Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

J.R. Simplot, Oscar Cooke Tractor Collection, Movin' Out

this thread has 280 replies and has been viewed 59549 times

Old 01-29-2013, 07:54:57 PM
Registered

Default Olmstead 25-50 Weight

Greetings,

I am looking for some more information on the Olmstead 25-50 from Oscars Dreamland. We are looking at putting this tractor in the JUMP parking structure and need to know how much it weighs so we can structurally design for it, we have allowed for no more than 24,500 because to the best of our knowledge our largest tractor weights about 24,000. We would really appreciate the help and any other information you may have on the Olmstead because there does not seem to be a whole lot out there about them.

Thank You.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2013, 08:17:34 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,988 Times in 369 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

JUMP Boise posted an inquiry regarding the Olmstead on the steam side

Craig here......it's not there any more....I merged it into this thread.......
Old 01-29-2013, 08:29:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,471 Times in 275 Posts
Default Re: Olmstead 25-50 Weight

There isnt much for info because its the only one, I am guessing you may not get a lot of help here because basically you are wrecking the only living example of that tractor and piece of Montana history if its going in an open parking ramp?
Old 01-29-2013, 09:05:15 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,115 Times in 164 Posts

Why dont they build a structure to help load tractors on to peoples trailers who actually care about them. I think the people behind this senseless idea of a tractor museum should JUMP off a bridge.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 19-65Port For This Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 09:22:38 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,471 Times in 275 Posts

The family/foundation should quit trying so hard to do the wrong thing and just sell off the equipment to collectors that care about it and go ahead and build what they want and that obviosly would not include tractors. Looks to me this is just a way to clear up some guilty consciences by including farm tractors into this setting.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Joe P For This Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:02:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

You know, there's another option: public opinion. What someone COULD do is start an online petition to address their plans for the tractors, gather signatures, and then send it to JUMP and their local TV stations, newspapers, congressman, senator, and mayor and see what happens. You get enough users on this and all the other steam and tractor boards together, that's a hell of a lot of signatures asking them to reconsider parking the rarest of the rare outside to be desecrated and left to rot. You won't get much say unless you make your voice heard. Thoughts?
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23:03 PM
Registered

hey guys it does not matter what you think it boils down to this we as collectors hate to see old iron get negleted and so on but it is not ours to do with it is the familes and jumps to do what ever they wish to do with all we can do is make a few points in the right direction. and help them out any way we can
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24:28 PM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

You might be interested in perusing that site >>> http://www.ktvb.com/news/business/JU...172350111.html

If you are a facebook member check out that too >>> https://www.facebook.com/jumpboise

Whether or not some letters to the editors of the Boise newspapers would get anywhere is anybodys' guess.......
But here they are:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/letter...navlink=subnav

http://www.idahopress.com/opinion/editor/

http://www.boiseweekly.com/boise/opi...ion?oid=920002

I can't help but wonder if 98% of the people of Boise, much less the people of the state of Idaho, really know how significant the collection is........

I don't enjoy being so negative about the project but nothing has been suggested that could make me feel any other way.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 01-29-2013, 11:28:08 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,515 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilpulled View Post
J.R. Simplot made history with his record purchase of these and all at one sale from one collector's estate. I assume that J.R.'s past hopes and plans are being considered.
JUMP Boise is apparently the contact regarding this national treasure and has expressed possible plans, concern for them and has asked us for some guidance. We have strong feelings regarding the collection, but let's all use respectful and decent language about this matter and then our hopes and suggestions will be considered in a more respectful, professional and serious manner.

I could not find Kerosene Annie on the list.
Oilpulled, you said it about as well as anyone could.

I too know there are strong feelings over the Simplot collection.

1 - Simplot's purchases set the old tractor market on a new level. It enablable some to see their net worth, due to their collection, grow greatly amost overnight. But it also closed off the world of tractor collecting for many. Someone can scrimp and save and maybe eventually own a $15K tractor. Finding $150K to purchase the same item only a few years later is impossible.
2 - It made tractor collecting like much like antique autos, etc., the good stuff is reserved for those with DEEP pockets and often times those folks that are considered the "elite". This often creates jealousy (hey, we might as well admit it folks) and ill feelings.
3 - Many of us (and I admit me included at times) hold a bit of animosity that these fine pieces of iron aren't restored and displayed "properly". However, if someone were to come to my house and somewhat forcefully criticize me that I should restore a hunk of iron that I've had in the barn for many years or the that I wasn't doing "justice" to the old stuff I own, I'd probably quickly put that person on their way.

Longwindedly, this brings me to my intended comment, this stuff is owned by somebody else and they can do as they please with it. Fix it up, let it rust, bury it, whatever. I may not agree with it, but I have to respect their right to do it by virtue of their ownership.

Are J.R. Simplot's wishes being carried out? We may never know as he can't tell us. But if not, I suspect its mainly because he didn't leave specific enough instructions on what to do with it. But then, it was his and if that's the way he desired to do it, that's OK with me......

