Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Three In One, Plus Another One

this thread has 58 replies and has been viewed 3984 times

Old 08-18-2019, 11:11:27 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,581 Times in 7,459 Posts
Default Re: Three In One, Plus Another One

The spark plugs in the 10-20 were tough to get out, but the plug in the no. 1 cylinder was a genuine pig. It would not move, even with a J-bar and a 3-foot pipe. I expected to twist it off. Had it soaking for several weeks, and occasionally added heat from the small torch, and a pull with the bar.
Also, the 4 nuts holding the manifold on were fused to the studs. I finally decided on a plan to get them off which worked very well and did not damage the studs.
Played some more with that darned spark plug. A bit more heat, cooling, poked away at the inside to chip out the rust, and more J-bar and she finally moved, detectably, a wee bit. A bit of spray, a few back & forth moves, and she came out. No damage to threads in head. I forget the plug number but it is a straight thread. I have never encountered a spark plug that was stuck in so solid.
Damn those mice!
Head is ready to lap in the valves. Cylinders and pistons ready for cleaning up. Might be on the way to being able to get her back together. Have full gasket set and rings from the Fordson House.
All the parts are here for the Cockshutt, including full gasket set from Olson's, rings from Otto Gas Engine Works - Dave, and a fantastic, new intake manifold from Rosewood Machine & Tool. That casting is a real beauty!
These two tractors look like keepers! It gives one a certain peace to have a successful day in the shop!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05211.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	341740   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05216.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	341741   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05215.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	341742  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2019, 11:19:31 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,960 Times in 2,450 Posts

After all that you should have the best running 10-20 in Ontario
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 06:45:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,296 Times in 427 Posts

Oddly enough those 10-20’s don’t seem to turn up at shows. Maybe collectors simply overlook them? I dunno, I kind of like them.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:13:43 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,960 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
Oddly enough those 10-20’s don’t seem to turn up at shows. Maybe collectors simply overlook them? I dunno, I kind of like them.

Dont worry Jeff his 10-20 will not be showing up either at any shows anytime soon and their is another one hidden away their at his place that aint going too far either gas tanks cost too much for them you know
Old 08-26-2019, 07:24:51 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,296 Times in 427 Posts

Well, to each his own! After all, this equipment wasn’t really designed to be trucked cross country heading to shows. They arrived at their place of work and stayed put.... sometimes right up until death!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Blaney For This Post:
Old 08-26-2019, 09:38:14 PM
Sponsor

Jeff,
Nice chatting with you earlier today. I hope the information helps? Please keep me informed because that will be an interesting project.
If you and your team are ever in the area, please stop by and we can fire up a couple of tractors.Thanks to another collector friend, I am now using Shell "V-Power" non-ethanol gasoline. It is a bit pricey, but it really puts the spark in the old girls!
Old 08-27-2019, 09:56:50 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,986 Times in 979 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Blaney View Post
Over the years I have had around 8 of them and took them all to the show at one time or another. Also had several other guys with 10-20's at the show during the same time, after 10-15 years of bringing them to the same show over and over again they retired to the shed or home or got sold to fund other projects and now I cant say there was even one at our show for the last couple of years. I now only have four, none of them running, and saved back one good one for retirement rebuild, they are coming back! Seems like it goes that way, in cycles, I cant even remember more than one Farmall regular at the show this year, don't recall more than one or two F-20's. Me, a hard core IH guy, brought a 27 D JD, a Wallis K and an 18-32 Case. I will rotate the stock some anymore, they all need some run time.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Russ Hamm For This Post:
Old 08-28-2019, 10:51:45 PM
Sponsor

Russ,
I am happy that the 10-20 came as part of this deal. I have pinned down the little farm where it worked, which is about 6 miles from here. I vaguely remember the tractor there when I was a kid. That is neat to have a local tractor.
It should make a good little ploughing tractor when the day comes to light a fire in her.
It will be fun to get her out into the field and put some shine on those spade lugs.
The other 10-20 stored in my shed used to be my uncle's tractor. It has had carb problems and is not presently running. It is stored here by a friend who recently bought a country property.His 10-20 is supposed to be heading home soon. Not sure if my uncle ever showed it? He used it to buzz wood and for other belt jobs years ago.
If these old tractors could talk, eh? It gives me great peace of mind to go up to the shop and just sit there and study the nuances of these old gals - the farmer fixes, the bumps and thumps.
It is amazing, really, that they have survived. I am honoured to have the privilege of owning a few old tractors.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 06:05:03 PM
Sponsor

Sometimes it is the nuances that are intriguing. I must be part crow and like the shiny stuff, but this is neat. It is amazing that H-P went to the trouble putting its name on the valves, but to do it in a neat, stylized way. Pretty classy!
Did H-P use these valves on earlier models?
Have been poking in the water legs and blowing high pressure air with a nozzle. I don't know how they do it, but you have to give those little bast..., um, mice, full credit for effort. They really have that block jammed full of nesting material, nuts, and assorted detritus. I don't know how they got it in there.I guess through the rad and top hose.
Aside from the water pump inlet, there is only one drain cock on the block. Of course, it broke off. I got the stub out and threads cleaned up without a problem. But blowing down through the passages on top of the block is yielding lots of crud. I want to keep it dry, for now, and it should clean out with some prodding and air.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hp.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	272.9 KB
ID:	343186  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 06:10:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,174 Times in 1,279 Posts

My 12-24 had Hart Parr labeled valves, my 18-36 (G) doesn't. Maybe they were changed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 09-05-2019, 08:28:16 PM
Sponsor

The valve looks to be 2-5/16 head, stem is 7/16, overall length 7-1/8 inches.
Old 09-05-2019, 09:45:57 PM
Subscriber

Almost sounds like a 12-24 / 28-50 valve. The numbers sound familiar. 18-36 is 5/8 stem 2 5/8 head and 7 3/8 oal.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 09-06-2019, 10:48:55 PM
Registered

Rick,
When you get the old Hart Parr ready to run, you best call your nephew over to see if the crank fits his hand a little bit better than yours. If I remember right he was a smidge bigger and much younger than you. That old crank is pretty hefty and I don't want to hear that you strained your milk trying to spin it over. LOL Better yet pull the old Eagle up close and let her help you spin it.
Helped my cousin out on one in 2018, it wasn't stuck but we pulled the head and did valve job. Intake and exhaust manifolds were trashed, he also purchased from Rosewood. They make some very nice castings, I purchased castings from them when we rebuilt our JD Spoker. Keep up the good work, I'll give you shout on the phone soon to catch up my friend.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roger Wagner For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 06:04:17 PM
Sponsor

Rog,
Yes much bigger and much younger. However, he has 3 growing kids and manages a farm supply store now, so maybe he doesn't have the oomph he did 20 years ago!
Those 4 big pistons are in my mind. When I was sick about 20 years ago, I had to move a few tractors to finance another project. The 25-50 Baker was one. That big Wisconsin engine was going to be a big slug to crank up. At the time, I couldn't have done it. As the years slip by, that day will come for most all of them!
Hope to chat soon.
Old 09-07-2019, 06:53:36 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,036 Times in 3,096 Posts

Starting to have those issues my self, Haven't had the big engines running for the past few years, have to belt them up to start any more! A big reason we've been looking for electric starter conversions for them! The 25-50 Huber is one of the worst to hand crank to start, That's the one that really needs a starter! Might be easier to sell some off and avoid the temptation to crank them?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:04:47 PM
Sponsor

Mr. Wurth,
Your crew had some energetic young lads in tow at Crosby. They will turn into good little crankers!
By the way, great to see you all there!
Old 09-07-2019, 07:44:20 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,036 Times in 3,096 Posts

Rick, we really enjoyed getting a chance to visit with you again. That alone was well worth the trip! I really got a kick out of the German tourist taking pictures of the 110. My long term plan was to have the collection end up with those grand kids, hopefully they will take a interest in them. I just hope my health and strength will last long enough for that to happen! I know that these past 2 years I've really slowed down, not by choice! I still put in long hours at work driving truck, then to come home and do as much farm work as possible. If the farm economy had held up, I had planned to give up the extra job, oh well, maybe next year. I have a lot of tractor projects to keep me busy for many years yet, some real unusual ones that deserve to get thru the shop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FWurth For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 07:55:38 PM
Subscriber

I’ve been lucky enough to spin my fair share of big, heavy cranks both exotic and plain and I’ve reached a revalation in my thinking. Whether it’s a tired Linn that won’t start, wore out Cat that’s being stubborn, or an ancient tractor with issues. They all have one thing in common. The amount of fun in moments like those is zero.Now I’m happy to leave it for someone else...

Last edited by David Hoover; 09-07-2019 at 08:35:18 PM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to David Hoover For This Post:
Old 09-07-2019, 08:17:08 PM
Sponsor

I like the Eagle and big GS&M where you can get right onto the big flywheels with hands and feet and make em roll. They generally start right up.
The key is to have them sparking good, and be able to prime 'em. Cranked the Beaver last weekend, and she fired right up. Even my old bones could handle that.
My friend got his old McDeering 10-20 out of the shed mid-week, to take to his new digs. Pulled it on his trailer with the 1913 GS&M! Nothing wrong with that! No time for pics though.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post: