Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

J.R. Simplot, Oscar Cooke Tractor Collection, Movin' Out

this thread has 280 replies and has been viewed 59539 times

Old 10-01-2012, 03:56:33 PM
Registered

Default J.R. Simplot, Oscar Cooke Tractor Collection, Movin' Out

Greetings,

My name is David, I am currently working with Jack's Urban Meeting Place (JUMP) in downtown Boise. JUMP is an undertaking by the J.R. Simplot family, an for those of you who don't know J.R. collected a lot of antique tractors and farm equipment before he died, his goal was to create an agricultural museum here in Bosie to show people how far farming has come.

The museum he dreamed of never happened but the new JUMP project is going to incorporate some of the more than 100 old tractors that JR collected. We are currently looking for some advice on how we could keep some of these outside on display while limiting the amount of damage they take from the sun and elements. Originally they all had shelters being built for them but for several reasons (mostly design related) we would like to be able to display them out in the park and on the structure without building a shelter around them. If anyone has any suggestions or advice we would love to hear from you.

Also if anyone has questions about the JUMP project you can check out the website at www.jacksurbanmeetingplace.org or find us on Facebook at JUMP Boise.
The Following User Says Thank You to JUMP Boise For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-2012, 04:00:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

MAGIC?????
Old 10-01-2012, 04:24:19 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

Thanks for posting.......

I have followed the progress....... .......of this endeavor since the Oscar's Dreamland sale.
My feeling about displaying the tractors in that venue hadn't changed but suggesting displaying them in the open does change my opinion and it's not for the better.
It's one thing to stick a can over an exhaust pipe but quite another to try to keep magnetos, lubricators, tanks and whatnot, protected from the elements.
The fact that it seems none of the tractors will run again makes me want to cry.......
Old 10-01-2012, 04:30:50 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,900 Times in 772 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protection from the elements

simple answer is you can't, however:

A. throw enough money at it, you can limit damage appearance wise with paint and coatings. Long term though, outside display will cause deterioration and eventual destruction of metal; especially without a long term, perpetual maintenance schedule. Earlier tractors with wood will show even faster deterioration. considering may of the tractors in the collection are one of a kind or extremely rare; physical damage may be difficult and very costly to repair. Internal damage is even more likely to mechanical components. Boise has a decent temperature range which will be of no help, but luckily not a lot of precipitation. regardless, the elements and rodents will take a toll on the internals in a short time. Items like mags, oilers and carburetors will go very fast if they aren't outright stolen.

B. you also will have the human factor to contend with, as public displays, you will be contending with theft and vandalism. Again, many of these are irreplaceable or nearly irreplaceable pieces of American history, and restoring damage done to them will be difficult and expensive, and will quickly degrade appearance.

Take a look around on here at some of the heritage museums with outdoor storage. Despite their best efforts, its a loosing battle, especially as funding inevitably decreases.

While I applaud the idea of showing them as part of American heritage to the public, this is a horrible way to display these. If money is an issue to house these in an appropriate environment since they are being reduced to static displays likely to never run again, then sell part of the collection to finance decent housing for the rest.

edit// I needed to correct my numerous spelling errors and I thought i needed to say a little more. I don't want to sound overly harsh, and while people on here will HELP you preserve these, you won't find many on here who will SUPPORT what the program wants to do. I don't want you to go off thinking you won't find help here though.

We are all here to preserve and educate, and each time this plan comes up, it only conjures up part of one of those things. To most of us, we immediately see a vision of Kerosene Annie rotting away in an urban park, falling apart with most of her parts missing and an eyesore, and even dangerous. Many of us have dealt with boards and committees, who really have no interest in something except as a small part of something larger, and most every one of us can see down the road a lack of funds and support. At best they get sold or maybe reshedded after being allowed to deteriorate; at worst, the board decides they are scrap iron. We may not have totally liked JR's original plans, but we understood and respected his idea of an ag museum where at least they were preserved out of the elements even if they were never allowed to run.

Last edited by Paul Searl; 10-01-2012 at 11:27:41 PM.
Old 10-01-2012, 05:22:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protection from the elements

I fully agree with Paul. Pieces in that collection absolutely need to be stored in a locked building at night. Would you put a 1903 Harley outside with a fence around it, or Charles Lindburgs "spirit of St. Louis" outside in a park? NO! Like Paul said, some of those tractors are irreplaceable pieces of American history and worth alot more money then you and many others would think, and shouldn't be placed in the elements, let alone left outside for people to vandalize and steal, because it's a guarantee that it will happen if they are. One more statement that Paul said, selling a few of the tractors to get the funding for the buildings is a good idea.

AND

Another strong suggestion, talk to the local Early Day Gas Engine & Tractor Association branch. Im sure alot of them would be willing to be involved in the project, along with having open house days and having the local EDGE&TA members be able to operate the tractors. One thing ALL of us engine and tractor members hate to see is static displays of machines that were mean't to run. It's sad and it's a shame to see them sit and do nothing but collect dust. Get them out and play with them.
Old 10-01-2012, 07:38:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,900 Times in 772 Posts

Had to fix spelling errors, so I added more to say. I know I come off harsh, and its not Davids fault. However, I think David really needed to know that this project brings out a lot of negative emotions on here and why. And while most of us can't support this, we will help how we can to minimize what damage can be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 08:50:05 PM
Subscriber

I buy noting old that is left to the elements . If I could not maintain and build the right facility the proper thing to do is sell or donate to someone that has the knowledage and ability to do so. Mike
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to smtwins For This Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 09:11:32 PM
Subscriber

Paul,you and Tanner both said it so well.Seeing all that lovely old iron just sitting not doing anything in a park is heart breaking. I don't think people who donate an old engine,tractor,or steam engine to an orginaztion that it will turn into a static display and just fall into a state of deteration. Why not put some of the tractors on loan to some different clubs that will get them running again and display them and use them at their annual shows for everyon to enjoy. I also think Kerosene Annie would do well in the hands of the Rumley Collectors.That way it would be at each exposition with the Simplot family retaining ownership,but this one piece of ag history that needs to shared,not locked away in a building or fenced off i a park where it will be subject to neglect and or vandilism. This only my opinion,and I know opinions are like a body part everyone has but what good is the wonderful tractors doing locked away,other than gathering dust. Jim
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 10-01-2012, 11:17:28 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,872 Times in 946 Posts

There are so many tractors in that collection that are rare and unreplaceable it is hard to imagine anyone thinking of putting them outside in the elements. They must be perserved at all costs and that is what JR wanted. I talked to him at the auction and he absolutely knew what he was buying and why he was buying them. I see no reason why you can't put some of the less unusual tractors out in the open but to put the Olmstead or the Trackrunner with them would be a crime against history. As said above we all want them saved and they must be, but if your group can't do it then sell them to people who will. The fact that you are aware of the Stak should mean you understand who we are. We are died in the wool preservationests to the end. We love all this old iron and after waiting for 16 years for an end to this story we want it to be a happy ending. Please reconsider your plans for outside displays. Ed B
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 12:07:50 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,694 Times in 2,203 Posts

David;
You have a national treasure in this collection. Take The Smithsonian Museum's action as a good example to follow: The Smithsonian had the oldest Hart Parr Tractor and likely the oldest tractor on earth on static display about 10 years back. The Smithsonian and a Hart Parr collectors organization came to an agreement whereby that Hart Parr was lent to the collectors group in exchange for its restoration so that anyone interested could see it perform as it originally did over 100 years ago. I don't know full details, but it still is The Smithsonian Museum's property and it has provided more enjoyment and education this way than it would have on static display even though the "stored outside display" was never even suggested.
Try to deal with national collectors organizations as Rumely Collectors and be proud to have your family's prizes admired and appreciated by many. JR would be proud! Architects and landscapers can surely come up with a nice shelter in which to display some of the tractors and you could get some collector clubs to come and restore and/or run some.
100 tractors sitting outside and doing nothing is only a display of a junk yard.
Old 10-02-2012, 12:56:24 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,270 Times in 875 Posts

I am a MEMBER of one of the local EDGE TA clubs, and I know several individuals who knew JR personally, and I would imagine that JR would have been upset to see his items displayed outside, given the beleived emmense liquid nature ( ie money) of his estate I can't believe that a building to continue to store these inside is not possible, is it is my understanding the currently are stored indoors? I imagine there are many who would love to continue to assist in maintaining the collection probono if it could be aggregated to one local to be maintained and service.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 01:22:57 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

About storage tractors outside.

If you live in to an desert then it coult be possible like the Americans doing that with the plain cemetairys.

But for most spots in the world its not very well.

Two friends of us have hold an old Rumely F outside sinds 1955 and in to an tree.
Wel they still have kept it every year in to super good condition by giving oil everywhere and turn the engine with oiler every year.
Have to admit it was an very dry climate where it was standing all those years.
But there is told to us sinds the last 2 years and some last hurracanes the climate is changing also overthere.
Well the tractor is now safe.

My advise to everybody store your tractor in to an dry shet.
Not an container but dry shet.
We have some old North American tin shets from WW2 and they are always very dry.

It does not have to cost always a lot of mony to store your tractors dry.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 06:26:00 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,785 Times in 981 Posts

How IRONIC, What J.R. Simplot wanted preserved ( in history ), will be now be stored outside to deteriorate. ??????????
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 08:14:02 AM
In Memory Of

over 660 stackers have read this Thread lets show our support of the posters by flooding them with thanks they have said it better than we could. Persevere this collection
Old 10-02-2012, 09:09:10 AM
Subscriber

David, having spent many of my early years in the Boise Valley going to school, I was familiar with the family, Mr. Simplot even spoke at my graduation ceremony and I went to school with some of his family. From my understanding these agricultural tractors were procured for their future preservation and would hope the Simplot family and the organization he grew, will seek out the knowledge to know what treasures they have, the historical significance of the pieces, and how some of the best regarded museums in the world preserve and present their pieces to the public. I hope all in the group appreciate this is a world class collection of historical significance. I hope with this knowledge the pieces can be better understood and how they can be incorporated into the design and mission. I know we ALL appreciate you asking us for our input. I wish you the best in the endeavor.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B.C. Cushing For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 11:52:05 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Wel at least this iron stays in America........................................... ..........................
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 12:28:00 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,573 Times in 1,137 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brothers Clemens View Post
Wel at least this iron stays in America........................................... ..........................
Thank God for that
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tanner Remillard For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 01:28:42 PM
Registered

The answer to the problem is simple and it would certainly fullfill JR's vision. There are many organizations accross the country that have the buildings, the know how, the members and the money to take JR's tractors and maintain and show them in running condition. Many of these organizations are very well funded and would be able to take care of JR's tractors for ever. All that has to be done is to convince the family that the cheapest way to dispose of the tractor headache would be to donate then to organizations that will maintain them and show them to the public. Hell, they could even require the organization to have a plaque on the tractor stating it was donated by JR himself.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brian Mann For This Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 01:40:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,750 Times in 288 Posts
Thumbs down Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

Any tractors outside please...
Old 10-02-2012, 01:48:07 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

Hello David,

I would like to add my thanks to you for coming here for information and assistance.

The short answer to your question about outside storage is that you can't preserve these items if they are exposed to the elements and vandalism. The best chance for their preservation would be inside storage in a secure building. Institutions such as The Smithsonian and the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago learned this long ago. For example the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago recently added new exhibit space to place the U-505 submarine inside to better preserve and display it.

Perhaps a couple of long glass sided pavilions would give the desired affect yet protect the tractors. Something like this: http://designcrave.com/2009-07-28/20...99s-hyde-park/ or this: http://inhabitat.com/lifecycle-build...transportable/

Frank W
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post: