Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

John Deere D Restoration

this thread has 218 replies and has been viewed 38727 times

Old 12-28-2014, 09:35:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: John Deere D Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrohead View Post
Hi everyone,

Now that winter is here and we have a little more time to spend working on the tractors again there are a few jobs to finish on the old D.
Firstly we found the flywheel moving a little on the crank, the bolts seem to be done up as tight as we can get them sensibly but it still rocks slightly on the crankshaft, should there be a key in the flywheel where the deep groove is? (splined crank) or does anyone have any ideas for stopping the movement?

Thanks
Doug.
There is only a alignment screw in the crankshaft,no keyway. The crankshaft , the flywheel or likely both are worn.you could try some shims but that would only be temp.you may be able to just change the flywheel.if there is someone that has a tractor near you that would let you try their flywheel. It would be best to change crank and flywheel. I really like the look of your tractor .Dan
Sponsored Links
Old 12-28-2014, 09:38:58 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,054 Times in 668 Posts

715 659 4174 for detwilers
Old 12-29-2014, 04:29:50 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanks guys, the flywheel has already been replaced due to a badly cracked original so this is probably where the wear has come from having changed it, the original was tight but couldn't be used. I was wondering about shims or a key. There is one groove deeper than the others on the flywheel, not sure if it's just a marker but wondered if it could be used for a key. It's probably not enough wear for shims to be fitted but is enough that the flywheel can be moved on the crankshaft.

Also need to adjust the oil pressure as its a bit too high.
Old 12-29-2014, 05:08:29 PM
Subscriber

Not often do you see a D flywheel that loosens up as described. I would recommend you take the flywheel off the unit, inspect the shaft real good and make sure it is not hanging up in a burr to keep you from tightening it, also check the bolts real good and make sure the nuts go the proper distance, the bolts may be the problem. Once checked, put back on and be sure you get the proper end play on it, then tighten it down REAL good, alternate sides as you tighten, tighten to like 150 lbs. of torque or better. Since you may have to replace it, I'd cinch it down real good and see if it works. There is one spline different than the other for proper locating on the shaft, I assume you have this positioned correctly.
The Following User Says Thank You to B.C. Cushing For This Post:
Old 12-29-2014, 07:12:25 PM
Subscriber

I would even go a bit further and replace the bolts with fine thread bolts, suck that baby down tight!... What year is this d again?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LukeSte For This Post:
Old 12-30-2014, 08:58:46 AM
Subscriber

I think the idea of using fine threaded bolts and nuts is a good one so you can get better pressure on the bolts, use a hardened washer under the nuts (have it same OD as the nuts) so it will reduce the friction on the nuts against the casting for better pressure on the flywheel. If you do use shims, they need to be very thin and uniform, use brass, slightly thicker than aluminum foil; I have seen it done successfully, even seen guys put on solder then file it down. Not to code but it works. Have also seen pieces from aluminum cans cut up into narrow pieces for shims on the flywheel, not a fan of this however. On the oil pressure, I believe this is a gear pump, the gasket on the front face might be too narrow and may be the problem if pressure is too high. Pull the old gasket and make one out of slightly thicker material, an additional 1/64" makes quite a difference and allows the pump to have some flow by the gears; if you used the same thickness of material as the original it may be another problem and not from pressure but from leakage. How are you checking the pressure - with a gauge? If it is by judging oil leakage out the mains, did you replace the felts? The felts have to be literally pressure stuffed in the retaining box/holder to get minimal leakage, I believe it was pressed wool, very dense. Is the spinner OK on the flywheel side and the pin is in the driver? I fully restored a '25 D and all was to specs and still got some slight leakage at the mains. Hope this helps.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to B.C. Cushing For This Post:
Old 12-30-2014, 12:23:10 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,623 Posts

If you suck it down too tight on a worn crank it will break the flywheel...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 12-30-2014, 07:42:11 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi guys

Regards the oil pressure yes it's too high. The crank and mains have been done so are as new, new cork in the spinner and felt seals. It's not leaking out from these but blowing out from a few places, under the cover plates (these had new gaskets too) around the hole for the water injection rod, took box etc, good for protecting the paint but probably not right. Going by what's said I think the gasket on the gear cover is probably too thin. There is also a relief valve, can that be adjusted? Doesn't look like it can be.

Will try and take a video of the flywheel movement. Might just try tightening it a little more first to see if it's me just no being tough enough on it. It's a 1928 tractor.
Old 12-31-2014, 09:07:53 AM
Subscriber

If the oil is not coming out of the mains and areas where the oil lines deliver oil, then the problem is not oil pressure but is pressure on the back side of the engine pushing the oil out. I know later ones had a breather on them. You might want to try running it with a breather made up out of a piece of pipe (6" long) on the engine oil filler hole. See if you get leakage with this in place. I have seen what you described before on early GP and D when they get alot of blow by on the pistons and they often had a piece of pipe extending up and a cap with drilled holes for a breather on them. Given you have new bearings on the mains and is to spec, be very cautious dropping the oil pressure. All of this is just my opinion, others may have a better take on it.
Old 02-14-2015, 10:47:28 PM
Subscriber

Retro, what did u find out on the flywheel and splines?
Old 02-16-2015, 08:15:12 PM
Email NOT Working

I have not had the time recently to look at the old D but I really should do soon, won't be long until it's coming out of the barn for show season again!
First job is to try and tighten the bolts up on the flywheel more and see if that sorts it out. Also need to get the oil filler cap freed off to try reduce the back pressure a bit when it's running.

Is there any news on sheet metal for these? I'm looking for an airstack, we were going to buy a mushroom top stack from Detwilers along with a new radiator core that it needs and possibly a rad guard to protect it once fitted, where's the best place to get these parts now?
Ideally I'd like to find a twister type pre cleaner though if anyone has or knows of one?
Old 05-12-2015, 12:04:18 AM
Registered

Great job on your restoration, I am restoring an early D also. Could you give me a measurement on the length of the boards for your platform. My platform was totally gone, I did get the other measurements from your pictures. Also Detwilers is still open if you need more parts, they contacted me today letting me know my shipment is leaving there tomorrow. Thank you and Great job.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Wagner For This Post:
Old 05-28-2015, 05:13:47 PM
Email NOT Working

Sorry for late reply Roger. I will measure them for you. They differ for every tractor though so I would advise getting them made slightly larger and then you can adjust them to fit. The first ones I had made were way too small once they had been put through a planing machine to make them smooth and we had to re-do them.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:18:36 PM
Registered

I'm working on my first lawn tractor. It is a John Deere 212. I'm going to completely go from front to back.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hood.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	226792   Click image for larger version

Name:	John Deere.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	226793  
Old 07-13-2015, 07:24:59 PM
Email NOT Working

Still need a new radiator core and an air intake stack. Does anyone know where we could get these from please?
Old 09-17-2015, 09:52:29 PM
Subscriber

Hows the project D going ,,
Old 12-24-2015, 03:54:56 PM
Email NOT Working

Long time since an update. The old D was a big hit at our local steam show in September. Oldest tractor there and won a prize too.

Still need to replace the radiator core this winter and also have an issue with the clutch slipping so need to check into that, possibly just adjustment although I'm worried it may be oil gettig onto the plates as it doesn't slip all the time and gets worse the longer it's been running.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:10:38 AM
Registered

Looks like a lot if very interesting work. Im working on a 1930 myself here in canada. Got 29 as a parts tractor and still lots of things different part numbers. Got a silly question. Did they use metric bolts on tractors sent overseas back then. As they do now for canadian machines now that were metric here. Id post pictures but havent figured how yet
Old 12-31-2015, 10:20:44 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrohead View Post
Long time since an update. The old D was a big hit at our local steam show in September. Oldest tractor there and won a prize too.
Congratulations! My old girl was a hit at the shows over here and I won an award at a show too. Some old fellow with experience in these old toys set up my carb at one show and it never sounded better. I'm not sure if I posted it in my thread in this forum but I posted a couple videos of mine on a Baker Fan in the "smokstak Canada" board in the "Ancaster Fair" thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Old Steel For This Post: