Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

John Deere D Restoration

this thread has 218 replies and has been viewed 38733 times

Old 02-11-2014, 04:42:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: John Deere D Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter1020 View Post
hi twopotlad
so are you going to get the d wright for the show near you I taken you dads jd 60 for you to look at but you was not there see you there peter
Hi peter, Plan to have the D there this year. Was away last summer down under visiting family. Glad to here you got that 60 up and running was a sorry state when I last saw it.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2014, 06:13:56 PM
Email NOT Working

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. Cushing View Post
Nice photos. The steering gear is correct for this number, the finer teeth one is for earlier. There are replacement gears available if needed for this, I think Rosewood has them. The brake band should be an easy find, may have to reline one if you find it, maybe NOS is around. The chains need to be tightened (by rotating the rear quills - see the arrow on the case that is direction to rotate, manual shows proper adjustment), but the gears in both the transmission and crankcase look real good in my opinion. Clutch facings are readily available, I think K and K has them. Good luck on it.
Thanks for your reply, my dad was looking through the parts catalogue on JD site and seems to think it possibly should have the earlier finer tooth type steering still? I have seen other '28's with the same gears as mine though so wasn't sure when It might have changed. It has slightly earlier style front wheels on it with the spin on caps still rather than the later 3 bolt type, guessing by the serial number it's a mid '28 tractor?
Will check the chains, did think they looked a little slack, one more so than the other.
It looks pretty good in there, bit concerned about the rusty look in the bores. The pictures don't show the gear on the crank very well some teeth are more sharp than others.
Still not sure what the clutch facings should look like, Steiner say they can't do them.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:06:17 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,054 Times in 668 Posts

retro....looking at parts index. clutch facing is the same up to sn 109943. regarding the steering, it is the same as mine. if u cant find a clutch lining, pm me. I am going to don dufners soon and can get some for you or do some homework...
Old 02-12-2014, 05:24:43 AM
Email NOT Working

Lightbulb Re: John Deere D Wanted

Thanks Lukeste, I will have a look, is that the type with the metal on it and 3 bolt holes or just the plain ring, I think the plain ring is the one that I have seen listed as 109943 and up but there's no metal come out of the clutch yet unless it's been apart before.. Confused!
Old 02-12-2014, 08:23:06 AM
Registered

Crankshaft gear seems very poor. I had the same problem on my D. I enclose a picture of my steering gear.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	JDM102.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	187715  
Old 02-12-2014, 08:25:36 AM
Registered

I'm sorry my pc has translated. Crankshaft gear is poor. I had the same problem on my D. I enclose a photo of steering gear
Old 02-12-2014, 08:56:36 AM
Subscriber

On the wheels, 68079 used the AD900 front wheels with three bolts holding the cover on according to the parts book No. 40-R dated 5/1/31, however it is not uncommon to see these with screw type hubs, these came in small round, large round and flat spokes. Two Cylinder Club had published and article years ago on wheels and would be the resource to get the exact one. On the steering worm and gear (called a segment), the fine tooth gear D58R with worm D76R was used on 30400 to 95900, the coarse gear D1535R and worm D1536R was used on 95901 to 109943. The cover D768R is available from K and K, Detweiler, or Rosewood from memory. The coarse gears were available to replace the fine gear set, fine gears were not, so it is not uncommon to find the coarse gear set on older tractors than 95900 used as a replacement. Once you put the gear cover on it, it is hard to tell the difference, only the "correct police" will point this out! Hope this helps.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:08:19 PM
Email NOT Working

Thanks very much for the advice. Excellent. The wheels don't worry me too much, I guess they would have used up parts too and as said there were different types. If the steering could/should originally have been the finer type then I might look to change that.
The gear is poor. Not sure whether to do that now or wait. It's going to need the crank out to do it.

---------- Post added at 01:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:01 PM ----------

I am still looking for replacement steel front wheels too so either screw or bolt on type for the cap would be ok.
Old 02-14-2014, 10:11:32 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,054 Times in 668 Posts

retro, getting back to the clutch disks...
the individual disks is pn d384r

the parts book also shows that both the fine tooth steering and coarse tooth steering to be correct in the sn range of not only yours but mine as well. I will say that the coarse tooth is original on mine... has not been replaced, for whatever its worth.

regarding the clutch, I didn't take mine apart because it was already redone, and the parts book does not show the sequence of how the parts go into the clutch.
I will start a new post with where deere has all john deere parts book online for FREE, only have to print them off. from the very very old to the newest on the line.
Old 02-27-2014, 06:28:56 PM
Email NOT Working

Hi Lukeste thanks very much for the info there and part number on the disks.

I still havn't found a way of changing the thread title, could a mod possibly change it from 'wanted' to 'restoration' for me please?

Some more pictures and work recently. I took the rad and head off today too which has revealed some rodent activity.. spot the peanuts in the cylinder!

Lets start with last weeks work and removing the clutch parts. The pulley still needs to come off though and work out why the lever wont lock forward. You will see the remains of the old clutch disks

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...3021.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...683e.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...ded6.jpeg.html
Old 02-27-2014, 06:37:31 PM
Email NOT Working

Starting more of the strip down, hood off and cleaning off some of the thick baked on dirt and grease back to remains of original paint. Hopefully there's enough to save.

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...13f2.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...73ff.jpeg.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retrohead For This Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 06:41:29 PM
Email NOT Working

More broken castings. Turns out both pipes at the bottom of the rad are broken, also the fan drive flange to the govenor has a piece broken and the bracket/quadrant for the clutch lever has been broken and brazed. Once the manifold was removed, a broken piece at the base has been replaced with a bolt brazed in!
And in removing the fan I managed to break one of the alloy disks, it had spun on the keyway so was not easy to remove but ended up breaking anyway.

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...3df1.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...1e5f.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...cb40.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...572a.jpeg.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to retrohead For This Post:
Old 02-27-2014, 06:44:24 PM
Email NOT Working

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...d616.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...ef4e.jpeg.html

No cracks! Just stuck valves..
http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...43ef.jpeg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...a6322.jpg.html
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to retrohead For This Post:
Old 02-28-2014, 11:54:55 PM
Registered

Good stuff. Keep us updated. I have managed to get myself into a 1927 D. Just need to get it shipped here form the other side of Canada and then I'll have a few pictures of my own to share.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Old Steel For This Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 08:23:40 AM
Email NOT Working

Look forward to seeing that. I was looking for a '27 myself before getting this.
Old 03-01-2014, 10:12:15 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,103 Posts

Our 28 D had many of the same issues, those early Ds were used really hard. Most have been just about run to death, they were so much more useful than most others of the period that farmers were always finding work for them rather than doing things by hand or horses. An hour meter would have been interesting to show the totals. Many of those parts are still available new so that really helps. With that much use would be a good idea to check the drive chain slack. The neighbor that had my D also had 2 others and was still plowing with them well into the 70s, I got the last one he still had from his estate sale in the late 70s. At that time most D s could be bought for a few hundred dollars, there were still plenty sitting about. F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 10:52:33 AM
Registered

Here's a couple of pictures of it the seller had posted on Kijiji.

It's Serial # is 51578
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$_20.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	189357   Click image for larger version

Name:	$_22.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	189358  
Old 03-01-2014, 07:32:57 PM
Email NOT Working

I had seen that one advertised, it looks like a nice tractor! Was one that I thought of buying!

FWurth, I think like yours this one has probably been used well into the 70's as well, you can't really kill a D, just wear it out instead..

I have some more pictures to upload from today. I took a shell off a con rod, does anyone know if replacement shells are available to buy? I found mismatched numbers of shims too which is strange, think someone has been in it before.
Also the idler gear is very loose on it's bolt, guessing that needs a new bolt or new bush (not sure which is the more worn) but that gear will need changing anyway.

---------- Post added at 06:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 PM ----------

Another queation.. The counterweight is missing from the crank, is there any reason why this might have been removed? It's been run without it as the bolt hole is full of dirt, maybe this hasn't helped some of the wear?
Old 03-01-2014, 08:05:58 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,103 Posts

That worn idler gear is likely the reason the crank gear is worn, once the gear gets wobble in it, it puts a lot of wear on the drive gear. Never saw a counter weight missing from one before, must have been an interesting moment! Don't know if new inserts are still available, most times you can take out enough shims to cure all problems. Maybe get the rod out and use a bushing hone to true up the inserts, there's usually plenty of material to work with.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:23:48 PM
Email NOT Working

The idler has definitely caused problems, the teeth on it are not straight edged they are curved where the gear has wobbled against the crank gear. If only this had been sorted while it was still in use.

---------- Post added at 12:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 AM ----------

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...3f6d7.jpg.html

http://s276.photobucket.com/user/Doo...0a77.jpeg.html
The Following User Says Thank You to retrohead For This Post: