Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shows, Swaps, Announcements > Shows and Swap Meets
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Shows and Swap Meets Announcements, reviews, photos, movies and discussion about antique engine and tractor shows and swaps.

Shows and Swap Meets

What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

this thread has 19 replies and has been viewed 4656 times

Old 09-18-2012, 06:50:49 PM
Registered

Default What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

I am intesrested to know, how do others feel about shows having tractor pulling? I have my feelings about this. Before I share mine I would like to see what others think. Good or bad makes no difference, your thoughts and why.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-2012, 08:16:11 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts
Default Re: What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

We have another local club that is all about pulling and for me I could have cared less... but this year at our big show (the county fair) the wife went to the pulls with all us guys and thought it was great! Now she wants her own tractor to pull with, so later this winter I will be rebuilding a Ford 2n for her to Pull with next year, for me I am just glad that it is one more thing that interest the wife that is associated with my hobby of collecting fossil fuel powered equipment...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 09:33:36 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,127 Times in 357 Posts

At Alexander Steam Show we have a lot of people who come for the tractor pulls. We just spent $10,000 for another section of bleachers. We also do a horse pull on Thursday night. It had the biggest bleacher crowd we have ever had for the horse pull.
From my perspective as Gate Chairman the biggest problem is all the pick up trucks who claim to be the pit crew for somebody. Our rules say you must be a member to pull. Signs say have your membership card or $6 ready. The other problem is that not everyone who claims to be a pit crew can park in the pit area. We have a big spectator lot around the corner and trams to bring people to the track area. Putting someone on the road in a safety vest is the only way to control the gate. Vehicles will come down the road with their blinkers on and as soon as they see someone at the pit entrance they take the blinkers off and follow the signs for parking. it takes 3 volunteers to control this gate before pulling time.
Dave Mischler www.alexandersteamshow.com
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveMisch For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 10:11:36 PM
Registered

Do you want to grow your show or neuter it? Different people are interested in different things but the one thing they all have in common is they are paying to come to your show. The more you can offer, the more people you can attract, the more your show can grow.

I am not a tractor pulling fan or participant. But I recognize that limiting your show to this or that will kill it eventually.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Jason W For This Post:
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21:52 PM
Registered

If you have the room, insurance, manpower, ect, do it! As said before lots of people really enjoy the pulls and helps the attendance. I have seen the space problems, where do the semis park, now the antiques are blocked in and also see the "pit crew" throw weights off the tractor into another pickup to get closer pit parking and it can make a royal mess. Overall though I enjoy the horses, steamers, hot tractors and 4wd trucks (ain't they pretty when they get broken) and have paid entry to many pulls.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 03:43:39 AM
Registered

Thank you all for your comments. So here are mine, sorry if they sound harsh. I believe pullers will wreck these shows. From my experience they take and give nothing. They really do not support the shows, for them its only about pulling. Back a couple of years ago, One puller said everyone cheats to try to win, you just modify everything inside the Engine where no one can see it. Is this where we want to go?
The Following User Says Thank You to 20minnie For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 07:12:18 AM
Registered

From a spectator veiw, when I go to an old irion show I do not care about seeing modern high performance stuff. If I want to see fancy, loud, modified stuff I will go to the couny Fair. When I am discussing the many advantages of an old Ford tractor over a old John Deere I do not want to have to talk over a screaming thousnd hp. engine. As for even the old tractors having mods on there tractors, farmers have always modified there tractors to do a specific job better. Almost any tractor that has seen any farm time has had something changed, from a home made bracket for the water jug to engine and gear changes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Feasal For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 09:01:14 AM
Subscriber

I don't really care for it too much, but on the other hand you do need to keep people coming, and I guess if that is what it takes then maybe it is one of those "neccessary evils".
Old 09-20-2012, 12:33:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,419 Times in 847 Posts

Around here the Antique tractor pulls have developed into a How Much Can You Cheat and how much can you spend contest. Lots of the real antique tractors have been ruined by extensive modifications. The Same guys win all the time depending on how much they spend. And how are you going to fairly police all this ?

I've seen some shows go Downhill Real Fast when the tractor pull crowd took over with all their earth changing ideas

The Best Shows I attend Don't have a tractor pull
Old 09-20-2012, 04:59:35 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Usually I say "to each his own", but seems to me a lot (but not all) antique pullers really don't care about anything else except for their pull. They only show up for the pull, leave right after it's over, and don't care a thing about putting on or working on anything besides their pull. I've seen some shows that already had a shortage of able-bodied laborers not able to do squat when they started the pull, because it took up all their time. I've also seen some pretty nice shows that had pretty neat old tractors get down to almost nothing but pulling tractors.

I'd say if you want to have a pull, have a pull. If you want to have a show, have a show. Sometimes it's hard to do both.

Mike M
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike McKnight For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 05:55:17 PM
Registered

Yes it is true that many people cheat! I've seen serial tags replaced, engines massively bored and cams ground. In mud trucks, abit off topic, yet still valid, I've seen torque converters cut open severely modified and painted like original and I think we've all seen the fuel cheats with undetectable octane boosters. I know I can't afford to run with the big boys so it is neat for me to be able to watch mr rich guy pulling--or even better blowing up his machine for my viewing pleasure. At this time I am involved with a semi (still within factory rebuild specs) modified "B" J.D. Can my buddy compete, no not really but he enjoys doing it and does respectable. Sometimes it's just for the fun.

We have a close show here though and they have the pulls. On any given time you have no traffic problems until pull times which is a royal pain in the neck!! But to think of the amount of money that is brought in because of the pulls will spin your head. If they didn't have the pulls, we might be paying a gate fee to exhibit. At normal times (except Saturdays) it is modest crowds in the tractors and engine displays, but around pull times the people herd through and look at the engines and stuff. Were it not for the pulls many people wouldn't even show up.

I as well as anybody else don't care for cheaters but sometimes they help the rest of the events. I can also see that many shows don't need extra demands and headaches as well. Kind of each show to it's own needs or desires I guess.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 06:02:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,020 Times in 397 Posts

Hello Folks

I agree 100% with the fellow that stated tractor pullers come to the show, do their pull, then pack up and leave. Most of them don't even buy a hot dog and and a coke. They bring an ice chest full of beverages and their own food. They don't even walk around the grounds to look at the antique tractors.

From what I've seen tractor pulls and antique tractor shows should be seperate.

My 2 cents

LeRoy Baumgardner
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to LeRoy IHC For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 06:06:59 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20minnie View Post
Back a couple of years ago, One puller said everyone cheats to try to win, you just modify everything inside the Engine where no one can see it. Is this where we want to go?
Funny thought on that one. I bought a tractor off of Cletus Coogle (48(?) M IHC) that used to be a pulling tractor. It was said to be a stock machine but whooped up most stock M's for years.

Then came the dyno.

After the dyno test Van Cleve sold it to Cletus because his cheating days were over, no more pulling.

It was severely modified and was putting out almost 70 HP (best bush hogger I ever owned) near twice stock HP. Some people still cheat but some things have changed that help some. The other big help was the MPH rule. Helps level the field some.
The Following User Says Thank You to Marc P For This Post:
Old 09-20-2012, 08:35:14 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,644 Times in 7,481 Posts

I heard there were real problems at a show here recently with those little, screaming lawn tractors. It even involved calling the local police! Seems that group is a different sub-set of humanity?
As for the regular pulls, some of the shows do it best by having them off to one side or an area of their own. That way, if you want to watch pulls, you go watch pulls. Some shows here have had them "hogging" the main grandstand and before too long, you have them there all day with about 20 people watching at any given time.
Personally, I'd sooner watch farting ducks then tractor pulls, but that is just a personal view!
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 03:32:06 AM
Registered

Again thanks to all that tossed in their thoughts. I do think that pullers will wreck the shows. So how do you stop something so destructive to the future of our shows?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:48:30 AM
Registered

Most shows that I am familiar with, have the goal of growing and expanding. Perhaps the pullers themselves don't contribute to the show, but what about the spectators watching the pull? Do they all make a mad dash for the parking lot as soon as the last puller finishes? I'll betcha' they don't. They may very well take a walk around the show grounds, get something to eat, visit the flea market, maybe purchase something there.....

I find it hard to believe that a show would continue to host a pull year after year, if it was a losing proposition financially. It must benefit the club somehow?

I recognize the possibility of cheating, and MAYBE I even understand a hesitation to have the club involved by providing the venue for such an activity. Maybe. But, it has been my experience that most clubs are rightfully leery of cutting off their noses just to spite their faces.
The Following User Says Thank You to sprkplug For This Post:
Old 09-22-2012, 12:04:23 PM
Registered

I like all the activity at the shows. I usually wander around the swap meet, the engines, the display tractors and even watch some of the pulls, especially when the model of tractors I have at home are pulling. I thoroughly enjoy meeting friends and acquaintences. I like seeing what is interesting. If an engine is pumping water, crushing cans or making electricity or even ice cream its a lot more interesting.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:31:41 PM
Registered

Red face Re: What are your feelings about Pullers at shows?

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Personally, I'd sooner watch farting ducks then tractor pulls, but that is just a personal view!
I enjoy all aspects of the shows I am able to attend.
That business with the ducks,is it competitive? I have a huge flock of Muscovey ducks at home that seem to be good for nothing except raising more ducks and crapping on my lawn.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:05:39 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

My feelings?? I don't like 'em! I don't care for tractor pulls that much. That said, if a club or show organization wishes to host them in conjunction with their other activities, it's there right to do so. I can go find something else to look at.
Then, there are the pulling sleds brought in to give a steamer or gas tractor a load. I can watch that because I LOVE to hear them working hard! I'd rather watch them plow though!
Good discussion!
Old 09-22-2012, 09:41:29 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,644 Times in 7,481 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgreen416 View Post
I enjoy all aspects of the shows I am able to attend.
That business with the ducks,is it competitive? I have a huge flock of Muscovey ducks at home that seem to be good for nothing except raising more ducks and crapping on my lawn.
Lop their heads off and put them in the freezer! I used to raise them and they taste great!
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post: