Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Atlas Lathe

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2870 times

Old 02-12-2015, 07:19:43 PM
Registered

Default Atlas Lathe

I want to think all you guys for helping me about my lathe , I went on and bought the 12"x 36" Atlas it is a one owner I even has the book & bill of sales, But it has a 1/16 hp motor, I can change the motor to a 1/2 or 3/4 hp. I would check with you guys to be sure what size the pulley should be
Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-2015, 07:27:43 PM
Registered

Default Re: Atlas Lathe

Glad you got it. I have two lathes. My first is a craftsman 6" one I bought after getting home from the navy. That one has a 1/3 hp motor with reversing drum switch. $0 years old and still runs. The newest one is a jet 13x40 with 2 hp motor. Nice toys to have and play with. Now you can get the catalogs from Enco, Travers Tool,and MSC. And have Christmas everytime you open the boxes with your goodies inside. but be warned lathes are like the old razors they used to almost give away and then you still have to buy the blades. You get the lathe and then the tooling. Have fun. Frank
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Frank46 For This Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 07:47:45 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,417 Times in 2,722 Posts

Was this about the problematic chin lathe?

If so, congrats for going retro into something that is/was actually designed to do something.
The Following User Says Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Old 02-12-2015, 10:14:28 PM
Hoarder

Thanked 3,204 Times in 990 Posts

The original Atlas motor should have been 1/2hp.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mike Monnier For This Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 12:12:17 AM
Subscriber

On my old 10" Atlas, I have a 3/4 hp - 1725 rpm motor. The motor pulley is a two step , 4 -1/2 inch and 2 inch, this matches up to the large two step pulley on the jack shaft. Normally the two inch motor pulley is used. The larger 4 -1/2 " provides much too high a speed for any usual metal work.
Yes, and a reversing drum switch is very useful.
The spiral bound black Atlas book is the best "how to" for lathe operation, in my opinion.
More comprehensive than the ole' standard, South Bend " How to run an Lathe"
Joe B
The Following User Says Thank You to JoeCB For This Post:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:00:15 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,061 Posts

My Atlas 12 x 36 came to me (1990) with a 3/4 Hp non-reversible motor, not happy with the torque on hogging cuts, I did some shopping around and found a 1 1/2 hp motor at the Surplus Center. It was a capacitor start/run motor, by removing them from the motor and mounting them remotely that motor just barely fit. Added a reversing drum switch at the same time and its worked like a charm ever since.

If I was going to do it again I might consider going to a PMDC motor with a speed controller
Old 02-14-2015, 10:23:11 AM
eMail NOT Working

One could use any SIZE of motor... given same shaft RPM, the sheave size will be same, unless you wanted a different speed range, or variety of speeds... the difference being available torque. I would recommend, because of it's relative strength limitations, that if you fit it with anything larger than the original motor design size, always opt for lighter cuts... Do keep the drive belt barely tight enough to take the cut, don't hog too deep, don't crash into the chuck, and DON'T Shift the leadscrew box with the lathe running- the box, and it's contents, are somewhat fragile and very intolerant of heavy-hand operation... and if you go looking, you'll find MANY Atlas and Atlas-Craftsman lathes with broken leadscrew shift boxes, and replacements are NOT easy to find... they're typically the first thing to break.

I've had two Atlas lathes, one was the "MetalCraft" labeled first generation, and another from the '50's and to their merit, they were compact, simple to understand, and served me well cutting lots of parts I would NOT have been able to make without a lathe... but since then, I've had many heavier machines and learned many lessons... one being that having a functioning leadscrew drive (which the first one did not) was an important thing, and finding repair parts (to make the second one work) was a tough job.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dkamp For This Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 11:01:46 AM
Subscriber

Hi guys. Got a 1911 big LeBlond lathe last summer. It has a 7 HP motor with hydrolic drive. Has controle that gives any speed and direction. Now I just have to learn how to youse it. Some one has changed the lead screw drive from a gear to a chane and reduced it,s speed too 1/3 pf original. Cheers Bill H.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHoward For This Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 05:24:14 PM
Registered

I would guess if someone changed the screw drive cutting thread cutting is not in the future of this machine
The Following User Says Thank You to John C Walker For This Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 05:45:02 PM
Subscriber

That's wright, but I don't think I,l ever need to make a thead anyway. Bill H.
The Following User Says Thank You to BHoward For This Post:
Old 02-14-2015, 06:05:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,180 Times in 2,061 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkamp View Post
I would recommend, because of it's relative strength limitations, that if you fit it with anything larger than the original motor design size, always opt for lighter cuts...
If using the lead screw, yes. If I'm doing hogging cuts I DO NOT use the lead screw, just the hand wheel, with a sharp bit I can get almost a 1/4" cut. The motor that came on my lathe could not even handle an 1/8" cut without stalling. 25 years and I have not broken a gear yet, but I sure would like to get the Standard-Modern lathe out of the semi trailer that is holding it hostage
Old 02-15-2015, 03:38:44 PM
Registered

I don't believe I have ever heard of a 12x36 anything with a 1/16 motor on it. Something is wrong here. Don't be afraid to upgrade that to 3/4 or even 1 hp. If you are driving a powerful car or running a powerful lathe, the ability to screw up is in your hands not the machine.
The Following User Says Thank You to John C Walker For This Post: