Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Wallis Cub Jr Restoration

this thread has 35 replies and has been viewed 7215 times

Old 01-09-2016, 08:19:54 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts
Default Wallis Cub Jr Restoration

In 2012 I managed to purchase parts for this Cub Jr and a Wallis K on an auction in Tobias Nebraska. The Cub Jr was my main interest on the auction, but it was in terrible shape and had been robbed of several parts to keep the other Wallis tractor going as well as making modifications to it. Sadly the farmer did lots of damage to the Cub Jr when taking parts from it. The frame was cut in half when the front end was used on the K along with the rear axle housings. These were cut down to use on the K to extend the width for a row crop type tractor. On the sale I was disappointed to not find the original engine. The engine used on the Wallis K is nearly identical to the older Cub Jr aside from the Wallis name cast into the side. So far I have not been able to buy an original Cub Jr engine but I have a newer K engine to use that is about 2000-3000 serial numbers higher than a Cub Jr would have. This is obviously a Major project but in the end it will probably be worth it. Parts are hard to come by so I am always looking to find anything used on these early Wallis tractors.

This series of photo's show the parts as I got them and how it will look when done.

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2016, 08:33:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: Wallis Cub Jr Restoration

Restoration work has been slow in the last 3 years but I am hoping to have it done by 2017 for its 100 birthday. So far I have just been jumping around on fixing parts with no real order and no rush! The frame was an initial concern since it is practically the backbone of the tractor so the front gooseneck and rear end were separated from the original frame pieces to get a new U frame rolled. I am hoping the new U frame will be done very soon. This Fall I started working on the transmission case. The original transmission was missing all of the gears and shafts when I got it but luckily the newer K and OK Wallis used the same gears with different shaft's and bearings. I have all the gears and shafts from the K so they will be modified to work in the Cub Jr. The main difference was Hyatt bearings on the Cub JR and Timken tapered bearings on the K.

Old 01-09-2016, 10:05:43 PM
Registered

The front wheel's that I got were both horribly worn out so it required some thought on what to do rebuilding them. Originally they had two Hyatt bearings and a felt seal housed in the outside "bearing blocks". The original bearings wore out and lead the front wheel to move around wearing out the seal area on the hub and wearing down the outside bearing blocks. One of the original bearing blocks is being turned into a pattern to recast new ones since about 1/4" was worn off the sides. Matt Folstad (Sprint8f) has helped me out a bunch on my projects and he welded up the seal area on the front wheel hub so I could remachine it. I decided to convert the front wheel to Timken tapered bearings and a normal oil seal. All of this is enclosed in the hub so it wont be seen and I have a dislike of Hyatt bearings. Here are a few photo's of the wheel disassembly and some of the machining I did. The seal area was brought back from razor thin to about .250"

Old 01-10-2016, 12:50:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanks for posting the pictures. That is what I need to do to my front wheel hubs. Allan
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldtech For This Post:
Old 01-10-2016, 11:03:42 PM
Registered

Today I got to work on the project again for a few hours. We got the crankshaft pulley and crank gear removed so the crankshaft could be reground.

Then the cylinder head was next. I had another cylinder head cleaned up for this project a while back but it turned out to be cracked and rusted through into the water jacket. This new cylinder head was in tough shape too. After the valves were out I seen just how bad it was. So now the hunt is on for a new cylinder head since I am all out of extras.

Old 01-16-2016, 02:52:45 PM
Registered

Didn't get much done this week, But I did get two water pumps cleaned and new bushings installed. Both of these had been rebuilt before. One had an oversized shaft, and the other had the shaft brazed up and then they wore it out again! The water pump with the oversized shaft ended up with a thick bushing but I will work just as good. Sometime soon I need to machine the new shafts, packing nuts, and a couple impellers.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 08:23:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Tom,
You have a large project in front of you!
The Wallis line has an important place in our rich agricultural history. They were ahead of their time and proved to be good machines for many years.
You are a dedicated and talented young man. I hope you find all the parts you need.
Thanks for saving so much great old history,
Tony
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 02-21-2016, 11:02:54 PM
Registered

Have not got a lot done on this project lately, a few other things have been taking my time. Anyway I picked up the new U-frame steel about a month ago. The new rolled section is going to require lots of cutting but I think I have a decent plan. I did get a model drawn of the new water pump impeller so I can program and machine a few new ones. The latest project is a few Bennett carburetors to rebuild, this Cub Jr is going to use a kerosene Bennett carburetor that is taken apart in the box. All of these carburetors need new throttle shafts, bushings, floats, needle and seat, and quite a few little missing parts. I like collecting Bennett carburetors so if there is any out there for sale I would be interested!

Old 02-23-2016, 11:50:41 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,052 Times in 667 Posts

How thick us them metal for the tub?
The Following User Says Thank You to LukeSte For This Post:
Old 02-23-2016, 12:32:33 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukeste View Post
How thick us them metal for the tub?
It is 3/16" Grade 50.

Last night I cut the last baffle out of the old frame so I could set that on top of the new steel to trace the ends. Then I was able to cut the back angle according to the old frame. The old frame seems to be not square so I may end up recutting it to straighten it up a bit. We had the shop forman helping last night too.

Old 02-23-2016, 02:32:49 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,052 Times in 667 Posts

I see Colten has pop in the shop just like my kids!
Old 03-07-2016, 12:16:42 AM
Registered

Made some slow progress today. The rear end is fitted good enough, I have 3 holes drilled and will work on drilling the rest after we square it up just a bit more. The two pieces of steel clamped on the top are a quick visual to set a line for the top of the frame. Hopefully by the time everything is cut and drilled it all works out.

Old 03-09-2016, 12:40:53 AM
Registered

Tonight I did a little bit more machining on the carburetor project. Last week I made a fixture to hold the carburetor body for cutting the new bores to hold the throttle shaft bushings. The first carburetor turned out really well. I forgot to take photos of that deal so maybe this week I will finish the rest and take some photos. Anyway tonight was the time for new throttle shafts. For some reason Bennett had a washer on the end on the throttle shaft so that required a little bit of trial to get working. The brass shaft had to be cut for a small boss to hold the washer and a little extra to rivet over and hold it in place. Then the new shafts could be machined for the butterfly and mounting screws. I modified the original design to make it easier to machine by have a step instead of a slot. After cutting away this material the brass rod pulled about .010-.015" so they will need to be straightened a little before final installation. Anyway here's a few photos of the 10 throttle shafts that I finished and my second op soft jaws to hold onto them.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:36:46 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Looks awesome! Somehow I missed this one along the way.....
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 03-20-2016, 09:44:00 PM
Registered

I have still been working on the frame for the last couple weeks. It is really starting to come together. The rest of the holes for the rear end were drilled, then I was able to flip it over again to mark out the front end of the frame so I could cut it to length and get the angle correct. After I cut the length it was flipped over again to drill the 14 holes for the front gooseneck. Now that the front and rear ends are mounted I can cut the extra material off the top. Then hopefully it will look like it should again. Still a bunch more work left with this new steel.

Old 03-21-2016, 07:00:39 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 4,872 Times in 946 Posts

This is a wonderful restoration project that few would tackle. I know the bolts are temporary but what will you be using for the final connection. Original hot rivets ????
You seem to have a great machine shop. Is it in your shop or somewhere else??? Looking forward to the continuing story and the finished result. Great work so far. Ed B
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed Bezanson For This Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 08:35:20 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Bezanson View Post
This is a wonderful restoration project that few would tackle. I know the bolts are temporary but what will you be using for the final connection. Original hot rivets ????
You seem to have a great machine shop. Is it in your shop or somewhere else??? Looking forward to the continuing story and the finished result. Great work so far. Ed B
Thanks for the encouragement Ed, the frame will be hot riveted when everything is finalized. We have not figured out yet if we can use a river pincher on it or if needs to be done with an air hammer. There may not be enough room to get a pincher around the curve.

The frame is at a friends shop in town that has helped me out quite a bit with the project. The machining equipment is where I work as a CNC programmer. My main machines to program for are two large 5 axis mills and fill in with 5 axis lathe programming and 3 axis mill programming. It's a fun job that gets you thinking about how you would make everything in sight
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 09:14:04 PM
Subscriber

This is so awesome! I can appreciate the amount of time and effort you are putting into this tractor, and applaud you for taking the challenge on. I look forward to following this project, and learning about Wallis's and this Cub Jr.. I am amazed and impressed at what can be done when one has access to appropriate fancy machinery (and I'm not gonna lie, a bit jealous )

Not knowing much (or really anything) about these tractors, I'm wondering how rare are they?

Keep up the good work, and keep the pics coming!
The Following User Says Thank You to Jacob WI For This Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 09:29:52 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Jacob,
For more info on these, try David's site:

Steel Wheels Wallis section

His page lists 23 in existence that are registered. Not common by any means!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 03-21-2016, 10:39:57 PM
Registered

I have seen or heard of around 35 Cub Jr's worldwide. There are only 4-5 runners that I can think of in the US with around 10 worldwide so the chances of seeing one at a show is kind of slim. I'm sure there are a few more out there!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post: