Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines > Garden Tractors and Mowers
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Garden Tractors and Mowers Vintage lawn and garden tractors, mowers, snow blowers, snowmobiles and other old machinery that is driven by small air cooled engines.

Garden Tractors and Mowers

need help with who made this mower

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 693 times

Old 07-27-2019, 07:32:26 PM
Registered

Default need help with who made this mower

my father got this for me around 1975 the briggs engine dates it to around 1967 i have looked at many pictures and can't find one like it it seems many looked the same and shared similar features it looks close to a huffy or rungg any help would be great thanking all in advance please be patient as I'm slowly learning how post things !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0568.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	340170  
The Following User Says Thank You to ruxton auto For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2019, 01:52:29 AM
Registered

Default Re: need help with who made this mower

That is very similar to an old MTD Lawn Mower I used to have. It had a 5HP Briggs and one speed forward/reverse. The only bad thing about it was that solid axle in the rear, which made it a bear to handle on any kind of a slope.
Old 07-30-2019, 02:58:16 PM

Thanked 6,766 Times in 4,300 Posts

The single 30" blade, mounted directly to the crank was a pain too. Whack an exposed root and or a rock and good by crank! I had one with a 5 HP B&S engine, that I mounted a weight to the crank instead of the blade, and rode in the trails in the local woods for a couple of years. I changed the ratio of the chain drive and the transmission Vee belts, and that old mower could do nearly 25 MPH! Braking sucked, so going down hils was scary, but it made for neat hill climbing! You couldnt kill that old B&S I could run it about 2 hours before running out of gas. been there done that many times before i lerned to carry extra fuel. Once made it from Newark to Denville on Is-280 and 80 before they openned them - took about an hour and a half on the mower! Takes 15 minutes by car, if there is no trafic, today. Back then, (1968) we had over 104 miles of trails to ride. All gone now, develpment has eaten up all the property except for a few patches Henry Becker donated as a park to Essex County, when I-280 cut thru his farm

You wont be able to run the engine without the blade, unless you bolt a weight onto it like I did. The engine needs the mass of the blade to act as a flywheel, to help the engine carry over TDC and to keep the power pulse from ignition from shearing the aluminum flywheels key. Without the weight of the blade, the crank accellerates too fast to keep the flywheel key from shearing. On my engine, i took a 5 pound round weight from a weight lifting set, drilled the center so the crank nearly went all the way thru, and used the original blade bolt and a few fender washers to anchor it to the crank. i didnt bother with a key, it stayed in place just with the bolt tightenned with an impact gun.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:39:49 PM
Registered

thanks so much for the response it does have a live axle it vivv
was tough on the lawn on corners . the tractor does have a pro lever that cuts the blade off i don't think i could go that far on one of those little tractors for sure !
Old 08-02-2019, 05:35:38 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruxton auto View Post
thanks so much for the response it does have a live axle it vivv
was tough on the lawn on corners . the tractor does have a pro lever that cuts the blade off i don't think i could go that far on one of those little tractors for sure !
The main problem I had with mine is that I had to shut off the engine before disengaging the blade, or the bloody belt would come off. This resulted in many times of taking off the deck to re=-attach the belt before I learned my lesson.