Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

The Not So Happy 'Happy Farmer' - YET!

this thread has 146 replies and has been viewed 38198 times

Old 05-23-2007, 10:16:12 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,969 Times in 253 Posts
Photo Re: The Not So Happy 'Happy Farmer' - YET!

Just thought I would give another quick update on things. Today Dad went and picked up the big parts from the sandblaster - so it’s priming and painting time! The best part is that we will actually be able to start to put some of the tractor back together – but here is what it looks like now. The first three pictures are of what was just picked up from the blasters. It includes the wheels, transmission case, mainframe body, steering wheel, flywheel, engine mount, gooseneck, and drawbar. The last picture is of the new exhaust/frame pipe and the transmission case primed and ready for painting. My next post should actually begin looking like a tractor. Still hope you are not bored with this yet – posting on this forum gives me a reason to take notes on the progress that I may otherwise not have done. I remember after we restored Dad’s 22-45 Eagle that I wished I would have taken more pictures and written more down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandblasted1.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	19244   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandblasted2.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	19245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandblasted3.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	19246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandblasted4.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	19247  
Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-2007, 12:51:52 AM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts
Default Re: The Not So Happy 'Happy Farmer' - YET!

RR, keep us posted....we all enjoy this kinda stuff!
Mike
Old 05-28-2007, 11:02:17 PM
Subscriber

After inspecting the part we received from the sandblaster this week we noticed that two of the bull gear sections had hairline cracks. Not really too much of a surprise considering its design. Here’s how it works if you don’t know - on the inside of each drive wheel are four bull gear sections that bolt into place onto brackets that are attached to the steel rim. Once in place, these sections become the row of cogs that run into the pinion gear. However, instead of having cogs each pinion has a Hyatt roller bearing. On the surface this seems like a good idea, but when put into practice it breaks down. What happens sometimes is the gear sections can move slightly out of line, hit a roller clogged with dirt or grit and POP – broken section! In fact, there was ONLY ONE original ‘B’ model marked gear section left on either of the drive wheels and, or course, I had to replace it! That means while this tractor was being used as a field tractor no fewer than SEVEN gear sections had to be replaced – all now bear the ‘F’ tractor model mark. The other obvious design problem – one we will not face – is the need to replace the rollers every fall because of the wear done to them in just one season of use. The only other comparable may be the Yuba ball bearing tractor and the need to replace the ball bearing so often. But again not our problem because this old girl is retired and will not be used for plowing – that’s what JD 7520’s are for! Ok – so I had already replaced one of these before sending them to the sandblaster’s so these two make three out of eight. I think we should putty a good one up and send it to the foundry and get a few cast up just in case. I did want to mention that if it were not for the previous owner digging around for years and finding spare parts, we would never be this far along!!! Other than replacing those and getting a backache and a few bruised knuckles from pounding out bends in the wheel spokes, everything was ready to be hoisted and primed. The pictures below are where the project is as of, tonight, May 28th. Picture one is just parts, picture two is the frame body, picture three is of the front wheel, and picture four is of the drive wheels. My dad, Marshal, will be going out tomorrow morning and picking up the Dupont YS 113 orange paint – wow – we may get this done by Symco just yet.

Speaking of paint, and this just drives me nuts, but the WHOLE TRACTOR WAS ORGINALLY PAINTED ORANGE. I looked at other tractors and our own and could not find anything to the contrary. I thought that perhaps the fenders and/or the wheels were a different color – nope – orange! I shot pictures of four original Happy Farmers a B (Dad’s), two F’s and a G. Rims, spokes, fenders, radiator, fan, seat, hitch everything is orange. I hope the black pin stripping and lettering will help tame the color when were all done. At-least Madison-Kipp painted their oilers black before they left the factory or I am sure that would be orange too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Primed1.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	19377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Primed2.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	54.6 KB
ID:	19378   Click image for larger version

Name:	Primed3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	19381   Click image for larger version

Name:	Primed4.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	19382  

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 05-29-2007 at 03:26:33 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:30:06 AM

Thanked 20,661 Times in 5,982 Posts

^ Randy, your dad said he was retired...........not RE-tired..............

The way you guys are going you have ME as excited to see it finished as you!

Lookin' good...............
Old 05-29-2007, 10:49:02 PM
Registered

Randy, You are making good progress. Not sure I agree that they were 100% orange though. Dad most likely is the only man alive that operated an original Happy Farmer that had not been repainted. He claims that the oiler, steering wheel and all three wheels were black.

Occasionally I see old magazine color ads for a Model G on e-bay. One has to be careful because these are mere "artist's conceptions" and not color photos of course. However, they do show these items to be black as well as the 7" pipe frame. Even if it's not true - its sure better than all orange! In the end though, the correct color is the color YOU believe to be right.
Old 06-19-2007, 12:46:36 AM
Subscriber

Seems like forever ago that I posted an update! Things have been going well for the tractor, just a little slower than we thought – but that’s ok because its better to get it done right than to just get it done. On Tuesday of last week we pulled off a very fun and successful road trip from Milwaukee, WI (well close enough) to Marshall, MN - we spent about 22 hours in the truck, put on 1,100 miles and spent just over $350 in gas! And what did we have to show for it??? A VERY nice set of reproduction fenders, a toolbox, an exact replica of our gas tank, and the last part we needed for a complete carburetor (a very unexpected gift). The gentleman that did the work is looking good and in good sprits! We also saw a 40-60 Altman-Taylor, 20-40 Case, a rough Avery, a Minneapolis, a Huber ‘Super’ Four, an early 1910? IHC truck, and tons of other stuff! We even got to see and hear a Happy Farmer model F run.

The pictures posted are from Father’s Day – I really did not want to post anything until I could show you at least something that looks like a tractor! We painted in the morning and assembled it that night. As for the decision to go all orange – we talked quite a bit about it. Our end decision was based on the model F’s and G that we saw in their work clothes. They had orange everywhere: wheels, fenders, engine, and even the carburetors had orange paint on them. So Kevin, your Dad remembers black on the wheels and the steering wheel – but yours is an A – they could have just gotten lazy with the paint scheme and done the whole thing orange??? Or we could have misjudged and are completely wrong! But in the end we took your advice and went with what we thought was right. Anyway, when it comes right down to it, orange or black, either looks better than primer.

I hope you enjoy the series of pictures I took during the reassembling. I will post pictures of the castings, fenders, and gas tank we had made. FYI – we are still waiting on the engine, some parts from the foundry, and we need to trade for a part with another gentleman for the clutch. But day-by-day progress is being made.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Happy Paint 1.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	20039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Paint 2.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	20040   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Paint 3.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	20041   Click image for larger version

Name:	Happy Paint 4.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	67.8 KB
ID:	20042  

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 06-19-2007 at 12:55:24 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:34:28 PM
Subscriber

As promised here are some shots of the fenders that we picked up on our last trip and some of the casting that were made.

In the first picture we have four items. The far left item is a mounting bracket for a Perfex Radiator (we have extras if anyone is interested the foundry must have thought we needed enough for four tractors???); next is a fender mounting bracket that bolts to the side of the back roller bearing mount; the third item from the left a part of the shifting handle; the final part is the exhaust manifold pipe. That last part is a story in and of itself that I will have to get down and share with you all – that will be part of my last post on this tractor. I think I’ll call it reflections of an addict and perhaps I’ll include a 12-step program? The next picture is of our new gas tank – very cool!!! Tom Brewers from Bisbee Plumbing in Marshall, MN did it for us. I sent him our old one and he copied it wonderfully and even included the nipples on both ends of the tank. I don’t know why they were pounded in there originally – perhaps someone can tell me – but I thought they should be included on the reproduction. Tom is also the gentleman who did the fenders that you see in the third and forth pictures. The third picture is a pairing of the old and the new. They looked perfect and were – almost. We did not like the idea of the pop-rivets he used. So… Dad ordered steel rivets and a pneumatic rivet gun and we re-riveted the fenders this last Tuesday.

I know it’s a trivial thing – but we have gone this far….
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	castings.jpg
Views:	233
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	20884   Click image for larger version

Name:	gas tank.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	20885   Click image for larger version

Name:	fenders1.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	20886   Click image for larger version

Name:	fenders2.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	20887  

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 07-13-2007 at 07:28:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2007, 12:01:25 AM
Subscriber

Hi guys – first off I have some disappointing news for the Werth brothers – it looks like the Happy Farmer will NOT be ready for the Symco show this year . It has been a busy summer compounded by the fact that the shop that has the engine doesn’t seem to think that our project is as important as the car and truck engines they also work on. Needless to say they were, “just finishing a few things up on it.” But when we picked it up the darn thing the crank and block had cobwebs on it – and I’m not kidding either – cobwebs! To top it all off they sent the valves out to some guy (without asking first) two shipping days away from Wisconsin and they sat there untouched for around three weeks while this guy was on vacation. So my father demanded that they be returned and when??? we get them back the valves are going to Craig’s! Lesson learned – don’t take your old engine stuff to car guys – they just don’t get it! However, they did check the cylinder bore and Dad decided that in order to do this job right the block should be re-sleeved. So we are going to have them re-sleeve it for us. However, this time I will be calling them a minimum of twice a week until it is done. I figure I will be just enough of a nuisance as to keep them thinking of us, but not too much as for them to get hacked off at me.

Progress???

We did get the Perfex brackets drilled out and one side riveted to the radiator and a couple of other small things in the past few weeks – been mostly a waiting game for things – oh well. But Dad and I want to have the radiator and fenders completed and ready for paint by Monday. I will share pictures of those successes a little later next week and I should have an update on the re-sleeve project. But from the pictures you can see that we did get the planetary gear in, the transmission housing is set, and the seat and hitch have been put on. So its coming along – I guess I have to remind myself that this project is only 3 ½ months old – and all things considered we are really coming along quite nicely. Thanks again for following along on our tractor adventure.

Randy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HappyFarmerJuly_1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	20888   Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyFarmerJuly_2.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	20889   Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyFarmerJuly_3.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	65.5 KB
ID:	20890   Click image for larger version

Name:	HappyFarmerJuly_4.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	20891  
Old 07-13-2007, 12:28:42 PM
Registered

Randy, you and your father are making a tremendous amount of progress!! Do not be discouraged when things slow down. My last project was not as complex as your happy farmer, but I did take some familar steps that you have to keep it original. My father and I rebuilt the fenders for an Allis Chalmers WC unstyled, and that alone was a 3-4 month process, new steel and getting the correct style rivets. It took just under a year to restore the WC, so compared to that, I would say you guys are ahead of schedule!! Remember, good things just take time!! Keep your chin up and keep up the great work!
Old 07-13-2007, 12:58:43 PM

I'm going to ask you in front of the whole world Randy.................
How did those built up differential gear teeth pan out?
I told your Dad I expected you'd have to do a little grinding at your end once things were rigidly in place.
I want the unvarnished truth RIGHT HERE..............

Craig
Old 07-13-2007, 07:24:15 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,713 Times in 845 Posts

You'd be just a little if you were to find out that they now are doing duty as ash trays!!!!
Old 07-13-2007, 09:04:52 PM

^ NO GUTS NO GLORY man!

(And I didn't ask them before asking here either.......I COULD have.......but I didn't....... )
Old 07-14-2007, 08:41:26 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,368 Times in 353 Posts

Randy, you guys are really going to town on the Happy Farmer.....good job! Now I suppose the poor Eagle will get parked in the weed patch.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:39:15 PM
Subscriber

I can’t believe that it has been two months since my last update! We have been working on it but the going has slowed down greatly. Mainly because our goal of getting it to either Symco or our local Early Farm Days did not work out like we thought and we have fallen into a few ‘other’ projects So lets go back to July and work from that last post.

I posted on July 12th about the slow job those auto guys were doing on our engine, I gave them about a week to start with the re-boring process, then I called. Well, the guy said we couldn’t get sleeves in that size. Really, I said, want me to try because I bet I can find them in less than 15 minutes. Well, I have one other place I have not called yet. Ring – 10 minutes later, just wanted to let you know, the guy said, we found them and we can start in two days! Great, I said, I will be calling at the end of the day then to see how you are doing.

By the time I called I was told that “much progress had been made on the block” and that the valves that had been sent out to be worked on (remember the ones that we weren’t even told about being sent out) had been returned untouched. But the manager also told me that the bearings were bad and needed to be poured new; however, not to worry because he could send the engine and connecting rods down to St. Louis and they should be done in about 3 months!!!!! Curious about all this, I convinced my father that we should go and pick up the valves and inspect the job. To be honest, I thought he was stringing me alone with a line of bull about the great progress. Unfortunately, I was right!

So we headed up on Tuesday of that week and by ‘great progress’ they meant that in 3 months of having it they got the crank ground and polished (which was a nice job), ordered the sleeves and opened the box the sleeves came in. I came prepared for this situation because the day before, I got a hold of the master of pouring bearings, Rod Gaffrey http://www.gaffreybabbitting.netfirms.com/ in Dickinson North Dakota. I called up Rod and ran past him what he thought of the situation and whether or not he would be able to do the necessary machining (like boring) that this project demanded. Of course I can do all that, he replied. That was all I needed to hear – I told him that we would see him on Thursday that week.

We loaded the engine from that shop, paid the bill, and drove home with almost what we dropped off 3 months prior. But they did find a crack and circled for us on the block, fortunately for us someone can’t tell the difference between a crack and a scratch. In the mean time, we did have an opportunity to put the engine back on the tractor and perfect what we roughed out on the fenders in terms of brackets and placement of the fenders on the frame. I have pictures of those below. After which it was off to Rod’s house and 28 hours later we were back home. Talk about a crazy trip – 13 hours out there and 13 hours back with about a two-hour stop at Rod’s house - all done in one trip!!!! Man were we tired!!!!

Picture one is of the engine with the set fenders, but this one is just pretend because as soon as I snapped the picture we took it off and loaded it for our trip to Rod’s house.

Picture two is of the sleeves and pistons packed and ready to go our to ND

Picture three is the crank ground and polished

Picture four is of me and my daughter Macy on my Dad’s 1930, 22-45 H Eagle serial number 1809.

PS

Hey Dave - there is always time to take the Eagle out and let her stretch her wings!!! This is my daughter and I at Early Farm Days a few weeks ago. It was her FIRST tractor ride! My wife said, "Great now she's going to be a tractor snob!" Oh well
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fenders engine gas tank before rod.jpg
Views:	362
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	23748   Click image for larger version

Name:	piston and sleaves.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	23749   Click image for larger version

Name:	polished crank.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	23750   Click image for larger version

Name:	eagle.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	23752  
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 6,609 Times in 2,428 Posts

Randy,
Thanks for the update, man! Glad you got the pieces and got the Hell out of there. Unfortunately, I'm sure a lot of us can share "bumbling machine shop horror stories"....mine comes from around 20 years ago when my dad left an unstyled G JD block at a machine shop that said "We'll get right on it" every day for a week when dad kept calling them.....finally he got discouraged and didn't call for awhile....when he called back a month or so later they said "Well, we thought you didn't want that old thing, so we let the scrap man have it!" What do you think that block would be worth now a days?????

Mike
Old 09-25-2007, 10:54:50 PM
Registered

Location: 1851 6th. Conc. North, R. R. Stayner, Ontario Canada, L0M 1S0

Mike: A friend of mine bought a 69 Mustang Fastback in the rough many years ago. He and his brother along with various friends decided to tear it down to see what they had, and what shape it was in. They took the block to a noted local shop to have checked out. The shop told them the block was toast and they would throw it out for him. Upon returning home another friend was present and was looking at the rods and pistons, and wanted to know where the block was. Well when one friend told another, they were shown the rods and promptly informed to return to the shop and pick up the block. The rods happened to say "428CJ". My friend did not even know what he had, shaker hood, 4 gear and all. All he wanted was a 69 Mustang, apparently all the guy that sold it to him thought that was he had too. That thing was scary, factory rally wheel, and no power steering .

Robert

p.s. the shop knew exactly what they had
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01:40 PM
Subscriber

Machine shop horror stories... Sounds like the makings of a good thread.

Thanks for the stories!
Old 09-25-2007, 11:04:17 PM
Subscriber

The whole time going out to North Dakota to drop off the engine our conversation kept going back to the August 24-26th Clyde Schurman estate auction in Woodland, Washington and the 7hp Stickney that was on the auction. My father has always wanted one of these and retirement has given him the time necessary to find one of these beauties. So we thought wouldn’t it be cool if we were able to swing by Rod’s house on the way back from the auction on the 26th??? So I called Rod and ran it by him…. Well he said I will sure try, because I know what a long trip out here it is for you guys. With that the planning began for our weeklong trip out West to buy a Stickney and pick-up the Happy Farmer engine.

About two weeks before we are to leave I get a call from one of my best friends telling me that he has a line on a 7hp ‘barn fresh’ Stickney in Canada, am I interested??? Quick call to dad and a call back, YES! A little more than a week goes by, the engine is secured, and shipping is arranged – done. My father has the EXACT gas engine he has always wanted, a rusty 7hp Stickney. The trip plans have not changed – we are still going. The only change is that is has turned into a sightseeing tour. It was a trip of a lifetime for me! There are few things more special then spending time with your Dad in the pursuit of old iron all the while being surrounded by the beauty of the western wilderness.

We got to Dickinson on the Sunday night after the auction in Woodland and the engine was DONE!!! In about three weeks Rod had bored the block, resleeved it, poured new brass and babbitt rod bearings, main bearings and camshaft bearings. He also made new bushings and wrist pins for the pistons, lathed the piston rings to fit, installed the cam, cam gear and timed it. He also had it boiled, primed it, made gaskets and reassembled for us. It was a great job done!!! We were going to have Craig do all this for us but I know how he just loves to pour babbitt – plus it was more fun road tripping!!!

So what else has been going on that would draw us away from the Happy Farmer? First off the Stickney needs some work and a truck. A neighbor did give us, yes GIVE, us a Bettendorf truck for the Stickney. Unfortunately, it does have rotten sheet metal on the axels so we are in the process of fixing that so we can actually move the Stickney around! From that same neighbor we also were given (yes FREE again) a circa 1910 Appleton (Batavia, Ill) ‘Hero’ friction feed drag saw that we are working on replacing all the rotten wood. Our goal is to have the saw and the Stickney ready for the local November gas-up in Belgium, WI.

Picture one is a before shot of a connecting rod bearing.

Picture two is the block bored

Picture three is what it looked like when we picked it up at Rod’s in late August. If you notice that the head is missing it is because we did take that up to Craig’s and it is in the process of having a valve job.

Picture four is of my father Marshal and Rod
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bearing condition.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	69.6 KB
ID:	23754   Click image for larger version

Name:	block bored and sleaved.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	23755   Click image for larger version

Name:	engine done.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	23756   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rod and Dad.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	23757  

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 09-26-2007 at 12:18:45 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 01:07:52 AM
Subscriber

Just a quick hello to everyone. We are still moving forward on this project although it seems like its at a snails pace now compared to what it was about 4 months ago. It seems like the only time I have to do anything is between 9 and midnight - so most things are computer centered. I have been playing around with a new scanner and webpage. I have purchased a domain from Google, which was a first for me, and they give 100 mb of space for a webpage. So I posted a collection of Happy Farmer scans - I hope you like them. If you have any pics email them to me so that I can post them. If dial-up hates my website I am sorry. Let me know what you think - every image can be opened into a larger window.

Here it is: http://www.happyfarmer.org-a.googlepages.com/home

Anyone is welcome to copy my images as long as you do not profit from them.

You can also visit www.happyfarmer.org

Last edited by Randy Reysen; 10-21-2007 at 01:43:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 12:26:50 AM
Subscriber

Things are still moving forward on the ol' Reys-en-Shine homestead. We had a real good time this past weekend at the Wisconsin Open House. The Stickney and Appleton friction feed drag saw made their debut. Unfortunately, we forgot some parts to the 'feed' part of the saw so I and a buddy became the 'feed' power to the log - oh well it cut nice anyway. Steve has some really nice footage if you want to see it: http://www.oldengine.org/members/sba...007WIOpen2.htm

As you can see from the pictures below the engine has been painted. She will get another coat tomorrow and then it will be time to line up the clutch and transmission and get it set and bolted into place. The original clutch band was busted and had a very old repair to it, so using it as a pattern, a good friend and blacksmith, recreated one for us to exact spec's. We just have to get some copper rivets and attach the new clutch banding pad. So we are FINALLY getting to the point where we can answer Craig's question he posed some time ago,

"How did those built up differential gear teeth pan out?
I told your Dad I expected you'd have to do a little grinding at your end
once things were rigidly in place.
I want the unvarnished truth RIGHT HERE..........

So the answer is still pending...

I also hope to get the fenders finished this week (there's only about an hours worth of work to do) and then those will get painted as well.

After that we still need to mess around a bit with the radiator and paint that. But then...

We will be ready for the head - Craig??? (don't worry it will be a few weeks!)
Our new goal is to have this tractor done on or before the 1 year anniversary of it entering the shop - 3/25/08. My dad and I sure have had a lot fun and some very interesting adventures together throughout this whole process. Glad he's still around to have fun with and learn from, even if that 'fun' sometimes consists of two grown men yelling at each other in the shop My wife walked in on one of our 'discussion sessions' and she exclaimed, "What the H#LL, do you two really call this fun?" No lie, and at the same time, we both (very seriously) said, "Yeah, why?" She shook her head and walked out - we just had to laugh.

As always, more updates to come and thanks for following along.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Engine1.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	25731   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine3.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	25732   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine4.jpg
Views:	216