Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Rumely X Carb Problem

this thread has 47 replies and has been viewed 4381 times

Old 06-11-2012, 05:20:40 PM
Edwin

Default Re: Rumely X Carb problem

Harold i wonder if it the same rumely bulletin i sent Gee,few weeks back.Glad to hear she runs good.
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24:34 AM
Registered

Well, the X has been running fine for quite a while now, but... The other week it would only run with the choke on, after that I could get it to start, but it wouldn't speed up. The only way to keep it firing was to keep turning the choke on and off.

When I went to pull it out of the shed, the fuel pump plunger was stuck, while freeing it up I lost the check ball from the top of the fuel pump, I heard it bounce across the shop floor but couldn't find it. I replaced it with a ball bearing and man does it pump now, so much so that the 90 degree fitting on the return to the tank impeded the flow. I added a piece of rubber hose to the tubing and have the return going into the gas tank filler pipe. The fuel runs away freely and the tractor ran and started well on several occasions.

Since having the troubles, so far I have tried the following, some just out of desperation.

Changed the spark plugs
sanded the points in the mag
sanded the spark plug wire ends.
siphoned all the fuel out and filled with fresh premium gas.
took the carb off to see if somehow the butterfly had come off.
checked to see the slots on the fuel pipe in the carb are horizontal.
made new carb gasket.
drained some oil from the crank case.
took the needle vale out of the carb and blew through it.

If I pump it up with fuel, put on the choke and crank it it will hit twice and if I can get back to the platform quick enough I can manipulate the choke for it to fire occasionally.

Once it dies, If I open the decompression valves and crank it over with paper towel under the valves the left cylinder seems to have lots of fuel running out, the right seems dry.

The tractor has lots of compression. Had a new head gasket from Odie a few years back, the valves were done at that time.

Any ideas or help would be greatfully appreciated.

Thanks,

Harold
The Following User Says Thank You to Harold Kuret For This Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 11:46:16 AM
Registered

Take the mixing screw, packing gland and seat out of the fuel side of the carb. Remove the slot headed pipe plug that will allow you to clean the small gallery that the fuel feeds up into the needle. Make sure this path is clear/ clean. Re-install your seat, packing gland and mixing screw.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles For This Post:
Old 09-02-2019, 06:28:48 PM
Registered

Thanks Bubbles! I will give it a try and report back.

Harold
Old 09-03-2019, 07:48:47 PM
Registered

Hey Bubbles,

I did exactly what you suggested and could not believe the amount of crap that came flying out of the orifice when I put the air hose to it. I was sure this was the fix.

I re-assembled everything.
Pumped up the fuel,
Opened the needle 3/4 of a turn,
flipped up the choke,
cranked her over a couple of times,
she hit twice, I ran back to the platform and was still only able to get it to fire intermittently by manipulating the choke. She belches black smoke out of the stack, If I leave the choke open she will fire a couple of times and then die.

I tried this many times with different needle positions, changed plugs again. But still could not get it to stay running and speed up. She fires about the second or third pull every time I go through the starting procedure and runs enough just to encourage you to try again till your completely exhausted.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get this back to the good running tractor of a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks, Harold
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Harold Kuret For This Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 08:23:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,176 Times in 1,279 Posts

How much gas is the pump sucking up from the tank? Is the gas new?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 09:53:25 PM
Registered

Hi David,

The pump seems to be working well, when the tractor started acting up the first thing I did was siphoned all of the gas out of it, went to town and got 5 gallons of premium fuel and poured it in. The new fuel had no effect.

Thanks,

Harold
Old 09-03-2019, 10:49:34 PM
Registered

Make sure that gallery is fully clear. Use a long drill and or stiff wire.

I am assuming the carb is staying full of gas?

Also you mentioned using rubber hose, is it fuel rated?
The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles For This Post:
Old 09-03-2019, 11:25:38 PM
Subscriber

Hmmm sounds like a real pain. it was running good, sat awhile now won’t run. Sure seems like somethings gummed up somewhere . Straight household ammonia cleaner is about the only thing that clears out that ethanol varnish that screws so much stuff. Either that or the mice got in and left some seeds someplace. You might try pumping straight ammonia from the first check valve outta the tank up through the carb , fill the whole system and let it sit a day. Something someplace has some crap in it. Is it getting enough air? Could there be something getting caught in the pick-up tube in the fuel tank?

Last edited by David Hoover; 09-04-2019 at 07:33:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:25:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: Rumely X Carb Problem

Bubbles,

I made sure the gallery is clear and the hose is fuel rated.

David, It went from running to not in the same day.

thanks, Harold
Old 09-10-2019, 08:46:14 PM
Registered

Okay, Here's where we are at...

I have been using the water tank since the bottom of the fuel tank is rotten and it is difficult to get out from between the frame rails. A few years back I repaired some pin holes in the water tank and lined it with alcohol resistant gas tank sealer.

I questioned when I siphoned what I thought was bad fuel out if I got it all out. So, I decided to pull the tank off, when I emptied it I got about 5 gallons of what looked like good fuel and then another gallon of milky puke. Hey, I think I found the problem.

Upon closer inspection of the tank, I thought I saw a plastic bag in the tank. The gas tank sealer had let go from the tank in sheets and pieces. Hey, I think I found the problem.

I cleaned the tank out and filled it with the same gas I took out to make sure it wasn't leaking. All good, so I drained the gas out again and let the tank dry for a few days in the sun. Gave it a good vacuum and we are good to go. I drilled a hole in the frame to match the drain plug location and ran some pipe fittings with a valve so that I could drain the tank in the future without removing it. I made sure all lines were clear. I re-assembled and re-piped the fuel return eliminating one elbow.

Side bar, I tried some of the gas in a modern small engine and it would run but barely, drained the gas and re-filled with fresh and the small engine ran like a top. Hey, I think I found the problem.

I went to town and got 5 gallons of fresh premium fuel, poured it in and... Runs exactly the same, barely able to keep it running by manipulating the choke. tried multiple needle settings but no luck.

I took the air filter out and tried again, inspected the plug wires and everything was okay, burned myself on the left exhaust pipe but found the right one to be cool.

I took the magneto cover off and found that the threaded cap that holds the wire on for the right cylinder was loose. Hey, I think I found the problem.

Tightened it up and she runs exactly the same, barely keeps running if you manipulate the choke, it never does speed up and rarely hits twice. If I open the cylinder drains after it dies and crank it over it fires for a few cranks.

I am thinking it may be an ignition problem, maybe the impulse is sticking or something. It appears to be getting fuel.

Any Suggestions?

Thanks, Harold
Old 09-10-2019, 09:00:54 PM
Subscriber

I wonder if it sucked some of that crap in and it’s stuck on the valve seat? How’s the spark in that cylinder? Have you made regular prayers to the Rumely God? Will it fire if you squirt gas into the cylinders?
Old 09-10-2019, 09:25:40 PM
Registered

Put another mag on it and try it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bubbles For This Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 09:33:47 PM
Subscriber

Once your sparks guaranteed good and it still won’t go, how about belting it up and spin it and see if it coughs out whatever is in it, maybe pour good fuel straight into the carb while your spinning it too.
Old 09-10-2019, 09:41:07 PM
Subscriber

I would belt that thing to another tractor, keep the gas shut off, and check your spark. You could take the plugs out and see what crap comes out. If you don't have a blue spark you need to tune up your mag. Just saying
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VossD For This Post:
Old 09-10-2019, 10:08:30 PM
Registered

I really don't think it's a fuel issue, the pump maintains the level in the carb. When it does fire, it belches black smoke, If I turn the needle from extremely lean to extremely rich, it has no effect. It does not fire every four strokes. My wife said tonight "it sounds more like a hit and miss engine than an Oil Pull".

It builds good compression, I think if something were stuck in the valve, the compression would be down.

The gas tank sealer came off in large sheets, I don't think it has created a problem, I have verified all the fuel path is clear

I will take the mag off and take it over to the magneto magician for assessment. I will also make new plug wires and report back.

Thanks, Harold
Old 09-10-2019, 10:52:31 PM
Subscriber

I guess that black smoke is a clue, it’s getting fuel. That intermittent spark must be the problem
The Following User Says Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:13:23 AM
Registered

Maybe try changing spark plugs, seems like you've tried everything else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maceymadness For This Post:
Old 09-11-2019, 07:55:47 AM
Registered

Thanks Maceymadness, That was one of the first things I tried.
see post 22 for the rest of the story.

Cheers, Harold
Old 09-11-2019, 11:34:39 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,689 Times in 2,203 Posts

From post 36, "The gas tank sealer came off in large sheets".
While this may not be your problem, it can become anyone's problem when that 'sealer' starts to obstruct passages. Don't use it! Solder that leak or if large put a galvanized patch over it. I've patched over large bottom areas of tanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post: