Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Alexander show

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 2751 times

Old 09-04-2006, 03:59:40 PM
Subscriber

Default Alexander show

Anybody going to the WNYGSEA show in Alexander, NY this weekend? I'm going to spectate Fri.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2006, 04:37:17 PM
Registered

Default Re: Alexander show

I hope to be there Thursday evening, then I am heading to Constableville for Friday.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:57:22 PM
Subscriber

Smile Re: Alexander show

We took my 7hp Monarch up there today
Old 09-04-2006, 10:12:05 PM
Registered

Hi Mike. I should have that Hercules that I bought from you. It was a box of parts with a cracked block when we picked it up, but it has been together for a few years now.

As a matter of fact, it is about time to restore this one AGAIN!
Old 09-04-2006, 10:46:28 PM
Franz

I'll be there, and there better be Bloomin Onions this year.
Old 09-04-2006, 10:54:04 PM
RIRR

I am just hoping for a couple of dry days there
Old 09-05-2006, 12:44:31 PM
Subscriber

We will be there in our usual spot on the hill. Will be bringing a 6 hp Garland made in Honeoye Falls, NY, a Baby Geiser 2 hp and my wife's gas engine powered rotisserie. Stop on by and say hello
Old 09-05-2006, 05:14:02 PM
Franz

Ahh Jeff, the only flat spot at Alexander has to be in the middle of the pulling track. The whole show is on hills, I know cause I walk UP every damn one of them. Which hill are you going to be on? To me all instructions & directions at Alexander should be related to the Bloomin Onion vendor's location. That way I don't need to use Tommy as a guide dog.
Old 09-27-2010, 08:23:22 AM
Registered

Am I the only one who is getting more and more disgusted with this show? This year was only the second time in 24 years that I haven't exhibited. But my son and I went up on Saturday and left even more disgusted. Whatever happened to highlighting the engines and tractors. It seems like the board of directors are more concerned with the flea market and the tractor pull than with showcasing what it's supposed to be about. I don't live too far from Jeff(in Marilla) and have always thought of Alexander as the "home" show. But I gotta say, it's getting to the point that I may not go next year either, and that's sad. The worst thing is, if you say anything at the meetings it's as though you're just stirring up trouble. Am I alone in this thinking, or are there more people out there thinking the same thing?
Old 09-27-2010, 09:28:29 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,127 Times in 357 Posts

I don't go back 24 years. Have been active the past six years. Have been to most of the member meetings over this time and a director the past 3 years. I haven't met you so don't know what meetings you have spoken up at. I think we have a pretty balanced board and officers. Oct meeting is for nominating and Nov meeting is for voting for officers and one third of the board members. All members are welcome at board meetings the second saturday of the month at 7 PM. The member meeting is the third sunday at 2 PM followed by a pot luck meal which is always a good time and meal.

Dave Mischler, director and Gate Chairman
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveMisch For This Post:
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53:44 PM
Subscriber

Well, I went, saw a lot of neat stuff and had a good time. Bought some stuff in the dreaded "flea market" too. The shows are evolving, some more so than others. Some are aging well, some not so much....
Old 09-27-2010, 10:08:45 PM
Subscriber

I went this year for the second time in about 15 years and was disapointed with the show the first time I went it had alot of engines for show. This last year was nothing but a big flea market with junk but with the amount of people coming thru the gate maybe that is what they want. It sure was not alot of engine stuff in the flea market area give me Coolspring any time.
Old 09-28-2010, 03:24:09 PM
Subscriber

I have a camp near Alexander (12 miles away), so a couple years ago I loaded up a trailer with engines and drove all the way from Cortland, New York and ran into the most discourteous bunch I ever dealt with, looked around a little at what was obviously a show and flea market to cater to tourist and the city crowd and returned home, vowing to not make that mistake again. I enjoy the Constableville show which is always the same weekend.
Old 09-28-2010, 05:43:17 PM
Subscriber

I have to agree whith Paul. I dont know what they have done to the engine guys but there wasn't enouge engines there to say so. gate personal and securty were very rude. and that new 9 am rule was a real pain in the butt. and saw some other things that wern't right.