Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

50's Briggs and Stratton

this thread has 27 replies and has been viewed 17726 times

Old 10-24-2004, 12:49:36 AM
Carla

Default 50's Briggs and Stratton

Hello, engine people,

Today a friend brought over a Briggs and Stratton engine which hasn't run in years, and asked me to work on it.

It turned over, had compression, but no spark. I managed to get the flywheel off with a puller, using an air wrench on the puller screw, but I was amazed at just how very tightly the flywheel was stuck to the crankshaft....

After cleaning and tightening everything electrical, and polishing the points, it now has spark, and, apparently, seems to have fixed timing with the points operated by a little cam on the camshaft gear, so timing wouldn't be an issue.

(but that's apparently...I noticed that the coil for the mag is adjustable through several degrees, and had what appeared to be a factory time mark...I set to the mark, of course, but is there any other timing procedure to follow?)

Is there anything else, aside from a change of oil, and cleaning out the carbie, that I should look at before trying to start it?

I think this one is a '50's engine, it is on a military 3KW belt drive genset which was ex-Air Force, then ex-civil defence.

The engine data plate is scraped and obscured in spots, but I was able to read Model No. 23BP, Serial No. 196037, and (illegible) No. 803312

What do those numbers tell us about the year built, and any other specs?

Are parts available for these, and a manual?

The belts and pulley for the genset are missing....was this model of engine likely to be governed at 3600, for use with a 60cy/3600rpm alternating current generator?

The starting rope pulley on this one was damaged....does anyone have a usable spare?

cheers

Carla
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2004, 09:13:13 AM
Scott ( boiler inspector)

Default Re: '50's Briggs and Stratton

Here's a site they may help you on identifying your briggs.

http://www.edgeta.org/engnotes.htm
Old 10-24-2004, 11:58:59 AM
Jan

You will prob. get a better response on Spark arcs,but it sounds like your doing everything right, the genset should have a plate stating RPM and if your pullys are 1to1 ratial you will know your engine RPM. I know you have the capability so the saying goes (a pic is worth a---------) The only thing I would do in the future when pulling the flywheel is after snugging the puller, tap the end of the puller with a very small hammer about 20 times,retighten and repeat until it snaps loose. If you ever pull the threads or break a flywheel you will revert to this process. Jan
Old 10-24-2004, 05:05:47 PM
Kent Redd

Sounds like a 23 CID B&S engine with at least one ball type main bearing and a fuel pump. I collect these old Number Series B&S engines. You may have gotten ignition fire but these engine all have bad coils. You will have fire and be able to start it, but as engine speed increases it will start running poorly. The part number of the coil is 290880 but from B&S it is almost $ 100.00. mfgsupply.com has them for about $ 30.00 but they may be Chinese built. I modifiy a later B&S coil and am able to use it on the Model 9 thru 23 engines. I did a model 14 this weekend. If you are interested in the modification drop me your E-Mail address and I can sent pictures and instructions.

Kent
Old 09-15-2008, 11:44:54 PM
Registered

Kent,
I read your reply and would like to discuss my old engines with you.
I have just inheritated two old B&S engines. I see they are modle # 23's. can you email me, as I am just getting ready to try to fire one of them.
Thanks wbs
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10:38 AM
Registered

Wasn't sure if this might help. Here's a link to a model 23 owners manual. http://www.briggsandstratton.com/pdf...D-Domestic.pdf
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Naismith For This Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 08:39:39 PM
Registered

When you change out the coil, how do you get the metal bar out and then how is it replaced into the new coil for a Briggs model 23A?
Old 10-26-2008, 08:59:53 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 1,196 Times in 1,057 Posts

You do it VERY carfully.
If anyone is interested in my coil convertions for these old B&S engines, Look up a Nov. 2005 issue of Gas Engine Mag. If you can not find one, Join the briggs group on Yahoo and look in the files section for Magnematic fix. There you will find the artical from the Nov.2005 issue of GEM called Cheap Fix.

Kent
The Following User Says Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 10-26-2008, 09:07:40 PM
Registered

I used a hacksaw and cut the copper off one of the two coils I have - I am sure there was a better way. The question I have now, how to you properly install the metal bar into the new coil?
Old 10-27-2008, 01:00:12 AM
Registered

The Briggs and Stratton "Service manual for out of production engines" describes and has pictures of the procedure. The manual comes in handy for working on these older Briggs engines and is readily available on E-bay, maybe Amazon, and a few other places.

I've seen a few of the metal bars rusted up which can make for an unpleasant experience. The bar is supposed to slide into the coil and may require some work to get it in there. I think I used a rubber mallot. Push and center the bar in the coil with the rounded ends of the bar facing the ignition cable. Lay the coil and bar on the armature with the coil retainer installed between the coil and armature - the rounded ends of the bar should be pointed up. Hook clips into armature and then push upper end of clips onto coil bar.

Don

Last edited by Don Naismith; 10-27-2008 at 01:28:36 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Naismith For This Post:
Old 10-27-2008, 11:30:24 PM
Sponsor

The generator is probably a PE-75AF. The engine runs at 2,750 rpm at full load which is 2,500 watts. The alternator runs at 1800 rpm.
Jeff
Old 10-28-2008, 10:11:29 PM
Registered

I have a generator just like the one you have. It has a briggs 23BP engine connected to a generator by two belts and both are mounted on a skid. 23 is the engine model, B means it has ball bearings on the pto side, the P means it has a fuel pump.

My engine was missing the carburetor, gas tank, fuel lines, etc I took the fuel pump off and made a cover plate for the hole in the block. I had my 23BP 90% done when it was stolen from my house. I got the engine back but have not had time to work on it.
Old 01-16-2010, 11:44:38 PM
Registered

[ I modifiy a later B&S coil and am able to use it on the Model 9 thru 23 engines. I did a model 14 this weekend. If you are interested in the modification drop me your E-Mail address and I can sent pictures and instructions.
Kent[/QUOTE]
Kent,
My father has an old model 14 with a bad coil. I was going to buy one of the aftermarket coils, but saw your caution against their quality. Please send me instructions and photographs on how to adapt a later model coil.
Thank you,
Frank
email: fmase@adelphia.net
Old 01-17-2010, 09:49:59 AM
Subscriber

Default Re: 50's Briggs and Stratton

Your friend's engine was built in November 1953

http://www.asecc.com/data/briggs/data4.html#23

The third number after the Model Number and Serial Number is the Type. Types were minor variations within models, some parts changed between types.

The Model 23 was the largest number model Briggs made, I believe it took over for the Model Z.

The Model 23 was rated at 9 hp.
Old 01-17-2010, 07:28:43 PM
In Memory Of

Midland,

Check your PM's

Kent
Old 08-03-2010, 01:11:47 PM
Registered

Hey Kent
I have run into that similar problem. I own a model 23D with mag problems. My mag # is 296834 I have been unable to find a mag/coil
that isn't $100. Do you know of any other part numbers that could interchange?

Thanks David
Old 08-04-2010, 11:31:53 PM
Registered

Try searching E-bay for 290880.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:40:40 AM
In Memory Of

You can look for NOS B&S P/N 290880 BUT you might get a NOS coil that is in poorer shape than the one on your engine. Why I say this is because I bought a NOS coil at the estate auction of an old B&S dealer/small engine shop. About 6 months later, Dad bought a fire truck with a Gorman-Rupp Portable Fire Pump powered by a Briggs 23. Someone had put a new carb on it thinking it a carb problem. A BAD 290880 coil acts like a carb problem. Too confirm the engine had a bad coil as I suspected, I took the pump to a pond and started pumping water. The engine started out running fine but as I continued the pump, the engine started running poorly. I continued running the engine until it quit running. I took this pump/engine to the shop and installed the NOS 290880 coil that I had. When I started the engine, it ran poorly from the start. This is when I started looking into using the later model coil. I did the needed research and install the later coil. I took the pump back to a water source. I pumped water for an hour. The engine did not miss a beat. I shut the engine down, let it set for a couple of minutes to let the coil heat soak some to check how well it would restart. It restarted on the first pull. I ran the engine until it ran out of fuel, put some fuel in the tank and checked how it would restart again.
This pump is rated at about 250 gallons per minute. I had a nozzle on the outlet but assume I was still pumping around 200 GPM for over an hour.
This experience is WHY I do trust ANY NOS 290880 coil.
My coil conversion worked so well That when I got Internet access I told anyone with problems with the Briggs Magnematic magneto about my conversion. One of the people who I told of the conversion was Martin Zirger who wrote the artical that is in the Nov. 2005 issue of GEM. If you will read this artical, you can see HE was sceptical of my conversion until he installed it on the engine he was having trouble with. After he had installed the conversion, he contacted me and said I should do an artical for GEM. I told him I was NOT a writer but if he wanted to to go ahead. I think he wrote an EXCELLENT artical. In fact I can see I could NOT have done as well because I was to close the the subject.
Later I got a call from the moderator of the Briggs-N-Stratton Group on Yahoo. He asked about posting the artical on the Briggs-N-Stratton group. I told he it was OK with me BUT he needed to check with Martin Zirger as he was the author and with GEM as they were the publisher. A couple of days later I found out the the artical had been posted in the Files section of the Briggs-N-Stratton group on Yahoo.
NOTE: I have not made a nickle on this. I wanted my conversion out there to help anyone who was working on these engine because I have a soft spot for the old engines.

Kent
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to K D Redd For This Post:
Old 08-07-2010, 07:36:41 PM
Registered

Yes, the older NOS coils might be bad. Newer ones in a red/white/black B&S box don't contain the defect and show up on Ebay regulary or you could purchase an aftermarket.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:36:43 PM
Registered

Mr. Redd,
Can you send me the instructions and pictures please?

Thank you, Kerry