Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Who has a Hendey?

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2215 times

Old 01-28-2014, 11:21:38 AM
Registered

Default Who has a Hendey?

I have a very old Hendey lathe and near as I can figure was build late 20s early 30s. It has been the work horse of my home shop. What I can not figure out is the plate on the quick change gear box. " feed is 4 time threads per inch" here's my problem 1.5 tip should be the slowest feed and 80 tip should be the fastest feed, however 80 is certainly the finest feed and even at that it's way too fast to get a fine finish. All the Hendey's I've seen have the same plate and it has confused me for years.

Second question is what tailstock taper where used in the early days? #4 morse is too big and 3 is too small. It could be BS but that is my guess. Some day I will have to bore the barrel or make a sleeve but some people say a taper must be ground to be correct so I haven't crossed that bridge yet. I thought I'd ask around and see what you thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to shakeyjake36 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2014, 11:34:56 AM
Registered

Default Re: Who has a Hendey ?

This question might get a faster answer on the Practical Machinist web site in the Antique Machinery thread.

You do have to register and when posting be specific with the title of your post. You do not want it closed/locked because of a "meaningless" according to the moderator, title.
Old 01-28-2014, 05:24:20 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts
Default Re: Who has a Hendey?

Why would you think 1.5 tpi is a finer feed than 80? Are you feeding with the half-nuts?
Old 01-28-2014, 06:09:14 PM
Subscriber

TPI= Threads per inch.

1.5 tpi = .666 thou. per inch

80 tpi = .0011 thou. per inch when using the half nut

I am not familiar with a hendey, but most lathes have a feed engagement lever that is separate of the thread engagement lever.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:46:43 PM
Registered

Most Hendy's have a knurled wheel in the center of the carriage feed that when tightened will start the feed. That is assuming that the rears are engaged with the headstock and the carriage/threading selector on the apron is in the correct position.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:29:19 PM
Registered

Check this out http://www.lathes.co.uk/hendey/index.html . If you can determine the model from the pictures the info you need should be there.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:21 PM ----------

Oh, forgot to mention, I have a Logan that you have to use the half nuts for feeding. It doesn't really feed slow enough to get a good finish either. Google tangential shear tool. This lathe tool will produce a excellent finish at the feeds we are referring to. Actually, here is a good link. http://www.gadgetbuilder.com/VerticalShearBit.html
Old 01-29-2014, 07:31:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,154 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyjake36 View Post
here's my problem 1.5 tip should be the slowest feed and 80 tip should be the fastest feed, however 80 is certainly the finest feed and even at that it's way too fast to get a fine finish. All the Hendey's I've seen have the same plate and it has confused me for years.

You're thinking bassackwards Jake.
Think of it like this .... At 1.5 TPI .. the tool will only make 1.5 revolutions per inch travel. At 80 TPI .. the tool will make 80 revolutions per inch of travel.

I know the tool isn't rotating ... the part is.
Old 01-30-2014, 02:05:11 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
Why would you think 1.5 tpi is a finer feed than 80? Are you feeding with the half-nuts?
" feed = 4 times tpi". 1.5 x4 =6. 80x4 =320
No I'm not feeding with the half-nut

Glenn, you may be on to something .

I have always just made do with this machine but this has bugged me for years. Thanks for the posts.