Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Kinnard-Haines Flour City

this thread has 205 replies and has been viewed 58106 times

Old 04-13-2013, 12:43:04 PM
Registered

Default Re: Kinnard-Haines Flour City

I'm curious as to the background of the two Flour City tractors at Crosby - particularly the years they were in active use...

From the book "Mondakonians: Energizers of the Prairie" (history book covering Montana-Dakota Utilities which incidentally is the power company serving Crosby today), pages 64-65:

"...On the other end of the [Kenmare] division, the Crosby Auto Co. brought electric power to Crosby in 1913. The generating plant serving the city was served by a 40-80 [sic] Flour City Tractor powering a 5-kW generator, which furnished alternating current to Crosby residents. A 30-kW generator was installed in 1916, still run by a gasoline engine, but just as in Kenmare, the Crosby plant was destroyed by fire in the spring of 1918. Arthur Kately and Knute Huso, the two entrepreneurs who furnished electricity to Crosby, rebuilt the plant and extended highline service to Ambrose at about the same time..."

(from there, Crosby became the headquarters of the short-lived United Power Co., extending power east towards Flaxton and north to North Portal, SK. United Power was purchased by what was then known as the Montana-Dakota Power Co. in 1926)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-13-2013, 05:05:47 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,173 Times in 211 Posts
Photo Re: Kinnard-Haines Flour City

Thank you all for your input, thoughts, comments, pictures and scans. She'll get the attention she needs and well deserves. Her parts may be numbered in the order they were assembled. We do not know how old she is yet but it appears that her Serial number may be "3".

Jeff,
We've got that grid but I failed to think about it when we were in the shop. We'll measure and try to get you an answer. We did not have that commemorative NZ stamp though so we appreciate your time to put that up. To partially answer your question from yesterday, the wood trim on the radiator, even what you cannot see unless you are standing inside the frame, appears to be the same age as the operators platform and toolbox. We don't like to assume but it could be possible the radiator is original. Ed will speak up at some point, you can be sure of that.

David,
I laminated that pic awhile ago and look at it every day, wishing it was in color!

Here are a few pics from today. There are 200+ more to go with them, along with videos too. More later..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Boss on a Saturday.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	213.2 KB
ID:	162761   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Beginning of Saturday.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	211.3 KB
ID:	162762   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Cylinder 10.5 inch bore.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	162763   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC End of Saturday.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	162764  
Old 04-13-2013, 05:28:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by retrofit88 View Post
.... We do not know how old she is yet but it appears that her Serial number may be "3" ....
WOW !

Not likely to find a lower number out there...... on Anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to OTTO-Sawyer For This Post:
Old 04-13-2013, 06:04:45 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,676 Times in 1,153 Posts

Nikki: 3rd picture, post 42.
The brass throttle control to the upper right of the cylinder: Do you know if that is an original part? Reason I ask is I have a NOS one just like it that has been on my shelf for years. Mine is marked "PAT OT 14, 1902. I've never been able to ID what it came from.
Old 04-13-2013, 09:31:51 PM
Subscriber

Date on this one is the same. At least something is consistent, we don't know if it is original either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Throttle Control Plate 19021004.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	162777  
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Retrofit88 For This Post:
Old 04-13-2013, 11:17:25 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,868 Times in 143 Posts

Post #42, the third picture. What is the tank affair that sits right under the head? Looks a bit like an ox yoke. Muffler? Oil tank?
Old 04-13-2013, 11:22:48 PM
Subscriber

Had to go look at her again. Muffler, RH Drive Pinion Bearing Block, Drawbar Spring.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC After Dinner.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	220.1 KB
ID:	162784   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Muffler.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	233.3 KB
ID:	162785   Click image for larger version

Name:	RH Drive Pinion Bearing Block.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	162786   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Drawbar Spring.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	162787  
Old 04-14-2013, 12:28:13 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Here is a link to an original image of one of these early flour city tractors at the Minnesota State Fair. It claims it was 1903, but who knows.

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/disp...dex=1&count=25

http://collections.mnhs.org/cms/disp...te%20fair&year
Old 04-14-2013, 08:18:22 AM
Registered

Awesome job guys, so glad that it is getting restored.

Anyone know if the tractor is throttle governed or hit and miss?

Tony B.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tony B. For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 11:52:51 AM
Subscriber

Hit and miss
10-1/4 x 15-inch bore & stroke

That part on the carburetor is not original.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC Topview.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	241.1 KB
ID:	162806   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joey in the shop with FC.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	162807   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC T59 Water Pump.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	135.9 KB
ID:	162809   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Good Gears.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	207.0 KB
ID:	162810  
Old 04-14-2013, 01:07:22 PM
Sponsor

Sorry i know Nikki wanted me to jump in on this sooner, First as Nikki said its 10.250 bore X 15" stroke...if we go by the rear wheel size and belt pulley size its a 12hp...big bore and stroke for a 12hp but then again we have to remember how early it is..Rear wheels 58" in dia, flywheels 64" in dia. Yes its serial number 3 not 103 or 1203 like some companies started with. The casting numbers on all parts start with T,
T1 (my guess tractor part 1)the cylinder, T2 on the head and go up to about T132. Bruce, yes under the head is the most elaborate muffler I have ever seen on a tractor, it exits out each side through small slits and into the rear wheels. As far are what left of a carburetor, it looks at one time someone tried to make it Th. Gov. this is not factory as the butterfly was never hooked up to any kind of gov. and must have been worked by hand. They put a home made lever to lockout the hit and miss gov.or by moving the lever reengage the hit and miss, all the original hit and miss parts along with the original mixer (carb) are still on the tractor and it will be put back to original hit and miss. The screen cooler is original, when I first went to look at the tractor in WA. I didn't give it much thought because I never saw a photo with that type of cooler, however after getting it to Dudley's and looking it over, there is no question it is original. So we all can speculate about that, and please feel free to make suggestions we are all learning. The tractor is in amazing condition for something that was made in 1897 ? It shows little ware, its made very well and if the mice didn't make a home in the cylinder it would be in running condition. There are three clutches one to disengage the drive chain for long runs of belt work, one on the top shaft for the drive and one on the belt pulley. All grease cups are cast with a date of 1896...hope this helps with some of the question, but feel free to ask away...Ed
Old 04-14-2013, 01:52:12 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Here is a link to the patent for the march 1896 grease cup. I don't think this would be a great way to date the tractor as the date is a patent date not casting date, but interesting anyway.

I could not find any patents tractor related to either Kinnard or Haines. a couple things for balers.

http://www.google.com/patents/US5567...201896&f=false
Old 04-14-2013, 02:04:02 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,051 Times in 972 Posts

Ed,

Thanks for the info! I think that bore and stroke is only second to the Fairbanks 15-25 (10.5x18) for largest surviving single cylinder tractor.

Where did you look/find serial #3 on the tractor? We have not been able to find a serial number on our Flour City engine.

I have a hard time believing it is serial #3 if the screen cooling tank is original. To my knowledge, screen cooling tanks were not used on engines/tractors until 1905-08 timeframe. Even the earliest IHC engines and tractors from this timeframe were tray cooled. I've had my fair share of literature and have not seen screen cooling tanks on any of the earliest engines. Plus if they had a screen cooling tank on tractor #3, why do all of the earliest ads/photos show the big tank? Seems like they would have stuck with the screen tank. Perhaps the tank was an early professional replacement in the 1905-1910 timeframe and thus it looks original?

Thanks again for sharing!

wahlengines.com
Old 04-14-2013, 02:14:01 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,785 Times in 981 Posts

Ed, Thanks for the information on the tractor. The gears on the tractor looks exceptionally good at least what I could see from the pictures. There maybe is a rumor/truth ( ? ) ( the story Craig mentioned earlier in the thread ) that this tractor was crossing a railroad tracks and because of how low the flywheels hung low it got hung up on the tracks. There is suppose to be a gouge or something like that on one of the flywheels. Any truth to that ? If so, I think that's a neat part of the history ( story ) that goes along with that tractor, to leave that gouge there. ( My opinion only ) I'm glad to see that tractor is finally getting a well deserved restoration instead of setting in a field. Kinda sounds like the " Simplot " collection mayham. But with a lot better ending. Is the tractor going to be painted ? I hope not ( my opinion only again. ) Thanks again and looking forward to following the restoration process.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Don Selmer For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 02:21:52 PM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

The railroad track thing is something I heard from some guy in Kansas....... .......it would be pretty cool if one of those flywheels showed marks.......
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 02:37:41 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Johnson View Post
Nikki: 3rd picture, post 42.
The brass throttle control to the upper right of the cylinder: Do you know if that is an original part? Reason I ask is I have a NOS one just like it that has been on my shelf for years. Mine is marked "PAT OT 14, 1902. I've never been able to ID what it came from.
Phil,

that is the standard inlet throttle plate for the Schebler Model D carb. Made by the thousands, and used on hundreds of engines.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bill Schaller For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 03:29:00 PM
Subscriber

Grease cup with patent discussed above, Head, Example of Ed's precision, Ed
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC HK Stahl Grease Cup.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	162832   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ed and the Head.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	242.4 KB
ID:	162841   Click image for larger version

Name:	Precision.JPG
Views:	242
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	162842   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC with Ed 20130410.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	209.4 KB
ID:	162843  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:41:26 PM
Subscriber

Thanks button is gone again so we'll thank you all again with some more pics:

Wood blocking behind radiator, Differential, Piston

Overspray on those wood blocks is consistent with the overspray on the gas tank and frame. It doesn't mean they didn't reuse the wood blocks if they did modify the radiator, however, it does not rule out original radiator either.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FC LH Radiator Wood.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	162845   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC RH Radiator Wood.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	157.0 KB
ID:	162846   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC Differential.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	162847   Click image for larger version

Name:	FC piston.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	162848  
Old 04-14-2013, 03:54:25 PM
Sponsor

Jeff I agree about the screen cooler and it looks to short for the tractor, untill you look at some early photos. Some of the tanks are short with a tool box in front of the tank and then the tank was made larger all the way to the front of the frame on later pics. ..It has paint under it, matching paint on the bottom of the cylinder, but I'm sure it could of been painted to match the original if it was installed later.. so IDK?..As far as the ser. number.....3 is stamped (not cast) on the end of the crank, on the both rod caps (like a otto) and on a few of the shafts and parts. Craig/Don...JT told me the same story about the RR...I looked close, but no marks on the face of the flywheel...OK so here is another..it has two spark plugs... one where the stationary igniter was and one where the movable ingter was...My gut is telling me they took out the igniter and replaced it with spark plugs, and if they did it was very eary in the tractors history...However there are two distinct and separate timers, one in the cam tower where the original igniter push rod came out ( and not used anymore)...it has a wood insolater and non adjustable , the wood looks as old as all the other original wood on the tractor and then a second (and homemade) timer on the end of the cam, thats adjustable from the platform. Mounted in the tool box is a double knife switch. For controling two buzz coils for two plugs? Wouldn't think this had plugs from factory but? Would be a easy fix to convert it back to igniter..

Last edited by Ed Dina; 04-14-2013 at 04:35:23 PM.
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Ed Dina For This Post:
Old 04-14-2013, 03:57:17 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,676 Times in 1,153 Posts

Thanks, Bill. Nice to finally find out what it belongs to. It's NOS and has been sitting on my shelves for about 15 years. The lever has never been drilled out for any linkage- just the casting dimple.

Nikki, It's going to be exciting to watch this project come together!