when someone will care enough to do something with it.

The family has no interest in selling the steamer, and it seems that no one locally is willing to haul it anywhere to be repaired unless we sell it to them.

I'm tired of seeing this beautiful piece of family history just sit in the yard and rust. I want to take the engine to a shop for repairs. And once it's repaired, I want to use it both for farm use again, and at shows.

Unfortunately, I don't currently have a trailer to haul the thing, and I don't know enough to decide what trailer I need. Here is what I do know. Dad owns a 1948 Chevrolet 5 ton truck. The truck is in serious need of repair or replacement (because like the steamer, it's been sitting unused and not cared about for over 20 years) I know that Dad will be willing to sell the truck. Or, if the truck can be repaired, that would be even better.

So, now we get to the questions. First, even if the Chevy is fixed, is a 1948 5-ton truck strong enough to pull a 7+ton (when empty) steam engine plus trailer?
Second, if the truck is strong enough, what type of trailer is recommended? Bear in mind that we live in South West Wisconsin, where the area has many hills and valleys. (That will probably change whether or not the truck is strong enough.) I remember when we brought our engine to the show, a house hauling company would load our steamer onto a large trailer that had a large main bed and a higher small bed above the 5th wheel hitch. I don't remember the width of the trailer, but I do remember that they were able to load the engine pretty easily. I think they used a winch, but more for convenience than for safety. It took about 2-3 hours for our engine to build up enough steam to run on its own power.

Third question: If a 1948 5-ton isn't enough truck, what is?