Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

J.R. Simplot, Oscar Cooke Tractor Collection, Movin' Out

this thread has 280 replies and has been viewed 59560 times

Old 01-31-2013, 01:50:40 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

Not knowing the terms of J.R.'s estate, will or trusts, do you suppose he set up a trust to build a museum for these tractors and this is the perversion they came up with? Maybe they can't sell the tractors or they wouldn't get the trust money to build their "museum".

Just thinking out loud here.
Brady
Sponsored Links
Old 01-31-2013, 02:44:37 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts
Default Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

That is a very real possibility...
Old 01-31-2013, 07:48:43 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,031 Times in 279 Posts

David,
I am curious as to how many tractors will actually be on display. The artist renderings don't give much of a clue. In another 18 months, if construction goes as planned, we can all make a trip to visit the display and see for ourselves. Thank You
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51:49 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,471 Times in 275 Posts

I am guessing there are more tractors then there are spaces so if they were reasonable they would sell off the less then 5 type of tractors. I doubt they are reasonable. I am guessing they have no idea what is really rare or not. They could accomplish what they want and still minnimize the damage they will do by picking and choosing.
The Following User Says Thank You to Joe P For This Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 11:54:21 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,380 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigGURN View Post
We were just in boise again last week... same bad plan, tractors out in the "public view" for all to see and enjoy, these are just pieces of static art to them, not functioning art that should be cared for. I've lived in Idaho all my life and this just breaks my heart. JR Simplot is no doubt spinning in his grave.
Pretty hard to guess what the behind the scenes vision was. He may be rolling over, but, I hate to say it, if Mr. Simplot had really wanted a true traditional agricultural museum, he had plenty of time and money to build it. He did own the tractors in storage for 10 years. If he had left a clear vision for a museum I'm sure they would have followed it. I'm guessing to him, buying the bulk of Oscar's collection was like us grabbing a candy bar in the Walmart checkout, practically an impulse buy. He probably didn't know for sure what to do with the stuff after he owned it. And I know a lot of folks get a big kick out of all this old stuff selling for massive prices on big auctions with lots of hype, but this is the type of thing that can happen when NON-Traditional big money investors are sought out and brought in to maximize auction prices. I know Kruse did plenty of smoozing to get him there and keep him bidding. I was so glad that most of the tractors from the Lakeside auction ended up with true collector's as I'd just hate to see any more of these ultra rare machines sitting in Disney Land or another corporate parking garage. So thank you to those buyers that stepped up and kept those tractors in the "private sector". I hope you are all at the upcoming auction in New York as well, and I wish you luck in doing the same.

This is a perfect example of why museums with ultra-smart people running them should stick to collecting John Deeres and Cushman engines.

In another 50 years, assuming we're not a communist nation where no one owns anything, if anyone still wants this old iron when I'm done playing with it, and if my kids don't care about it, I sure hope I have sense enough left in my head to sell the stuff privately to some younger collectors who will continue to take care of it and enjoy it the way we have.
Old 01-31-2013, 12:36:20 PM
Registered

From what I can find on the internet so far Jump Boise is being built by the JR Simplot Foundation. Their address is P.O. Box 27. Boise 83707-0027.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:37:13 AM
Registered

Chris Thanks for your opinion ….. I think you talk a lot of VERY GOOD sense here………on one hand I'm a no one on the antique tractor scene GLOBALLY, yet on the other I have traveled extensively and observed enough to have an opinion that in this case is quite in line with your thinking given you live in the (epicentre of lugs and cleats land internationally…The US and A as Borat calls it) and I in the boon docks of the south pacific.
To me it seems strange how the wealth and vision that JR had can be miss appropriated to EVEN SUGGEST they place even part of this AMAZING horde of priceless US agricultural artefact’s in a car park or BASIC only Preserved environment thinking they have done right by Mr Simplot and his vision or dream!……..my head is shaking with disbelief every time “JUMP BOISE” post a thread or reply.
I think if enough rational and intelligent people make comments here “JUMP Boise” ……what ever that is! …..May eventually be backed in to a corner and have to take on board some of the real passion and HART LAND thinking Mr Simplot most likely had.

