Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Treasure In The Creek

this thread has 148 replies and has been viewed 51413 times

Old 10-12-2014, 11:48:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,440 Times in 353 Posts
Default Re: Treasure In The Creek

Rumely. Its a 1912 we think but cant read the full serial #. Starts with 5

---------- Post added at 10:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

My helper today. He was dressed and had his gloves on before I even got out of bed. He dug for 6 hours.

The Following 114 Users Say Thank You to Caleb Carpenter For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-2014, 10:17:16 AM
Subscriber

Are you sure the serial # doesn't start with a 8, this looks like a later Model Single Rumely with the truss rods on it, also looks like in one of the other pictures that it had the narrow cooler. Looks like a good project and to quote Harold Ottaway "Remember the Kimberly Diamond looked like a clod of dirt when first found". Good luck with your find. John Tysse Jr.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to John Tysse Jr. For This Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:37:51 AM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,038 Times in 3,098 Posts

It's a short radiator tractor, if you look at the pictures linked to post # 27 you can see the radiator in front of the chassis before removal from it's resting place. F.J.W.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 04:25:48 PM
Subscriber

1912 catalog shows small radiator and no trusses. 1913 shows small radiator and trusses. I think there was discussion on here a year or two ago talking about this. Ill have to consults my uncle's parts book.
Seen 1912's with trusses.
The number is definitely a 5.

---------- Post added at 03:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:10 PM ----------

About post 47

http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showth...t=34998&page=3
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Caleb Carpenter For This Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 06:18:43 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,604 Times in 7,468 Posts

I would just like to add my best wishes for this project. This looks like a great adventure and it would be fantastic to be part of such a recovery.
Thank you for sharing the story with us.
RM
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 10-13-2014, 10:04:45 PM
Subscriber

I dont know what the number 5 is for but I tried the flat file and torch trick and got 6837 or 6887 so that would make it a '13, but its definitely 68X7 on the crank. I think the axle has been hammered on so its not really legible with the same trick but I can barely make out X8X7. They just looked like pitts until the torch popped some rust out.
There is also a letter "U" on the axle if anyone knows what that might stand for. Kinda funny that the most pitting i can find in one place is on the crank end

---------- Post added at 08:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 PM ----------

Missing some key parts
Top cover, main caps, cam, cam caps, rod, piston, governor, head, valve train.
It looks as though it wasnt scrappers but someone trying to salvage parts. They were attempting to pull the crank and didnt quite get it. Its up out of the main saddles.

This looks as though it could have been an OSHA recordable near miss.

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

I've already removed the differential since this was taken and it now will roll

Old 10-13-2014, 11:25:27 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Caleb,

On some later F’s you can also find the serial number stamp on top front of the chassis beam.

Keep posting,

Awesome !

Chris,

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 10-14-2014 at 08:17:46 AM. Reason: writing mistake
Old 10-14-2014, 06:35:33 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Treasure In The Creek

Caleb,
You're missing some parts, but you've got a WHOLE lot of a tractor there! You lucky dawg, you!

Mike M
Old 10-14-2014, 10:24:36 PM
Registered

Quote:
My helper today. He was dressed and had his gloves on before I even got out of bed. He dug for 6 hours.
I really like the f rumely, but but I think the biggest treasure is standing in front of the tractor!! Dan
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dan thomas For This Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 11:02:57 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,093 Times in 318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan thomas View Post
I really like the f rumely, but but I think the biggest treasure is standing in front of the tractor!! Dan
Agreed. That's the future of our hobby, front and center.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jon Nessel For This Post:
Old 10-14-2014, 11:13:11 PM
Subscriber

Dan- as soon as I walked in the door he paused whatever game he had In his xbox and asked me if I was going to clean more sand out of the crankcase. I said yes and asked him if he had homework. He lied and said no so he could go clean till dark. Turns out he had spelling words and math ( didn't find out until after dark and mom asked him)
Now I had to punish him for lying to me but after I read your post about him standing in front of the F its makes me feel bad for punishing him because he made a bad judgment call and wanted to help. Even though it was the right thing to do he doesn't get xbox or tv till saturday. But he can still clean dig and scrape sand with me!
He doesn't troll stak yet so that's between us
Old 10-14-2014, 11:33:56 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

It's only a matter of time, Caleb. I will soon have to start arming my sons with web knowledge also, scary as that is..... Seeing as the web is their future (for better or worse), it only makes sense. Can't wait to see more.
Old 10-15-2014, 12:17:15 AM
Subscriber

Caleb,

What you guys are doing is priceless whether you get the tractor running or not. This thread is better then a movie. I cannot wait to check on the progress. It's not too early to start asking for parts. Good Luck with this project. Rick
Old 10-15-2014, 06:30:36 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,234 Times in 905 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Carpenter View Post
Now I had to punish him for lying to me but after I read your post about him standing in front of the F its makes me feel bad for punishing him because he made a bad judgment call and wanted to help. Even though it was the right thing to do he doesn't get xbox or tv till saturday. But he can still clean dig and scrape sand with me!
Please don't ever feel bad about punishing the child for doing wrong. Having had a hand in raising 6 kids (2 of my own and 4 step kids) I am by no means an expert or perfect at it but they do need to be taught the difference between right and wrong. And someday you may need to punish him with something he really likes...working on the Rumley. He is indeed the future of the hobby. Let's do our part to provide the direction to a good future.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JSWithers For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 08:39:26 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,513 Times in 661 Posts

I always thought homework was over rated,
(when I was in school)

Seriously you have a great find Caleb and a Great helper!

Steve

Last edited by Steve Kunz; 10-15-2014 at 09:23:35 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve Kunz For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 01:09:48 PM
Subscriber

Great thread! Are you going to be fighting freezing ground if winter decides to show up? What about running water?
Old 10-15-2014, 05:31:56 PM
Subscriber

Caleb, he may have made the wrong choice in lying about his homework so he could work on the tractor with you, but it got him quit playing the video games. In my opinion those games are worse for the kid than ever working on any old piece of rusty iron. Keep him working in the iron and forget the video games, he'll be a better person for it. Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 10-15-2014, 05:42:43 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts
Talking Re: Treasure In The Creek

While I never raised any kids of my own I do have 2 granddaughters........yep.......skipped KIDS and went straight to grandkids.......
Every once in a while ya gotta cut 'em some slack.......
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 10-16-2014, 12:54:27 AM
Registered

Caleb, Sure is an interesting story so far. What brand and model of Metal Detector do you own and were using to find the Rumely and steam engines? I know of some buried treasure up my way and would like to get the same brand so I could have the same results. Also you did not post any photos of the recovery of the
Rumely from the 10 foot deep sandy grave it was in. The back yard one man sewer pipe diggers you show in the early photos do not look like they would lift a pint sized septic tank let alone a 16,000 pound Rumely tractor from a 10 foot deep hole. The world would sure like to know how you pulled that off??????????? Thanks Wayne
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Wayne Walker Jr For This Post:
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56:23 AM
Subscriber

It was nasty out the day of . We built a ramp down to it and used a tandem pole truck to lift it. It was getting late in the evening when we finally got it out. We used our smaller winch truck to winch out the tandem and had a 4wd tractor there to pull on any thing that got stuck. The little excavator had to be used as that f had quite the suction on it on the rear wheels and if you were to just pull on it, well it would have been destroyed. Some of the steam engines around there had front axles on them and were pulled out by another person with a big excavator while I was gone at work. They no long have front axles attached............... what was not broke by scrappers is broke now. So I took off last friday in the rain and got the F before any damage could be done. Wanted to take pictures but just to pissed off. All the cable was pulled out of the ground also and that was an easy way to know what direction to look.

Metal detectors wont got very deep. Ours a newer whites model will pickup large objects about 4'-6' deep we used a pipeline locator on the cable and then just followed the cable by digging down to every 30 yards or so. We also did alot of witching with brass rod and it works quite well on the cablebut there is no longer any cable to follow