Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

McCormick Deering 22-36 in Tennessee

this thread has 247 replies and has been viewed 31898 times

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41:59 PM
Registered

Default Re: McCormick Deering 22-36 in Tennessee

Stuck valves are a common problem on these tractors. Just sitting during the off season I've had one stick although not bad. Dad told me grandpa always pulled the valve cover off at the end of the threshing season and oiled all the valve stems well. I use cork for the gasket and find it works well. Use adhesive on the head side so it stays put when you remove the cover (which you'll do often. I finished an engine overhaul on mine earlier this summer. Ran well the first few times then one cylinder started cutting out. When I rechecked the valve clearances one was almost 1/4". This caused the plug to foul eventually. I rechecked/reset all clearance and replaced the plugs. So far its been running well since but have only run it a couple hours. Going to plow with it this weekend. This will be its first workout since the rebuild. I've also had problems starting it by hand. Today it started on the 2nd crank. I concluded I've been flooding it. Today I cranked a double compression with full choke and mag off. I then turned on the mag and turned off the choke. Started on first half crank. I think your next run with valve clearance reset and all valves moving freely will make a world of difference!!
Ric
The Following User Says Thank You to Ric Murphy For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2015, 09:44:12 PM
Registered

After getting the valves in what looked to be working order,
filling the dripper trays,
filling up the cooling system (just to see the few minor leaks that need fixing),
installing new plugs,
learning how to adjust the timing (for starting),
Big Bertha got cranked over. Once getting it up on a compression stroke, and with valves seated like they should be, it felt a little tougher to pull on the crank handle. The video shows the large cubic inch four cylinder fire on the third pull. It kind of caught me off guard. But boy was I glad to hear it.

https://youtu.be/zpW3PXGOsSU
The Following User Says Thank You to rwood64083 For This Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 09:46:21 PM
Registered

The other 2 cups are primer cups. You can squirt some gas in them to aid in starting cold. Most people don't use them from what I've heard. The manual is pretty vague on how much fuel you should actually use.
Ric
Old 09-07-2015, 09:51:38 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Rick. When I had the primer cups off and after cleaning them well, I sprayed carb cleaner in them both and let them sit upright. This is without the tubes under them. They never drained down. Don't know if the check valves in them are stuck. Matters not since I probably won't be using them. Although, you will find humor in the fact I put 3 or 4 squirts of oil down each hole before re-installing the primer cups. Guess that's why there was a little blue smoke when I got it started
Old 09-07-2015, 09:59:11 PM
Registered

You're welcome! Have you had a chance to drive the old girl yet? That's when the fun begins. Them steel wheels will mess up a yard or lane way pretty quick. It'll also shake the teeth out of your mouth on a hard hard gravel road. Dad always said to keep one wheel in grassy shoulder when you can to improve the ride. Really does help.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:27:37 PM
Registered

After I shut the engine down on Bertha, I went in the house for lunch and take a short break. The next video is my first attempts in making this thing move. Try not to laugh too much, I didn't know shift pattern. Had to run through all positions and make sure I didn't run over my brush hog trying to find reverse.

Towards the end of the video I stopped the tractor and it decided it wanted to shut itself down. Couldn't tell if it was acting like it was starving for fuel or?
Took a few tries but got it cranked back up and put back under cover for the evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMWh...ature=youtu.be

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:06 PM ----------

Tomorrows list of fixes includes repairing the stripped out hole right behind the radiator cap and getting a new bolt to hold the front of the hood in place.

Not mandatory right now but would like to get a new fan belt. This one's missing chunks on the inside.

Of course, recheck valve clearances and install a cover gasket.

I may try to change the oil. Who knows how old the oil is that's in there.
Suggestions on weights? Rotella straight weight oils?

Going to drain what little fuel I put in the tank back out, check fuel lines and shut off valve, then start with some fresh fuel again. I think I loosened a little sediment from the bottom of the fuel tank.

Will be removing the air cleaning assembly and cleaning it out thoroughly.

While I'm at the auto parts store I may as well pick up a few tubes of grease. Looks like a lot of grease zerts on this machine and the joints all need filling.

Can someone tell me what this little valve is for on the piping near the lower radiator hose?

Also, anything significant about the numbers on the casting right behind the radiator cap?
(726-D #1)

---------- Post added at 09:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

That's all I have for today. Will continue to take photos of any work/progress I'm making on this ole girl. Getting excited with it running. Hoping to put her in the vintage tractor pull this Friday night at Pioneer Days in Eagleville Tennessee.

http://www.eaglevilletvppa.com/

Thanks for all the help guys. I sure have needed the direction with this one.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:35:47 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,051 Times in 3,103 Posts

That little valve is to use to drain the cooling system. Those numbers on the casting are simply the part numbers for that casting.
The Following User Says Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 10:39:25 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,410 Times in 1,553 Posts

You DID learn how to adjust the timin fer startin. Now you need to learn how to adjust (advance) it fer runnin. Yur gittin there.
The Following User Says Thank You to HBurk For This Post:
Old 09-07-2015, 10:44:31 PM
Registered

My water pump and plumbing is different than yours but I assume that's a drain plug to get water completely out.
I use SAE 30 low ash (non detergent) oil in all my IH tractors. I buy it from CaseIH but an equivelent may be available elsewhere. Change the filter also.
Looks like your air breather is not connected?? It's an oil bath cleaner. Remove the oil cup at the bottom, clean out any crap and refill with clean oil to the level marked. Get a piece of hose and reconnect it. It will effect your carb settings and the way it runs.
The number on the rad top is the part number. IH cast the part number into virtually every part on their tractors. Very helpful when looking for replacements.
Good idea to flush the fuel tank again also. Don't know how long the tractors been sitting but there's bound to be junk in there that may be causing problems.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:58:48 PM
Registered

You are correct Ric. Air filter is not connected to the carb. I kept having carb leaking issues when trying to start it. That and I wasn't convinced the choke flap was opening all the way when running and pushing the rod and lever all the way in. Gave me opportunity to check it while running.

You mentioned changing the filter. I'm guessing I'm not going to find a replacement anywhere local. Suggestions?

I think I know but would you explain the valves on the side of the oil pan?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:15:06 PM

Thanked 20,676 Times in 5,985 Posts

Exciting ain't it?........
And SOMETIMES it's exciting in another way........
LOL
Old 09-08-2015, 06:41:02 AM
Registered

Some auto parts stores can get if you can give a number and brand to cross ref. After you drain the oil, pull the filter and look for info on it. It might even be a reusable one. Mine still had the original, washable metal filter but I changed it to a disposble paper one. I get them at the local CaseIH dealer. I can get you a part number if you need it.
The valves on the side of the oil pan are to check your oil level. There is likely 3 on yours. A min, max and a larger drain one in the middle. The earlier 15-30 tractor did not have an oil filter. The manual suggested you drain the oil down to that level and refill with clean oil at specified intervals
Ric
Old 09-08-2015, 07:26:55 AM
Registered

I was kind of thinking that was why so many valves after scratching my head a bit not finding a dipstick

Yes, if you have an oil filter part number that would be great

---------- Post added at 06:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:19 AM ----------

In the video I posted when operating the tractor on it's maiden roll around the property... I stopped, put it in neutral and tried to engage the belt pulley. It didn't want to the handle was a bit stuck and would't move. I had noticed before I got the tractor running I couldn't get that lever to move then either. So I let out on the clutch pedal almost the whole way while pulling on the belt drive lever until I felt it start to release, pushed back down on the pedal and the lever slide into place and engaged the pulley. Sounds silly but I can get mesmerized watching that thing spin
Old 09-08-2015, 07:45:51 AM
Registered

The primer cups turn about a half a turn opening up so fuel can enter valve chamber then close cup,or you will have a air leak.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:50:51 AM
Registered

Great! Thanks for the info. I'll try to get them to open. I tried to twist them with no luck and didn't want to put pliers and wrench on them not knowing what the function is. Just be nice to know they are operable.
Old 09-08-2015, 08:33:32 AM
Registered

CaseIH part number for the oil filter is 3062832R91
Old 09-08-2015, 08:37:48 AM
Registered

Something else to check,be sure to drain the transmission,not sure about 22-36's but my 10-20 has three drain plugs,lot's of water in there with very little something that's called gear grease! YUK!
Old 09-08-2015, 08:51:55 AM
Registered

Thanks again Ric

Gear grease you say? Hmmm... maybe you just drain the moisture from the system? Wonder if that was updated in later years to run gear lube.
Thanks Macey
Old 09-09-2015, 11:47:05 PM
Registered

Good job on getting your 22-36 running! Was wondering if you or anyone else could point me in the right direction on finding a Robin S45 carburetor for a 15-30 McCormick Deering. It has been converted with the Robin manifold setup. The S45 carb I have is in need of a main jet,lower bowl t-screw,float and bowl gasket. Being made of cast iron they corroded easy!
Thanks
Old 09-10-2015, 04:23:48 PM
Registered

I will get on the computer later tonight and contact the guy I bought mine from in Canada. Met him through Ebay. Good guy to work with.