Kiwi Todd
Old 02-01-2013, 11:09:39 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,380 Times in 1,119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Osborne View Post
Chris Thanks for your opinion ….. I think you talk a lot of VERY GOOD sense here………on one hand I'm a no one on the antique tractor scene GLOBALLY
Todd, thanks for the reply, and for the record you are not a no one, in any sense of the term. You and our other friends across the US and around the world that buy & trade these old engines and tractors, folks that are truly focussed and strive everyday to own, restore, attend shows, and share their stories about them are what make the hobby interesting. Tractors in a modern art display/parking garage do not make the hobby interesting. Without folks like you and so many of the other enthusiasts on this forum, the tractors/engines we collect are just what the folks in Boise are making out of them.... inanimante objects.

I don't totally fault the folks with the JUMP project, they are just ordinary people trying to carry out their jobs that they have been handed, but as they are not collector's by choice, how would you expect them to view the tractors? Their fault will be if they are too omniscient to seek advice from the folks that actually know how to care for this stuff.

Enough from me for now... good to hear from you Kiwi...
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34:35 PM
Registered

I literally just got off the phone after half an hour with the head of the Jump Boise project.

He has assured me, without a doubt, that any of the one offs will be under a roof in this project.

I asked specifically about the Olmstead and Kerosene Annie.

Out of the 110 tractors, 60 are being used in this project; the other 50 are going to be staying in a barn with the hopes of possibly displaying them the same way Mr. Cooke had them displayed. The list of which ones that will be used and not used is not set in stone yet, with the exception of the Olmstead and and Avery steamer.

As of now, there are NO plans to have any of these pieces running again, BUT, he said, as for the 50 not being used, the fate of them is not known as far as what will exactly happen, as in possible making them run or not in the future.

Unfortunitly, the Olmstead is his favorite, so it is planned on being in the display. He said he has been in contact with the descendants of the the original manufacture; and is working with them on its preservation.

He stated more common tractors, like Fordsons, Deeres, Fergusons', etc. are being looked at to be on display in the open, not under roof.

These tractors they are looking at possibly doing in clearcoats to try to preserve them from the weather to an extant.

The rest of the ones under roof are not planning to have any cosmetics done to them; as in displaying them in their original state.

A FEW, not known how many, they want to have so people can climb up on and experience what being on the platform is like. Making them safe to be on and little item like oilers and lubricators will be removed so little items that could walk off are not easily assessable.

There is also a section supposed to be dedicated to Mr. Cooke and tell his story of collecting and how the tractors come to be.

If they keep their word and keep the rarest under roof atleast, I feel a little bit better. As far as them never running again, that is the worst news I wanted to hear.

I am supposed to be talking with him again next week, and if there is more questions you would like to have answered, I will discuss this with them.

Josh
Old 02-01-2013, 06:14:10 PM
Registered

The closest comparison of what they are doing; in my mind; Would be the same as taking a Duesenberg and plaing it in a park setting so everyone an rawl over it. I am not into car collecting but even I have enough sense to know that is wrong to do. Or taking the Wright flyer and putting it in the middle of Atlanta International airport. Who would be ignorant enough to do either of these things with those items.

Apparently Jump Boise would. Doubt we will be lucky enough that they will JUMP out of their ideas and consult those of us who know better and follow our ideas!
Old 02-01-2013, 09:09:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,277 Times in 877 Posts

My understanding of under a roof was that they planned four poles and some tin, in idaho the rain and snow usually come from the side not strait down because of all our wind...four poles amd a little tin will be marginally effective.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:33:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,251 Times in 552 Posts

Well I really hate to bump this thread, but I found this other forum while searching for pictures of the Cooke/Simplot collection. It has some "nice" things to say about some us here on the stak. Is there any good news yet atleast?

