Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Twin City Small Tractors. "On a WHIM"

this thread has 410 replies and has been viewed 21100 times

Old 08-29-2018, 08:07:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,835 Times in 735 Posts
Default Re: Twin City "small" Tractors. "On a WHIM..."

That's a decent price on the Champions...better than anyplace I found on the web. It's good to know that they are still available. I also bought mine from NAPA about 3 years ago. Since I started using them in my Twin City I've never had to replace them...only clean one now and again on the wheezy cylinder. It looks like the Autolite 3077's have been discontinued.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Schneider For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-2018, 09:53:41 PM
Registered

Sounds like you found a honey hole Duey! The man must have been nutz Get your grey one gas tanked up and going and you'll have a his and hers... Your lady will let you buy buy buy! And you know where my drive way is

---------- Post added at 08:53:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:49:16 PM ----------

I. Could have set you up with some nos Stitt plugs for the TC.
Old 08-29-2018, 10:21:00 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Twin City "small" Tractors. "On a WHIM..."

Uh Huh. I asked Bill this afternoon if the 3077's were available and just a moment later "Nope."
He then asked, "What's it for?... If I stop in, they've LONG since stopped asking me that.
I didn't let the silence linger and asked about the W89D's and then "They only come in packs of 8." AFTER I was most agreeable about it. "You'd have to take all 8 as I don't have anybody else." OK!
OK he says, "Who is this?" I told him and laughed... Oh! Hi Duane!
I told him they were for my new Twin City tractor. Hahahaha!!! But they sure can surprise me once in awhile! "It's for a 53 UD-16 unit engine. No? Try a 53 Galion motor grader." "OK, have them. Be here in a few days."
Mark, I'm currently digesting your "Canadian" thread. It's too old to push the "Thanks" button so... Thank you.
Tony's thread has been a great help! Thank you.
Russ's thread is still up and worked thru that. More big help! Thank you.
I missed someone... Thank you.
Adam. Thank you in so many ways. Hahaha! I know exactly where your driveway is! Ya, you are completely NUTZ! But you have BIGGER fish to fry right now!
Monsters, in fact!
Squirrel! Ooh, there's an IH TD-6 crawler with dozer right close to you on 2. How many trips up north do I figure I need to make??? Sheesh. Hehehe.
Took me awhile but I remembered your dad. Very nice visit with you folks!
Gee thanks. I'm all fired up again and pottying my pants on the inside.... Dang it.
How much are your delivery fees? Ya GOTTA take a hard run at my rough hill to make it up! Please put your truck in 4 wheel drive to sure you get up there! Hahaha!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 08-29-2018, 11:25:53 PM
Registered

The trailer tow rig is only a
rear wheel drive. Hmmm! Thought and thinking hard... Hills??? Eeeeeek!
The Following User Says Thank You to ajs2744TC For This Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 12:15:16 AM
Subscriber

Hahaha! Yep. Eeeeeek! Is right! I told Nato to put it in 4WD so we stopped down on the lower driveway (swamp level) and then cruised on. Before the turn and hill. Can it!
Bah, Unload at the bottom and we'll pull it up with the motor grader. Cake.
Then we have lunch and go Whew!
Life's challenges... This hill presents them year 'round. : - )
Old 08-30-2018, 10:34:54 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,025 Times in 985 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duey C View Post
Uh Huh. I asked Bill this afternoon if the 3077's were available and just a moment later "Nope."
He then asked, "What's it for?... If I stop in, they've LONG since stopped asking me that.
I didn't let the silence linger and asked about the W89D's and then "They only come in packs of 8." AFTER I was most agreeable about it. "You'd have to take all 8 as I don't have anybody else." OK!
OK he says, "Who is this?" I told him and laughed... Oh! Hi Duane!
I told him they were for my new Twin City tractor. Hahahaha!!! But they sure can surprise me once in awhile! "It's for a 53 UD-16 unit engine. No? Try a 53 Galion motor grader." "OK, have them. Be here in a few days."
Mark, I'm currently digesting your "Canadian" thread. It's too old to push the "Thanks" button so... Thank you.
Tony's thread has been a great help! Thank you.
Russ's thread is still up and worked thru that. More big help! Thank you.
I missed someone... Thank you.
Adam. Thank you in so many ways. Hahaha! I know exactly where your driveway is! Ya, you are completely NUTZ! But you have BIGGER fish to fry right now!
Monsters, in fact!
Squirrel! Ooh, there's an IH TD-6 crawler with dozer right close to you on 2. How many trips up north do I figure I need to make??? Sheesh. Hehehe.
Took me awhile but I remembered your dad. Very nice visit with you folks!
Gee thanks. I'm all fired up again and pottying my pants on the inside.... Dang it.
How much are your delivery fees? Ya GOTTA take a hard run at my rough hill to make it up! Please put your truck in 4 wheel drive to sure you get up there! Hahaha!
Yes, and Mark S was my inspiration in his thread on the 17-28, without his input I may have gone the wrong direction as im born into the McCormick-Deering family of equipment.
The Following User Says Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-31-2018, 11:00:47 PM
Subscriber

Wow! Those #589 (W89D) plugs made a serious difference!
I know this may be so trivial to some but I like engines to run perfectly most of the time or like to know how to find that sweet spot, very low idle or wide open and it “picks ‘em off” perfect. Everything off mid-low idle was grand!
These plugs got me a lot closer. Goll, he ran so nice up north but get him home and he was OK with it all and ran good but not fully pleased to be down here.
He was sitting here at a low-mid idle, timing advanced some and picking them off so nice then I slowed him down to a very slow idle after warming and almost perfect.
That dip instead of a dup once every other time thru on one of the four cylinders must go.
I have to play with the timing a bunch more for that too.
I also need to find why the timer hangs up once in awhile on the ZR4 on Rusty Twin.
The clamp is just slightly loose on the barrel too and it bugs me.
What is considered low idle speed on the Twin Cams?

I must get a reflective or a plug wire induction rpm gauge so I can see. I like to play “How Slow Can You Go” but nowadays worry about cylinder lubrication.
Been catching heck about running too slow for years with a worn out 300-350 horse stationary steam engine. Cylinder lubrication.
I tell them I hate to hear the rings chatter across the bore as it slides to and fro. That's why the slow.
A self oiling gas engine is slightly different so I figure if it’s ran for awhile to warm and oil, it can be slowed way down for a spell. Notions?

I’m thinking about getting some flex aluminum tubing to catch some of the exhaust heat that comes across the engine
(Sqirrel!!! I went to find the description of the governor throttle assy "butterfly valve housing” TW328D [Holley with heater coil] and accidentally found the page of exhaust parts I’ve wished about for the Grey Twin. TW439B, 886, 888, 889 and 890.)
Sorry to the very few reading this. : - )
...flex aluminum tubing to catch some of the exhaust heat coming across the engine from the 1-1/2 holes for the heater tubing assy that weren’t filled in to warm the butterfly valve housing and top of the Wheeler to PERHAPS get idling speeds even more tuned in and perfect. Obviously, that area is the Sweaty Betty section of the intake. That flex tubing should be really easy to work with and get me some warms over there.
Then later on I might try the TSX-704 it came with again. Without air cleaner first...
From one OCD owner who did a fantastic! job bringing this engine back to life to the next OCD owner. We all have our “things” with our machines.
I had typed “place" but had been told about my station-my place by a very unhappy foreign GSE customer once so that had to go. : - )
Wrench on good sirs.
The Following User Says Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 09-01-2018, 12:26:19 AM
Subscriber

Russ, I gotta say I'm almost completely brand insensitive but I know where you are coming from.
My barely running F-20 went to a friend, 50 bucks I think, I was 24, he took 3rd at a pull and now that same F-20 plus more parts belongs to my son.
Waited for what seemed a milennia when I was just a boy for a 10-20 McCormick but the old fella wouldn't sell even after he had agreed to with my dad.
Don't tell the Allis guys but I haven't found that special place with them yet except for the M crawler I drove a bunch of years ago. I liked that little bugger.
Spent a bunch of time on a WD Allis, cultivating corn for my BIL. Good tractors. My nephew has the WC with a #33 mounted Corn Harvester that his grampa SWORE at so bad!
For an old Norwegian, he sure knew the swear words!
I've had 2 JD G's, still have one, grew up on an H Farmall, had a 41 B JD, wait impatiently for a 10-20 Titan but the Twin City's? Maybe since they were built only 2-1/4 hours away. ?
Don't let me start about the SMOOTH 6 in an 880 Oliver Diesel...

---------- Post added at 10:14:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13:31 PM ----------

So old to old tractors and yet always so new. I think I like that.

---------- Post added at 10:26:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14:41 PM ----------

No wonder I like gas start IH Diesel's. I rode with dad on his WD-6. He didn't like the manual steering.
Come time to plow up the alfalfa, the rented tractor was an M-602 or 670 MM double teamed with a ???
Sorry for this monster babble. Hadn't thought of many of these things for a long time
Old 09-01-2018, 02:02:49 AM
Subscriber

I’m blaming all of my new-found interest on Pat B. Hehehe!
I went searching for unsticking the rings in a 17-28 one day.
Pat had a 17-28 thread, started in 2 thousand 10 that I happened to find and realize now a couple of fellas brought it back up and things were tipped over onto my radar.
Gee thanks Pat. ;-)
OR
Thanks Pat, I needed this. :-)
Thank you. :-)
Old 09-01-2018, 09:47:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,327 Times in 550 Posts

TSX carbs never came out till early 40's. Wheeler Schrebler first then TTX then TSX. My 1930 has Wheeler.
The Following User Says Thank You to Molinegb For This Post:
Old 09-02-2018, 02:11:10 PM
Subscriber

I figured about as much. But I didn't realize those TSX's were quite that old. Thanks gb!
I should just bite the bullet and pay for another Wheeler.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:01:35 PM
Registered

Rework that Holley and try it.
Old 09-02-2018, 10:55:54 PM
Subscriber

Hahaha! You devil you! I looked at that goofy mixer/thing and thought to myself after reading some, oh boy... That floppy float and a poor reputation...
I have some re-reaing to do here. Mark's thread, here I come again.
These Holley's on the Twin City's ain't like no Ford model T Holley Vapo-rub carbinator. The secret on those is: No air leaks, no air leaks and more no air leaks.
Other than that set the float close and have fun!
I hand crank a worn out T engine. Or I get a buddy to do it! 3 pulls on a T Truck. Vroom! And they have been much maligned on the model T's.
But I learned that isn't always the case. Hmmm. The Holley's for the Twin City's don't even have a normal fuel adjustment... Hmmm.

---------- Post added at 08:55:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:42:40 PM ----------

A 30 year plus work friend stopped over for a bit today. We tell each other "60 years combined GSE (airlines) experience"
Partly he stopped to see the Twins. I asked if I should see if he'll start. He said yeah. 3 pulls and he just picked 'em off so nice. I showed governor action etc after awhile. He liked.
Ooh! The ol' Grey Twin is jealous and starting to show some compressions! There is hope!
He asked IF he could be pulled to roll the engine at a faster pace. I said no. Why? I said the gearing, ya have to belt 'em up. but my pulley situ is lacking right now.
Am I correct?
Old 09-02-2018, 11:15:38 PM
Subscriber

The Holley All Fuel carb used on the Twin Cams is an interesting little beast. In a way it's a match for the stock governor assembly...only made to work at wide open throttle. No idle circuit. I spent a fair amount of time meditating on the one I had and got it to work better but not really great. I found a Stromberg of the correct configuration that I was going to try but haven't mounted it yet.

During my heart attack hiatus I gave the bad vibes Holley off the 17-28 some more thought and realized there were several other things to try before giving up on the thing completely. I'm working through some of it again although there is no guarantee that any of my ideas will work.

So get your camera out and lay out the pieces. I can steer you through some of the trouble spots...and also through some of the modifications that I made that ended up to be of no real benefit. Maybe between the two of us we can get a respectable performance out of one of these things.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:32:51 AM
Subscriber

Hahaha! Oh, darn it, here we go! I thought I would've learned but I still open my big fat mouth! Oof.
Mark, the back of my head says I CAN figure this out. I like the Vaporizer on my T Truck, just because. And it runs good. The technology is some years more advanced on a late T Ford tho. With your help, perhaps we can get it sorted.
The front of my head says it ain't gonna pick 'em off like I like. Would like to try it tho and love the challenges.

On that thought, anyone here have any experience with older Tug 660 belt loaders? I have one in my care for a little bit longer and it's running great but put it in gear and drive it and it pretends it's out of fuel and and sucking air after a hundred yards or so. Park it and run the belt and it's great again. 300 Ford six and a C-6. Oh wait, similar to a car or a pickup. How's that for varied perspectives?

My "friends" also reminded me yesterday that I talk in another language and asked/told me to speak English. I don't know how.
Old 09-03-2018, 08:14:28 PM
Subscriber

Been putzing outside and in today with the mags and just got rained in.
Worked on the magneto end cap and interrupter housing today.
The housing hangs up on the Rusty Twin and I need to figure out why.
I had readjusted the timing rod from the bell-crank down to the mag last week. I realigned the rod at the timing arm hole so they’d get along better.
I took an old file (could’ve used a sharp newer file as that plating and brass is hard) and took the sharp spots down on the interrupter housing, tore after it with some worn sandpaper and then cleaned it up.
Right or wrong, I also put a drop of 3 in 1 oil on the interrupter cams on the 4 wicks, let them soak it up and wiped down the excess. The upper cam slowly sucked up nearly a whole drop of 3 in 1 oil when I went into town for a short.
If the housing still hangs up, I’ll wipe just a thin layer of Kendall grease on the 5/16“ or so mating surfaces to see if that helps. An added issue is the clamp arm is just loose on the interrupter housing and gets kicked over towards the front of the engine when I use the timing lever on the operators platform. Thinking of adding a few drops of CA (super glue) to hold the arm tightly on the housing.
1 & 2. I’m still thinking about spraying a Q-tip down with silicone lube and applying it to the new “gasket” on the housing cap. I don’t like it when they clock under the holding spring arm. This cap needed a paper shim to get it away from the grounding nub in the bottom of the housing as it was rubbing and holding the cap open a bit... I used the backing cardboard from a note pad. It's almost correct now. My scissor prowess leaves something to be desired...
3. I also made a very rudimentary grounding “spring” to try the grounding part of the cap.
4. One of the pics shows one of the caps “clocked” under the holding post and spring. Grrr. They’re only 90 years old. They shouldn’t be doing that yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_135630.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	317834   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_144314.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	317835   Click image for larger version

Name:	20180903_164400.jpg
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	317836   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162.jpg
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	317837  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Duey C For This Post:
Old 09-03-2018, 10:57:53 PM
Subscriber

On your Ford 300 six...take a vacuum reading. If low check the intake manifold runners for a vacuum leak where they clamp on the head. For whatever reason a double thickness gasket is used on this engine to seal these runners (intakes only). Sometimes the manifold clamp bolts loosen over time and a chunk of the double gasket will fall out. Seen it numerous times when I did UPS fleet service back when they ran carbureted engines.
Old 09-04-2018, 09:18:03 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

For future generations working on Holley fuel mixers,...

This subject keeps popping up so I though I would share what I think I learned (my opinion) about these crude early air/fuel intake devices.
I got one to work real well for what it was intended to do. Back in the day folks did not "goof around" with these old part time hobby machines, they needed and depended on them for hours of steady higher rpm work.

If you have a Holley in good condition, you can warm an engine, belt it up or put plow to ground and find the "happy spot" with the extended operator "tuning rod" (Rich/lean rotating fuel sleeve). You would then make long passes with the plow or perform belt work for several hours at governed wide open throttle.
This was done in the 20s & 30s with preheated kerosene or heavy tractor distillate.
Today, there is certainly no need to heat gasoline and we expect to achieve easy multiple engine start ups and our choice of low steady engine idle for brief periods of parade and public viewing. Not at all what a Holley was designed to do.
Sounds simple, but it took me a long time to see the obvious!
A nice old brass carburetor with an idle circuit is better suited (easier) to most of our modern hobby activity.
Smokstak is an amazing venue of the very best people who freely share their experiences to enhance and preserve this great hobby!
Thank You!
Tony
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 07:50:53 PM
Subscriber

Very well said Tony, the tractor were never thought of as toys when new as they are today . Jim
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to J Ware For This Post:
Old 09-04-2018, 09:25:56 PM
Registered

Agree! The marvel was never meant to be permanent to the rusty twin rather a get it going with out major issues for a show whim. And it did it's duties well. Never in the time of my custody did I find any decent reasonably priced brass to put on. Or I would have in a heartbeat. I wasn't up to the Holley challenge nor had the time. And 90% of your spectators know what right or wrong. Seen so many 17-28 with Holley, tillitson, schebler, Carter, and Robin's wedged on. Guess what ever worked or hardware stores carried then or when!

---------- Post added at 08:25:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23:58 PM ----------

Oops. Meant most spectators don't know what is right or wrong.
The Following User Says Thank You to ajs2744TC For This Post: