Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

J.R. Simplot, Oscar Cooke Tractor Collection, Movin' Out

this thread has 280 replies and has been viewed 59552 times

Old 10-03-2012, 12:33:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,051 Times in 972 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

The following quotes from the initial post: "The museum he dreamed of never happened" and "Originally they all had shelters being built for them but for several reasons (mostly design related)" appear to contradict the stated 'Vision' behind the entire Jump project: “Creating an environment for inspiring human potential.” The inspiration for JUMP was J.R. Simplot — Jack to his family and friends — a man who believed there are no limits to what humans can accomplish.

"antique tractor sculptures" sounds more like humans destroying American history to create some hip artsy architecture project to impress their buddies.

I am floored that such an idea would even be proposed and it appears to indicate a lack of research and understanding for these tractors that Mr. Simplot treasured. However, it does not appear that the JUMP project is related to a museum in any way, so one can assume that there is a lack of experience in historical artifact preservation and exhibition amongst the JUMP project planners.

David, it is commendable that you reached out to this forum for advice. This is a wonderful community with an immense wealth of knowledge. We can be to the point and even harsh at times, but this is due to our passion for these relics. Those in possession of such a collection as Mr. Simplot's may fear that people are out there looking to take advantage of them. And while there are always bad apples, I've found the vast majority of the people on this forum are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow collector.

While I'm just another collector and no museum expert myself, here are some recommendations:
1) Make an inventory of Mr. Simplot's collection
2) Make this inventory available to this forum for the purposes of obtaining a wealth of information, awareness, and understanding regarding Mr. Simplot's tractors and their historical significance.
3) Consider other ways of incorporating Mr. Simplot's inspiration from these tractors into the JACK project, maybe outside of placing actual tractors on site. In Europe, they create replicas of church doors, statues, etc. for public display, while still making the real thing available to the public via museums appropriate for preserving the historical artifact. There are numerous ways to creatively educate JUMP visitors on the historical significance of these tractors and can maybe have an artist create sculpture renditions of some tractors. Would probably be cheaper in the long run!

Best of luck to you!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Wahl For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55:05 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

I looked at the the "JUMP" website and to me its a bit confusing. I'm trying to figure out where the old tractors fall into place? Is this an attempt at an ag museum? There are a bunch of people jumping in what looks like a city landscape...no pictures of tractors or old iron and very little mention of them either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Kulisiewicz For This Post:
Old 10-03-2012, 01:00:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,988 Times in 369 Posts

After looking through the JUMP website I see no connection to J.R. Simplot's "goal to create an agricultural museum here in Bosie to show people how far farming has come" that was stated in David's original post.

From the JUMP website vision:
"Many years ago, he dreamed of creating an agricultural museum. This idea was a spark that has evolved to honor his pioneering spirit — to dream up and build a wondrous place where people can come and learn, explore, and gamble on their dreams"

I appears that the J.R.'s dream has been re-invented by the foundation.

From the meager perspective of someone interested in the preservation and exhibition of antique farm machinery, this is very sad. Especially considering the rarity and historical significance of many of the items in this collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wahl View Post
"antique tractor sculptures" sounds more like humans destroying American history to create some hip artsy architecture project to impress their buddies.
Yes, some very unique items have the potential be lost forever.

Perhaps it may be beneficial for a group to reach out to the foundation and provide insight and guidance. According to JUMP Boise' (David) biography, http://www.smokstak.com/forum/member.php?u=62333 this is what they attempting gain.
The foundation may not know what they have in their possession.
The history of Kerosene Anne would be a good place to start.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Donaldson; 10-03-2012 at 03:09:35 PM. Reason: Added content
Old 10-03-2012, 02:14:10 PM
Registered

I want to clarify my name is David S, I am not related to or working for Simplot. I am just helping work on the JUMP project and doing tractor research currently.

---------- Post added at 12:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:51 AM ----------

I feel that I did not explain my self well enough on here and what the goals are.

First we are aware and understand the value and rarity of some of the tractors in this collection, those ones will hopefully be located within the facility or may not be on the project at all. Next the majority of the tractors located outside do currently have a structure planned for them, which is basically four posts and a roof (not the best but better than nothing) and this design is being revisited. This is partly because we do not want the tractors to be displayed like a museum but want them more integrated into the space. As for the tractors that would be outside with no protection we are only considering some of the more common basic tractors (one of the many Fordsons).

As of now there are no plans to run the tractors regularly but we do understand the need to if they are really going to be preserved. We would be happy to meet with some local tractor enthusiasts to help us come up with some solutions and be a regular consultant. We have really just started getting really in depth into the tractors and make decisions in the last few months

We welcome and appreciate any constructive advice or suggestions. We understand it is not the ideal solution for everyone but this is the direction the project has decided to go, so let us try and get the best results for everyone.

Than you.
Old 10-09-2012, 01:34:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Wahl View Post
The following quotes from the initial post: "The museum he dreamed of never happened" and "Originally they all had shelters being built for them but for several reasons (mostly design related)" appear to contradict the stated 'Vision' behind the entire Jump project: “Creating an environment for inspiring human potential.” The inspiration for JUMP was J.R. Simplot — Jack to his family and friends — a man who believed there are no limits to what humans can accomplish.

I am floored that such an idea would even be proposed and it appears to indicate a lack of research and understanding for these tractors that Mr. Simplot treasured. However, it does not appear that the JUMP project is related to a museum in any way, so one can assume that there is a lack of experience in historical artifact preservation and exhibition amongst the JUMP project planners.

David, it is commendable that you reached out to this forum for advice. This is a wonderful community with an immense wealth of knowledge. We can be to the point and even harsh at times, but this is due to our passion for these relics. Those in possession of such a collection as Mr. Simplot's may fear that people are out there looking to take advantage of them. And while there are always bad apples, I've found the vast majority of the people on this forum are willing to go out of their way to help a fellow collector.

While I'm just another collector and no museum expert myself, here are some recommendations:
1) Make an inventory of Mr. Simplot's collection
2) Make this inventory available to this forum for the purposes of obtaining a wealth of information, awareness, and understanding regarding Mr. Simplot's tractors and their historical significance.
3) Consider other ways of incorporating Mr. Simplot's inspiration from these tractors into the JACK project, maybe outside of placing actual tractors on site. In Europe, they create replicas of church doors, statues, etc. for public display, while still making the real thing available to the public via museums appropriate for preserving the historical artifact. There are numerous ways to creatively educate JUMP visitors on the historical significance of these tractors and can maybe have an artist create sculpture renditions of some tractors. Would probably be cheaper in the long run!

Best of luck to you!
JR Simplot Tractor Collection.pdf

Here is a list of the tractors that are currently in the Simplot collection (I think this a full list, it may be missing a few that are in storage down here in Idaho). We would love to get any feedback on these tractors that could help us with our displays and any additional information on them that we should know from everyone here.

On a side note, the foundation does not want to sale any of these tractors and does not want to purchase anymore to add to the collection, so please do not ask.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:27:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,628 Times in 7,475 Posts

JBoise,
Thank you for posting the list - a very impressive line up.
For the Eagle tractor, it is a 22-45 Model H with 8.5" bore and 10" stroke. It was built in 1930 and is one of the last of the old style Eagles. It is the highest serial number I have for the H series.
I corresponded with Mr. Cooke about this tractor many years ago. It worked for many years for a Mr. Smith at Glen Morris, Ontario and then went to a Mr. Bailey at Princeton, Ontario. It was purchased by Mr. Alex Edgar who was one of the pioneer tractor collectors in Ontario.
The Eagle then went with some others as part of a trade for a model E Oil Pull that Mr. Edgar acquired in North Dakota. Mr. Cooke bought it from North Dakota - this may have been from the Baylis collection?
Unfortunately, this tractor does not show up in the Ontario sales records of the Waterloo Manufacturing Co. of Waterloo, Ontario who were Canadian agents. This often means that the tractor was originally sold by Waterloo in Western Canada and perhaps repossessed or returned to Waterloo for rebuild or resale.
All the best,
RM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 10-09-2012, 09:34:00 PM
Registered

Lot 707 would be a Allis Chalmers 20-35 Longfender if 6442 is the serial number.

Do you know what the serial number of the AC 6-12, Lot 449, is ?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:55:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,900 Times in 772 Posts

The Heider C 12-20 should probably be a 1918 or 1919 based on the engine tag number given. if its a 1918 the operators platform will sit below the box frames and the axle will be well above the floor. if its a 1919 they made some changes to allow for the use of the heider plow lift. noticeably, the operator platform floor will be raised up to be flat across with the axle running at floor level. if you want to get way more in depth on the history, theres a lot of info in the link below.

Ok, so I gotta ask, what is #696 Wheat Tractor, and does anyone have some good pics of the olmstead? Seen a couple of partial pics of it but thats it, been just waiting for someone to post something. I gather it was the first articulated four wheel drive?

Honestly, theres a few magazine articles or even a book in that collection.
Old 10-22-2012, 03:53:52 PM
Registered

Here are the images we have of some of the tractors you all have mentioned, I will upload a few more in just a minute. Included here are images for the Eagle 22-45 Model H (lot 682) Allis Chalmers Model E 18-30 (lot 707) Allis Chalmers 6-12 (lot 449) and Heider C 12-20 (lot 444).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	682.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	147696   Click image for larger version

Name:	707.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	147697   Click image for larger version

Name:	449.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	147698   Click image for larger version

Name:	444.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	147699  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JUMP Boise For This Post:
Old 10-22-2012, 03:59:01 PM
Registered

Here are a few more images, sorry they are not the best they actually come from the auction catalog because they are currently stored back to back in Montana and hard to get images of. Attached here are the Wheat Tractor (lot 696) and Olmstead 25-50 (lot 731).

If you have any more questions let me know I will be happy to provide you with any information that I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	696.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	147700   Click image for larger version

Name:	731.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	147701  
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to JUMP Boise For This Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:13:53 PM
Registered

So it has been 2 months since this thread was started and has been 5 weeks since the last post. Are the tractors going to be preserved indoors or left out ? I really wonder if the JUMP people and the Simplot foundation fully understand the significance of the tractors they have ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFreshour For This Post:
Old 12-01-2012, 10:54:14 PM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts
Angry Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

^ I'm afraid the board of directors of the JUMP project is still clueless in that regard and while nobody has said it I will:

I don't think they give a rat's ass about the tractors either.......

I'll be tickled to death to be proven wrong.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:04:26 AM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

After thinking about my statement up there ^ it is possible they, or at least someone, does give a rat's ass....... ........or they wouldn't be posting here.

I cannot put in strong enough words that Board needs to know they are the caretakers of a national treasure.
There are very few comparable collections anywhere and by that I mean anywhere.

Who knows......with any luck perhaps we can influence how this collection is preserved.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 12:09:32 AM

Thanked 4,294,967,133 Times in 3,930 Posts

I nominate CRAIG for their board of directors!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Beth V For This Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 02:12:41 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,695 Times in 2,203 Posts

J.R. Simplot made history with his record purchase of these and all at one sale from one collector's estate. I assume that J.R.'s past hopes and plans are being considered.
JUMP Boise is apparently the contact regarding this national treasure and has expressed possible plans, concern for them and has asked us for some guidance. We have strong feelings regarding the collection, but let's all use respectful and decent language about this matter and then our hopes and suggestions will be considered in a more respectful, professional and serious manner.

I could not find Kerosene Annie on the list.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 12-02-2012, 02:30:20 AM
Registered

J.R.Simplot, I am thinking french fries here. Big time. I somehow hope his vision, as well as the ag equipment can be preserved. Lots of good ideas have been expressed,i.e. loaned to museums, etc...
JG
Old 12-02-2012, 02:31:40 AM
Subscriber

Oil pulled.

Number 736 is the listing for kerosine Annie.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tom Madden For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 07:53:17 PM
Registered

I just learned about Kerosene Annie a couple weeks ago. What a tragedy it would be to lose her and all the others in that collection. As someone who is just getting started at collecting and using these beautiful machines PLEASE let these folks help you! Please take their advice! It's no different than protecting an endangered species. Once there gone they are gone.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:09:47 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts

I was up in Boise a few weeks ago and so I drove past the "JUMP" site, it looks like it's going to be some form of urban-granola park for the "new edge" people to sit and contemplate their existence, at least that's what the representative there explained to me argh sounds like they might place those traactors out there to beloved to rust...
The Following User Says Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 12-03-2012, 11:30:14 PM
Registered

If your info is correct that's sick!