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...169661&page=42

Post #822
Old 02-17-2014, 11:19:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Oooh, tractor snobs!!! BURN!!!
Old 02-17-2014, 11:24:51 PM

Thanked 20,668 Times in 5,984 Posts
Arrow Re: J.R. Simplot Large Tractor Collection, protecting tractors from the elements

Don't feel bad Tim.......the rest of the that thread is some real interesting reading.......
Just like WE jumped all over THEIR plans for the tractor collection JUMP is catching hell about the actual building plans too.......
I guess ol' J.R. didn't have the foresight to have laid out HIS plan specifying exactly the wheres and whats of his museum and collection.
With his BILLIONS he easily could have endowed a museum with enough funds to run it till the end of time
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:40:25 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,103 Posts

The same lack of estate planning on Oscar's part is the cause of the collection being liquidated as well. These were real leaders in their respective business and they failed to do the essential planning to assure the continuation of their dream. Oscar's family didn't want the estate taxes to eat up the whole estate, but he didn't Take the proper steps to avoid this trap. Can't figure out how these highly accomplished people could ignore something so important. We have the same problem in this family as well, they tell you it's all taken care of but we find out too late that it hasn't. Why ????? F.J.W.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 12:49:29 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,251 Times in 552 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig A View Post
Just like WE jumped all over THEIR plans for the tractor collection JUMP is catching hell aboout the actual building plans too.......
I did get a kick out of some of the other posts as well
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim Colwell For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 01:11:16 AM
Registered

Hopefully the hipsters will have a nice long drawn out p***ing match over the ascetics of the building so the tractors can stay in safe and dry confines of the warehouse.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Klicknative For This Post:
Old 02-18-2014, 11:49:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,349 Times in 438 Posts

Well, according to the JUMP website, this joint is supposed to open in 2015. From the pictures I've seen online detailing the construction, I imagine that is a realistic date.

However, it appears that there will be a considerable amount of effort required in the trucking, rigging and placing of these tractors in the various bays, halls, parking garages, restrooms or God knows where else. Has there been any activity whatsoever at Oscar Cooke's to indicate this stuff is even being prepped for transport, let alone considered in this project? Heck did anybody bust out a tape measure to make sure the building can accommodate this stuff?

There has been no sign from the JUMP representative in ages. What about their requests for information on the various models, or have they simply given up on that? Perhaps they found another source?

As far as the preservation and display of these rare machines goes, only time will tell how this all plays out. It wouldn't surprise me for this group to have a change of heart regarding these tractors, (deceased man's wishes or not), just give it time. Billions of dollars or not, the same rule applies to all...... "never say never"
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 02-19-2014, 09:28:44 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,872 Times in 946 Posts

As I reported earlier I visited Marcie and Rick in July and they gave me access to the Simplot tractors [had to get permission] Last year Rick was asked to move the more important tractors into a second shed. In original shed they were packed in like sardines. The second shed had many of the more important units including the Olmstead and the Avery Track Runner.[Can't remember Kerosene Annie] I was allowed to photograph the Avery for comparison to the one I reconstructed for Ken Avery here in CT but not the rest. Rick seemed to feel they were getting closer to moving the collection [maybe a year or two] . Ed B
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 06-19-2014, 05:13:47 PM
Registered

Bumping thread because Boise's KTVB.com has a picture gallery of some tractors being hoisted by crane into the JUMP building yesterday June 18. Uh, sorry about that comment over at the SSP forum, but you guys seem pretty serious about the tractors. I can't say for sure but I'm guessing they will all be enclosed and not sitting out in the weather.

http://www.ktvb.com/news/Rare-collec...263869341.html

Cheers. And any info you have about the tractors would be appreciated. The local news here, is, um, not very good.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to boisecynic For This Post: