Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

trailer question

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 2019 times

Old 10-30-2003, 11:51:14 AM
David Greenwalt

Default trailer question

Kinda engine related, since I plan on going to shows with it. Next week me and the missus make the final payment on our home, not meaning to brag, but it's a big occassion for us. So now that we can afford it we are looking at one of those new Jayco featherlight camper trailers. Dry weight is 2700 lbs., 19 footer with double axles. For any of you that have one this light, how does it handle? Does the wind effect it much with all that area to hit? How about sitting up at a show and a storm comes thru, does it ride thru it ok? I would like to hear any pros and cons before making a purchase like this. Thanks, David.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2003, 09:23:00 PM
John Glowacki

Default Re: trailer question

David,

Before you make a travel trailer purchase, spend a lot of time reading on the rv.net web forum. There is a lot to consider.

I can also help you out off list. Shoot me an email.

John

rv.net
Old 10-31-2003, 01:47:47 PM
Bob Johnson

Hi David,

My suggestion is that you take a lot of time and look around at various trailers. When we bought our first trailer two years ago we found a nice sutable trailer sold as a 21 ft model. It was great except that on extended trips, or one that you might have to spend time inside we found ours to be to small. The 21 ft actually was 19'7".We were plannig an extended trip to Alaska (6 weeks ) so we were looking for a little more room. We found a great 23 ft long trailer that is actually 23'10" long WITH a slide out. What a difference the slide out made and the cost was very near the same. So look around and consider all your needs as buying two in two years is not the smartest move if you can find the one that covers all the bases and has enough room. We use ours to go to shows that are shorter trips but all in all it is the way to go. Give me a call if I can be of any help.

Bob Johnson, out west on the high desert

530 279 2429
Old 11-01-2003, 08:50:43 AM
David Greenwalt

I know what you're saying, I figure this will be the one and only that we buy. We're taking our time and looking at everything, and it helps talking to people that have experience with their own trailers. You don't learn the pros and cons from dealers, 'cause they don't have any cons, just pros. David.
Old 11-01-2003, 10:15:49 PM
James Ashmore

The first rule is never ever listen to what a dealer tells you. Some dealers are ok but on the other hand many and way too many are out to sell trailers. I can remember a guy I worked with that had a toyota pickup. The trailer sellsman told him he could pull a 30 ft. trailer with it. Give me a break! The first rule is look at what you have to pull with and go from there. Don't purchase a trailer that the pull vehicle is not able to pull. Big is nice but big is not always the way to go. What do you need as to room. Think about that and than make you decision. Good luck.