Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

The Auction of All Time? The Jim Erdle Collection

this thread has 469 replies and has been viewed 146583 times

Old 12-16-2012, 11:31:36 AM
Richard Sturdy

Default Re: The Auction of All Time? The Jim Erdle Collection

Quote:
Originally Posted by German George View Post
You mean stuff like this?

Is there a message in what your doing there?
Where the Blazes did you take that shot George? :
Tricky Dickie
The Following User Says Thank You to For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-2012, 12:52:00 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,628 Times in 722 Posts

Quote:
Ok Checked in the Book of Bill Vosseler More Orphan Tractors
page 80.

It's called the Four Drive Tractor from Big Rapids Michigan made by John Fitch. According to the Book there are 5 Examples left 2in the States 2 in New Zealand and one in Australia. I guess it could be the Model 20-35 made around 1916-19.
George, there is a website all about them here: http://fdtcompany.freeservers.com/FDTractorhome.html

All the best

David
The Following User Says Thank You to David Parfitt For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 01:54:55 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,056 Times in 3,105 Posts

We Were acquainted with Jim for a few years back in the early eighties when he had a 40-80 Avery at the rock river show. Really enjoyed being on the crew with him, had kept in touch for sometime but over the years we haven't kept in touch. Sad to see this collection broken up. Hope I can make it to the sale. Frank J Wurth
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 02:18:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,891 Times in 3,753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
i am very sad to hear that Mr Erdle's collection is up for sale...
Sad to see ANY collection broken up, but at the same time, it was mentioned in an earlier post that many of them haven't been run in many years. This gets them dispersed and spread around for more people to see at various locations.

Without people like Mr. Erldle, and Morris Blomgren and others stashing away all these goodies, they may have been long gone decades ago. As it is, Blomgrens Big 4 is going through a well documented restoration along with helping to restore a few others in the process, and maybe some of Erdle's collection will end up in the hands of others that will get them out there for people to see in action some day in the future.

It's a Win Win situation.

He had the pleasure of owning them all, and now more people have to oportunity to own them or at least be able to see them.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 02:48:24 PM
Subscriber

What a great guy Jim is, I needed a part for my international tractor and I called him up to see if he had a spare. He said he did and I should stop by. when I was there he and his wife insisted that my wife and I stay for supper. After supper he gave me the part and absolutely refused to take any money for it no matter how much I pleaded. That was the first time I had ever been to his place and the first time I met him in person.

Oh yea, I also got the tour. There will never be a collection like his in one spot again. It is just amazing.
Old 12-16-2012, 03:07:47 PM
Registered

I am fortunate enough to live only about 25 miles away from the Erdle collection. Jim has always been a great host & resource. Whatever the feature tractor brand at the Canadaigua show, he always has a few rare items to display.

I will never forget my first visit there. I was all of 12 yrs old in 1982. Our tour started in the workshop & dad/Jim chatted for a bit.

Anyone remember when he had an ice cream vending machine in the shop? Made quite an impression on me as a youngster.

We walked out the side door of the shop that day to open up the unheated storage end. I remember pointing out a couple of spoker D's that were sitting in the weeds by an adjacent building & asking Jim why he wouldn't keep such "rare" tractors indoors?

He did stop laughing after a couple of minutes. A real eye opening experience as I had been going to shows for years with my grandfather/dad & knew Jim, but had never made the pilgrimage to Jim's before. I only had known him from seeing him @ shows.

The line drive tractors were always some of my favorites as a kid. Taking the reins on the Lacrosse in the parade was quite the honor as a young child.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rich Wood For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 03:13:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,471 Times in 275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Sad to see ANY collection broken up, but at the same time, it was mentioned in an earlier post that many of them haven't been run in many years. This gets them dispersed and spread around for more people to see at various locations.

maybe some of Erdle's collection will end up in the hands of others that will get them out there for people to see in action some day in the future.

It's a Win Win situation.

He had the pleasure of owning them all, and now more people have to oportunity to own them or at least be able to see them.
I agree 100%, in my opinion if a family member didnt want to take over or couldnt take over the collection an auction or private sale is the way to go. When this stuff ends up in a museum or owned by a show often time its hidden away or neglected. As long as its privatly owned the next young guy can dream of owning it some day and having some fun with the stuff. For example Simplots website says a place for people to dream but what it is really going to be is a place that ruined the dreams of many to own or opperate a bunch of cool rare pcs. In a case like this its a garantee that some of this stuff will leave the country as well which is a sore spot for me but keep in mind it is possible to bring it back. When things get locked away in a museum warhouse or left to rot at the Simplot hippy center its no good for the hobby period. Hope I didnt get off track to much as I would say this auction will be a memory a lot of people will carry with them the rest of their lives just like Oscars sale was for me when I was a kid.

On a side note would anyone have a photo of the engine in the Turnner Simplicity tractor? I am dealing on a Buda engine for my tractor and I would like to verify what I am looking at is correct. Thanks Joe P

PS yes I know I cant spell good
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Joe P For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 04:25:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,802 Times in 613 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edwin View Post
In sure this will be quite the sale im wont be bidding but i wouldnt mind going to watch it all unfold,I kinda feel sorry for those who are already thinking of what they should sell in order to get some cash ready for the auction,guess i should buy a lotto ticket ya just never know.
Never say never always remember 007
Old 12-16-2012, 06:16:34 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTTO-Sawyer View Post
Without people like Mr. Erldle, and Morris Blomgren and others stashing away all these goodies, they may have been long gone decades ago. As it is, Blomgrens Big 4 is going through a well documented restoration along with helping to restore a few others in the process, and maybe some of Erdle's collection will end up in the hands of others that will get them out there for people to see in action some day in the future.

It's a Win Win situation.h

Triple win because jim is still alive and he has the possibilty to see any restoration. On the tractors. Btw iam glad about drunk or sober
He had the pleasure of owning them all, and now more people have to oportunity to own them or at least be able to see them.;
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to German George For This Post:
Old 12-16-2012, 07:52:52 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,696 Times in 2,204 Posts

Quote:
Indeed i saw a few things the first time.
You mean stuff like this?

Is there a message in what your doing there?
That's a very unique E Oilpull flywheel there. George, are you going to specialize in Rumely Oilpulls rather than Hart Parrs? Good move!

---------- Post added at 07:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:19 PM ----------

Yes, Jim was, or is an interesting person to visit with. When I saw this thread, I feared he had passed. When he stopped by here, he had a very special and interesting mechanic, Kent Gibson, with him. He wanted to buy my special F Oilpull ex rims. I had the chance to get a one cylinder tractor running and paraded the day he bought it. It was made in Beloit Wisconsin. That weekend he asked me to drain several which he had just purchased including the 40-80 because he had the long trip back to New York ahead.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 12:20:17 AM
Registered

So which tractor will bring the most $$$$$?
Old 12-17-2012, 12:40:37 AM

Thanked 20,697 Times in 5,986 Posts
Talking Re: The Auction of All Time? The Jim Erdle Collection

I've been waiting for that question........
I think it's going to be either one of the big ones or one of the small ones.
On the big side I'm going with the 40-70 Flour City.
On the small side the Stinson.

Whatever......it's going to be one hell of a sale.......
Old 12-17-2012, 03:35:38 AM
Richard Sturdy

Has to be the Flour City surely? However, there will be a lot of surprises and past experience has taught me that it's impossible to predict such things with any degree of accuracy. With George there though, we can make a pretty accurate prediction that anything with "Hart-Parr" on it will be going for top-dollar (I owed him that one for the picture he posted)
Tricky Dickie
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:15:44 AM
Registered

Richard is that you marking out your territory like an old fox?Do you intend to return with a large suit case of $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnglishDave For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 05:20:27 AM
Richard Sturdy

Gotta mark the territory when George is around Dave. I loved visiting Jim and seeing his collection, so it would be nice to buy something to remember that great day we all had there - I may have to start stuffing that suitcase.
Hope you'll be coming along - maybe with a suitcase of your own!
Tricky Dickie
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:18:42 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Does anyone know if Jim would still show me around if I went out there in April? I got to see Oscar's before it went thanks to my dad and I would love to get out there to see these before they go away with him.

If I had the money, that N&S would come back to West Michigan with me for safe keeping, but alas, I am a poor working slob!
Old 12-17-2012, 01:36:49 PM
Registered

The Flour City was at the Canandaigua Steam Pageant a few years ago. I was standing there admiring it with Jim. I said that I thought it must be a bear to start. Jim handed me the crank and told me to give it a try. I've had a worse time trying to start an F20. What an easy starting and sweet sounding engine. All of those tractors are too rich for my wallet, but I hope they go to a good home with people that will show the next generations how it used to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Norm W For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 01:40:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,984 Times in 2,458 Posts

I would be interested in seeing what the Tillsoil and Stinson tractors bring myself.does anybody know if the Stinson is running or not ?.John
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 02:35:27 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by casertractor View Post
I would be interested in seeing what the Tillsoil and Stinson tractors bring myself.does anybody know if the Stinson is running or not ?.John
Belgium Piet would say"was running when last used"
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to German George For This Post:
Old 12-17-2012, 03:21:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Quote:
Belgium Piet would say"was running when last used"

Was 2 weeks ago near Belgium Piet,

It’s always having an lot of humor and Lol when viziting Piet.

Chris