Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Grist Mills

this thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 3705 times

Old 06-01-2006, 11:21:40 PM
Mike F

Default Grist Mills

guys

i picked up a couple of grist mills this weekend

one i a 20" meadows or williams i think stamped c527

the other is a 18" ( new south corn mill ) very good shape as far as the wood and hopper goes but someone removed the stones to put in a fireplace hearth.

any ideas or any info on the new south mill??? and can the meadows mill be identified by th c527 stamped on it??

thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 11:46:24 PM
Registered

Default Re: mills

In regard to your Meadows mill, they are still in business in North Wilkesboro N.C. and you could ask them. They would also be able to put new stones in the other mill for a price. Here is the link to them http://www.meadowsmills.com/ Check it out. Chuck
Old 09-03-2006, 09:14:10 AM
Registered

The Meadows mills were made in wooden frame and also cast iron frame versions. In either case, on the "skinny side" of the machine, close to the top where the hopper bolts to the casting, there is usually a piece of wood (and sometimes a brass tag) that has the serial number on it. If a wooden case, it will be stamped into the wood. If I can remember correctly, the serial number would usually begin with a number, then a "-" and then a longer number. The first number indicating the size of the stones, so in your case it should look something like "20-#####". If you can get this number, I can date it for you.

As for the New South mill, those are much mush less common and I've only heard of about 4. I have some literature (an advertising brochure from about 1928. Meadows has actually restored at least one of them and should be able to make new stones for it should you want to put up the money to go that far. For an unusual mill, I think it would be worth it.

Jeb
Old 11-06-2010, 09:11:39 PM
Registered

Jebaroni: Do you still have pictures of the new south mill? I have had one for some time and am trying to get some info on it. Ran it today at a show for 6 hrs and it worked like a champ.

Thanks, Tom.
Old 11-07-2010, 01:24:51 PM
Registered

Hey Tom;

If you click on my name, a pull down opens up with a link where you can send me an email. If you send me an email, I can email you the scanned images of a New South informational/testamonial brochure that I got a couple of years back. They are really neat and I'd love to have one some day. A guy a couple hours away from me has 2 of these. He also has about 20 or so Williams and Meadows mills of varying sizes and styles. He's trying to go for one of every size that Williams produced.

Jeb