Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Kinnard-Haines Flour City

this thread has 205 replies and has been viewed 58097 times

Old 12-12-2014, 08:51:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,173 Times in 211 Posts
Default Re: Kinnard-Haines Flour City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Fye View Post
Its great to see the old girl getting a fantastic restoration. I was raised in northern Idaho just across the Washington state line where the Flower City rested for many years setting just 50 feet off the side of the county road about a mile from town. My father in law and his father would attend threshing bees at the farm there back in the 1960's. When I was a young man I would drive out there and look over the old girl and admire the size of the old one cylinder engine. Some times the owner was around and he always had a few stories about the tractor and his dads collection. He told me one time the carburetor was stolen at one of the threshing bees and they quit having them at their farm after that. If I remember the story correctly the tractor spent its working life on a farm just outside of Lewiston Idaho.
30 or so years ago I had a few bucks saved up and I thought maybe that old thing would be for sale so I went over there and made an offer. The owner just smiled and said, I have had a check taped to the refrigerator door for most of 20 years from a collector in North Dakota. The amount of that check was 5 times my offer. Obviously I had no idea of the significance of the machine or its value. Fun memories from my early collecting days.
Dale,
I have been in contact with the Lewiston Tribune. I hope they will approve the picture I posted on their website of the Flour City when she arrived here in April, 2013. I also left a voice mail to speak to someone in the archives. It is my eight attempt to make contact with someone at the paper. Fingers crossed.. If there are any Stakkers in that area, we'd sure appreciate any help reminiscing about this old girl.
The Following User Says Thank You to Retrofit88 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-03-2015, 03:14:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Kinnard-Haines Flour City

Nikki, Dudley and family,

The Antique Power yust arrived in Holland,

Wonderful article of your Kinnard-Haines Tractor,

Pat. has done it very nice,

Congratiulations,

Also nice articles from Canadian Rick and Yankee Ed,

Clemens Brothers from Holland,
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 07-07-2015, 03:00:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,173 Times in 211 Posts

Thank you for your kind words, which I have read to Dudley as he was heading back out to the Shop. It has become quite busy here and I am not on here as often as I would like. The open piston design turns many heads and is cherished as the centerpiece to Dudley's collection. Best wishes to all.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Retrofit88 For This Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:23:45 PM
Registered

Link to a 1903 map of the Kinnard-Haines factory.

http://geo.lib.umn.edu/plat_books/mi...e/map00187.jpg

Link to a 1914 map of the Kinnard-Haines factory after addition to the machine shop and new blacksmiths shop and addition to the foundry and the new office.

http://reflections.mndigital.org/cdm...1956/show/1933

The building permit for the office was made in 1902. The office was probably then built in 1903. The cost was listed at $2500.00.
Permit for the foundry addition was made in 1910.
Permit for the new one story brick blacksmiths shop was made in 1912. Cost listed at $2500.00.
Permit for a new one story brick and steel addition to the machine shop was made in 1912 at 4433 Bryant Ave. North. Cost listed at $6500.00.

The maps can be enlarged.

I was born and raised and still live at 47th & Bryant Ave. North.
Part of the factory (pink color in maps) was still there when I was young but all is gone now except for the office.

Rob
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Robert Lang For This Post:
Old 12-05-2016, 11:35:16 PM
Registered

Picture of Owen Kinnard.

Kinnard-Haines also had the property in lot 17 in the maps(lower center of maps).

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Flour City, Kinnard-Haines Co., Owen Brooke Kinnard.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	269602  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Robert Lang For This Post:
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Best View Post
David,

I've got some photos, but will take awhile to locate them. A good friend of mine, Carl Mehmke has one in his collection.
Carl Mehmke passed away several years ago1 His daughters have taken a strong interest in the collection and have done a fall show the last two years1
I was fortunate to be able to help out at this years show1 It is a great collection! Over 20 steam engines! plus many rare gas tractors!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nodakaz For This Post: