Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Original Mag Finish???

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1783 times

Old 12-26-2000, 07:07:37 PM
Bill Nich

Default Original Mag Finish???

Here is another question for the experts...How were Webster magneto's (Tripolar type M)furnished from the factory? Magnet painted? Cover? Side plates Painted??? Have seen them in all sorts of conditions, but never thought to ask about what is original till I had to re-do one. Thanks for any help! -Bill
Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-2000, 07:38:48 PM
In Memory Of

Default Re: Original Mag Finish???

The factory finish on Websters varied somewhat through the years, mostly though they were painted Gold with the magnets and the bits that attached to the armature shaft Black along with the springs. Some restorers will paint the magnet clamps black as well, and I have seen an occasional original painted this way but the majority of Websters that I have ever seen have gold paint on the magnet clamps. Some of the later Websters had the die cast bodies left un-painted and all of the steel parts painted black.

I think that they look best done like these at this link.

http://www.oldengine.org/members/bro.../WebsterMs.jpg
Old 12-26-2000, 08:16:26 PM
Bill Nich

Default Re: Original Mag Finish???

Thanks Ted!!!