Not sure what compelled me to write this.
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,694 Times in 2,203 Posts

If the tractor is placed "In a parking facility", then That would, hopefully, be under a roof. I feel that under a good roof in Idaho climate plus fenced so the public does not contact it except for special supervised educational situations and properly prepared for and periodically checked and maintained for storage should be a satisfactory solution. These tractors do not need to be run at a show and paraded each year. We only ask that they be diligently cared for.
We can encourage JUMP to advertise the treasure as such for education and enjoyment and get the public's support.
Old 01-30-2013, 02:22:37 AM
Registered

I wonder if there is some way to use the same laws that they use to save historic buildings to protect the tractors?
Old 01-30-2013, 08:08:46 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,785 Times in 981 Posts

Tommy, Very well put. But I expect that from you anyway being a well known collector of HIGH QUALITY gas engines as well as BEING of good judgement. What suprises me is " THAT YOUR ON LUGS & CLEATS " Are you coming over to the " Dark-side ? "

Last edited by Don Selmer; 01-30-2013 at 02:17:11 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20:15 PM
Subscriber

Do you gentlemen (and ladies) ever get the impression that "JUMP Boise" suggests the things that would provoke the most angst and gnashing of teeth from us and then sits back and watches all the comments fly back and forth about it? I really wonder sometimes as it almost seems that the most ridiculous and outlandish things are being suggested. Who in this kind of park setting would care if the thing on display was actually real or not? Why not do like most museums do. Display a copy and if someone damages it so what! They don't put real dinosaur skeletons on display for instance. Why do they have to put one-of-a-kind tractors out in the open?? I really have to wonder about all this!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Titan1020 For This Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 07:15:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,515 Times in 1,666 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Selmer View Post
Tommy, Very well put. But I expect that from you anyway being a well known collector of HIGH QUALITY gas engines as well as BEING of good judgement. What suprises me is " THAT YOUR ON LUGS & CLEATS " Are you coming over to the " Dark-side ? "
Don, I'm beginning to get a little worried. I find myself looking at these big wheeled monsters more and more....

I get a bit disgusted at myself for looking back over the years at the large number of early gas tractors that were offered me and I just let them sit. To think that I took the engine off an original single cylinder Hagan tractor and left the entire drive train..... Speaking of iron lovers getting upset at others for failure to properly preserve history --- I'm the poster boy for ignorance in this regard. Thank goodness I had the good sense to tell a friend about the drive train and he got it. Then I did the smart thing and let him have the engine to put the tractor back together. Live and learn...the hard way sometimes.
Old 01-30-2013, 07:30:02 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,624 Times in 7,472 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
I can't help but wonder if 98% of the people of Boise, much less the people of the state of Idaho, really know how significant the collection is.
Craig,
Sadly, 98% of the people in North America think their food is grown in supermarkets. It is increasingly an urban (or suburban) society. Boise looks to be a lovely town; but it is a government town and government types don't live in anything resembling a real world like the rest of us.
They could build a genuine agricultural museum there - but would anyone come? I was at a major science museum in our Nation's capital a couple of years back. They had moved any hint of agriculture into storage and were exhibiting the history of computers and cell phones! Here's a take on this:
http://nj1015.com/these-photos-are-p...ut-technology/
In one of the newspaper articles above they say that Jump will be a place for creative thinking or simply a place for people to hang out? Probably more the latter.
Perhaps old Mr. Simplot had some greater plan for the Oscar Cooke collection? Perhaps the next generation sees it more as a liabilty - like that present you hate but can't get rid of for fear of offending someone!
RM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-30-2013, 11:47:33 PM
Registered

This morning I was having my morning coffee and news on the computer before going to work. I got a hair in my a$$ and left a comment on JUMP Bosie's Facebook page:

I realy hope you folks are rethinking your plans for the rare and historicaly significant tractors that are in your care. I'm all for having them on display but they need to be indoors where they will be protected and preserved.

Their reply:

We arrived at our plan for displaying the tractors after years of careful consideration. We want the public to have ready access to viewing the tractors, and we believe our approach will accomplish that goal in the most reasonable way. We understand you concerns and appreciate your input.

Sounds like the decison has been made. The one thing that seems odd is I haven't seen anyone on this thread that is local to Bosie. You would think there would be some tractor folks around there considering Bosie sits in the world's largest spud patch.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:26:37 AM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts
Angry Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

^ That sounds exactly like the kind of response you would get from the DOT and YES......I was ON of those committees.......
By the time they tell you "you have a choice" the plans have already been cast in stone and any meetings are a waste of time.......

Oh well........they're Simplots' tractors.
After a while it will just make what's left elsewhere worth more.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:59:47 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,273 Times in 876 Posts

We were just in boise again last week... same bad plan, tractors out in the "public view" for all to see and enjoy, these are just pieces of static art to them, not functioning art that should be cared for. I've lived in Idaho all my life and this just breaks my heart. JR Simplot is no doubt spinning in his grave.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigGURN For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 01:09:59 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,103 Times in 341 Posts

Heres my idea. Sell the tractors and buy what they really want. Art.

By the way, the artists rendering's don't make this proposal seem anymore appealing.
http://www.jacksurbanmeetingplace.or...ery-myrtle.jpg

Last edited by A Martinson; 01-31-2013 at 01:49:36 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to A Martinson For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 01:50:16 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,051 Times in 972 Posts

The 25-50 Olmstead weighs 24,501 pounds. Sorry, guess you can't put it in the parking structure!

David, what I don't understand is why you ask specific questions related to the project without 1st providing an overview of the plan and its basic concepts. The JUMP project website provides almost no details. And the lack of information provided to this forum leads us all to assume the worst. This also prohibits the expertise on this forum from helping to make the best of the situation.

One specific question I have is what measures does the plan put in place to protect the tractor from both the elements and individuals who may want to take a piece of history home with them. It would be a true tragedy if a one of a kind tractor is allowed to rot in the weather or be dismantled by thieves.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Wahl For This Post: