Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Unusual Devices, Accessories, and Collectibles

this thread has 217 replies and has been viewed 67075 times

Old 08-05-2007, 11:30:19 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts
Default Unusual Devices, Accessories, and Collectibles

I liked the Rumely memorabilia thread Krum posted that led to Cris Eppings photos of Rumely collectables. Since collectables (toys, tools, memorabila, litterature) are such hot topics, I am inspired to start a thread for unique items related to the era of steel wheel tractors. Perhaps some of the stakkers can provide pictures of intertaining or historical items related to the early machines that we are so consumed by.
I will start off with a seldom seen add on gas tank. Around 1930, a small number of Twin City tractors were gas only, at a time when dual fuel was the norm. Minneapolis Steel & Machinery co. later produced an add on gas starting tank to convert to all fuel. Once the manifold was swapped, this gas tank would clamp on to the back of main fuel cell by simply tightning the band around it. The typical fuel tank of this era was manufactured in one piece with two filler necks and caps. Probably not rare or valuable, but after a lengthy study of M.S.& M.C it is the only one that several of us have seen, so I wanted to share it with all the dedicated iron hounds on smokstak
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1552.JPG
Views:	660
Size:	72.4 KB
ID:	21694   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1553.JPG
Views:	588
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	21695   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1607.JPG
Views:	750
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	21696  
Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2007, 10:17:21 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Unusual devices, accessories,and collectables

Here is another odd devise used by Minneapolis Steel & Machinery Co. on the twin cam, 16 valve 17-28, & 27-44 Twin City. It is an optional oil pressure "pop up" gauge. while most of these machines were fitted with typical needle type oil gauges, a few were ordered with this unusual pressure pop up mounted at the top of rear valve cover in front of fuel tank. A line went down to oil gally on lower end of block to feed oil up to the pop up unit, that would protrude through a hole in the hood for operator to see.
A unique option available in the late 20's for a short time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1609.JPG
Views:	636
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	21990   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1613.JPG
Views:	609
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	21991   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1617.JPG
Views:	555
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	21992  
Old 08-13-2007, 06:28:07 AM
Subscriber

Tony - My Twin City Model TR 45hp stationary engine has a very similar oil pressure indicator.

Thanks!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:09:23 PM
Registered

i think this qualifies...

the 10-20 McCormick-Deering had uneven fenders, one side was shorter for the clearance needed for the belt pulley. many people don't know that there was a cover that you could install after removing the belt pulley for field work to even out the fenders and make it look better.
my father finally found one at the Lesueur swap a few yers back and it now makes a neat display.
it is not fully installed in the picture because he leaves the belt pulley on all the time
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2690.jpg
Views:	1192
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	22051   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2691.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	22052  
Old 08-13-2007, 11:44:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,391 Times in 1,119 Posts

Here's a couple odd Rumely tractor accessories. The umbrella probably came with a Lightweight series tractor. In the picture it is shading a Mogul engine, but it should be on a Rumely. I think the tachometer was sold around 1912, at least that is about the only time I ever saw it listed in a supply catalog. Even in the catalog they are shown with the "Rumely" name mis-spelled. I suppose they were made by another company & they didn't do a spell check before making a bunch of them.

Chris Epping
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCP_0002.jpg
Views:	1221
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	22053   Click image for larger version

Name:	tach.JPG
Views:	1079
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	22054  
Old 08-14-2007, 12:00:43 AM

Thanked 20,702 Times in 5,986 Posts

Take good care of that umbrella Chris...............REAL good care.
Do you know what the last one in that sort of condition sold for?.......
Old 08-14-2007, 12:27:48 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 10,391 Times in 1,119 Posts

Craig,
Yeah, it's not in the shop anymore. It is in pretty nice shape considering that it was in an old barn just before I got it. Unfortunately I didn't find it, but the guy I got it from was very decent to me on it. Thanks for the advice & please keep posting pictures of those good tractors!

Chris
Old 08-19-2007, 10:41:06 AM
Subscriber

Some time ago,I was the third owner of a 1933 F-12 with "drum hub", or waukeshaw type rear steel, and a spoked solid cast iron single front wheel. This was a very nice unmolested original, and one of the first to have an I.H.C. engine. When I changed oil, I found a re-usable metal oil filter. I have just located another filter like it, and wanted to post it because there are several unique things about this permanent filtration devise. It is a rolled sheet of brass perforated with a wave of ultra tiny holes The end caps are well made brass pieces that have four long bolts that pass all the way through length of filter from one end to the other, holding the assembly together. In a final effort to enhance filtration and durability, the end caps, and bolt heads were carefully soldered in place. Workmanship is first rate on this unit, although I am not clear on how effective it actually was in terms of micron filtration
On one edge it reads "Purolator pats pending", and on the other, it says "spacing .003"
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1619.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	22283   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1620.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	22284   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1621.JPG
Views:	451
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	22285  
Old 08-26-2007, 01:04:25 AM
Registered

Thanked 4,158 Times in 510 Posts

I just had the oil filters out of my brothers Cletrac today and they were the same thing but had another brass screen strainer on the outside of the filter you have in the picture.

Kelly T
Old 08-26-2007, 06:07:51 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamb View Post
i think this qualifies...

the 10-20 McCormick-Deering had uneven fenders, one side was shorter for the clearance needed for the belt pulley. many people don't know that there was a cover that you could install after removing the belt pulley for field work to even out the fenders and make it look better.
my father finally found one at the Lesueur swap a few yers back and it now makes a neat display.
it is not fully installed in the picture because he leaves the belt pulley on all the time
Re: the uneven fenders on the 10-20.The program with the uneven fenders was started by IHC with the International 8-16 sloped hood tractor.Same arrangement.You could remove the pulley,cap the splined end and add in the short front piece of the fender.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:06:16 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post
Some time ago,I was the third owner of a 1933 F-12 with "drum hub", or waukeshaw type rear steel, and a spoked solid cast iron single front wheel. This was a very nice unmolested original, and one of the first to have an I.H.C. engine. When I changed oil, I found a re-usable metal oil filter. I have just located another filter like it, and wanted to post it because there are several unique things about this permanent filtration devise. It is a rolled sheet of brass perforated with a wave of ultra tiny holes The end caps are well made brass pieces that have four long bolts that pass all the way through length of filter from one end to the other, holding the assembly together. In a final effort to enhance filtration and durability, the end caps, and bolt heads were carefully soldered in place. Workmanship is first rate on this unit, although I am not clear on how effective it actually was in terms of micron filtration
On one edge it reads "Purolator pats pending", and on the other, it says "spacing .003"

ah yes, I found one like this, from 1936 JD AR. filter is now cleaned and sitting in living room. - I never thought about in my F-12s... its about 5 Waukesha and 20+ of F-12 here in my shop, I will try check them all out.
Old 08-27-2007, 02:03:59 PM
Registered

I have a 1936 JD D that has one of those brass Purolator filters in it. Deere did come out with an adapter kit (the same parts that were standard on later models) to allow the use of better performing paper filters.

Forrest A
Old 08-27-2007, 05:29:43 PM
Subscriber

In most cases, a paper type replacement filter is available that will drop right in. I have been putting paper filters back in place for TC, MM, Farmalls,Wallis, Massey, Silver king.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:54:16 PM
Subscriber

Got a question for anyone who knows anything about these crude heavy toy tractors. I find them attractive in an odd sort of way......you know.....toss em in the flower bed, or decorate the shop or the out house with em I know that the four of them do not add up to a hundred bucks, and would smash toes, or chip concrete if dropped from two or three feet high.
When were these things made, why would anyone make such butt ugly castings,and is this the same manor of deception that ruined the cast iron seat market? (a poorly executed Arcade repo?) I will just use them for door stops, but am curious about their origin. from L to R. A Fordson with permanent driver, a Poppen Johnny A, a F-30 that is some sort of heavy, non ferous pot metal rather than cast iron, and an Allis U that is missing a removable driver & steering wheel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1665.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	22938   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1667.JPG
Views:	405
Size:	76.6 KB
ID:	22939   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1669.JPG
Views:	415
Size:	73.8 KB
ID:	22940   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1671.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	22941  
Old 09-09-2007, 11:18:39 PM

Thanked 20,702 Times in 5,986 Posts

I know the JD (2nd from left) is a cheap South American (Argentina I believe) knockoff.
They've been "marketed" on Ebay to the uninformed as "antiques" even though they're not worth the powder to blow them up.......although scrap prices HAVE been up for a while.......
I even saw them for sale in a Shopko store up here some time ago.
I'm not sure about the other three although the F-30 is the best done of the four.......and I've not seen one of those before.
Yard and garden ornaments for sure.......
It's a pretty safe bet nobody is going to steal them.......

I'm gonna sig Steve Barr on these...... .......see what he has to say.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:40:48 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,792 Times in 193 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson View Post
Yard and garden ornaments for sure.......
It's a pretty safe bet nobody is going to steal them.......
You are correct Sir.... I have one like the AC U, but I don't know who the maker is and the paint is much better and if I remember correctly, is a little different....I passed on the JD's as all they would be good for is to hold the door open....I have seen them in the chinese boxes at fleamarkets back in the late 90's. I have a fordson, but I believe it to be a knockoff...
Old 09-28-2007, 09:13:35 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Unusual devices, accessories,and collectibles

Here is a cute little Heider friction drive. It is surprisingly heavy for only being two inches long, and I wonder how many were made, as I have not seen another one.......of course one could easily miss something this tiny
The top of the canopie says, 1st annual quad city area farm toy & buckle show sept 25 1988. This one has been packed away in the original box, and is in perfect condition. It is difficult to get good pictures of this tiny toy. I placed it on a dollar bill to show size, and I hope someone can give us a little information on the miniature Heider......how many, who made them, any value?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HPIM1680.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	23894   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1689.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	83.0 KB
ID:	23895   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1690.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	23896   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM1691.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	23897  
Old 09-28-2007, 11:56:35 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

I was at an estate auction a few years back, the deceased had been a yard sale nut, & they had about 1/2 acre of tables w/his stuff. I never saw so many Skilsaws & drills in my life...literally piles of them. Among the junk was a mint condition steam engine indicator, beautiful nickel-plated brass, in a fitted oak case, with all the accessories & even some cards. I had just been reading a steam engine book, so I knew what I was looking at. For those unfamiliar w/them, an indicator was attached to a fitting on the cylinder, & recorded the pressure through the cycle on a card. Some old dude walked up while I was looking at it, & wondered what it was...I proceeded to tell him, thinking I was being helpful. The ignorant ol' B*stard got a blank look on his face, mumbled "Maybe it's some kind of dental equipment", & walked off... I resisted the urge to give him a swift kick in the rear, showed it to a friend who is a die-hard collector of anything old & cool, & he bought it for $20 or some such low price.
Ron in CO...
Old 09-29-2007, 11:25:50 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Anderson View Post
I know the JD (2nd from left) is a cheap South American (Argentina I believe) knockoff.

I can check one mine. I left at my parent's home somewhere. I hope I remember it.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:35:29 AM
Subscriber

Bumping this thread to the top because I am still looking for any possible information on the tiny cast Heider model I posted ?