Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Moline Universal D Remy Governor Help

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 449 times

Old 08-04-2019, 09:33:00 AM
Registered

Default Moline Universal D Remy Governor Help

I purchased a 1920 Moline Universal D a couple years back, I had admired it for a few years and the fellow in our club passed away and his widow put it up for sale. I had no experience with it and am finally researching things a little and would like to get it into good shape as it turns 100 next year. When I purchased it I found out it didn't have the original carb, well now I know why, the remy governor system is not working. He had put a different carb on it with a lever going back to the seat to run the engine. Well any of you who know these tractors can imagine what happens when you turn one way or another. Enough background, my question is where do I turn to get this system inspected to get running correctly again, or is there any hope? Costly? Thanks for any help.
The Following User Says Thank You to MolineD1920 For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2019, 12:43:00 PM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts
Default Re: Moline Universal D Remy Governor Help

Welcome to STAK...…..

That governor system wasn't one of Moline's better ideas...….
The generator is free to swivel between two bearings, the idea being that as the engine slows the generator feels it and attempts to correct itself which changes the radial force and imparts motion to the carburetor throttle.
Even in theory it doesn't work well and in practice is even worse.
I had to have an armature rewound hoping it would work as advertised...….
Having spoken with a few other Universal owners all of them said that setup had been abandoned so...…….
The Following User Says Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 05:01:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,900 Times in 772 Posts

We are having a Moline Universal reunion at Geneseo IL sept 13-15th and are trying to get as many tractors, implements and Moline Plow Co artifacts together as we can. Its going to be a heck of a show. MolinePlowCo.Com is the website, I have information on the Remy system up there that explains it in detail. It was an interesting system that was way ahead of its time and too prone to issues. Loren Book has been trying to compile a list of vendors for the reunion and he has found at least one person that can work on the remy system and a couple have been rebuilt now. lgbook46 at gmail.com (515) 231-6334 is his contact info.

You should come to the reunion, there will be a number of universals there including models with the factory magneto option instead of the remy system, you can see how those are rigged if you want to stay that route (at least one has a starter run from a battery and mag). Bring the tractor as well, even if it doesn't run we can get it into place. we are going to use the opportunity to do casting comparisons to help narrow down date ranges, and we will probably never again have 30-50 universals in one spot.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Paul Searl For This Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 06:12:09 PM
Registered

Thanks to both of you, I will put the show on my calendar but I'm coming from northern Wisconsin so it would be a haul. I will try and touch base with that individual you mentioned.
The Following User Says Thank You to MolineD1920 For This Post:
Old 08-04-2019, 11:50:19 PM
Registered

Thanked 5,688 Times in 2,202 Posts

I saw Paul Searl's Universal last year and that governor worked!
While I have not worked on one, I designed an automatic test system using reaction torque with a strain gauge reaction torque transducer which worked well. That system was used by Barber Colman Motor Division to automatically plot speed vs torque curve performances on all motor and generator design proposals. The data curves plotted were in the thousands and on countless types and variations of product.
That is a good, proven theory which is used in many applications in modern industry. To understand it, one needs to understand how the torque versus speed varies on a regulated generator. Not understanding that resulted in a twisted, broken generator shaft on a military armored tank design which I worked with.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post:
Old 08-12-2019, 04:09:13 AM
Registered

Thanked 5,688 Times in 2,202 Posts

This is the link to the description of the Remy system.
http://molineplowco.com/remy/
The shunt field generator requires more torque as the speed increases because voltage, therefore the field current and therefore the torque increase therefore actuating the spring and throttle linkage to correct the speed. But is this enough to fully correct the speed? Therein lies the problem area mentioned by Craig and others.
In my previous post, the mention of regulated generator and the broken shaft involved a generator with a regulator, not commonly available in the Remy time.
If I had a Moline Universal I would connect a regulator which I would adjust with a proper rheostat for speed control and use it that way. However the torque would decrease as the speed increases and throttle linkage would need changing. This works because the regulator must decrease the shunt field current at higher speeds to regulate voltage which would decrease the torque.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oilpulled For This Post: