Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Shop Equipment Tools and Techniques > Machine Shop and Tool Talk
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Machine Shop and Tool Talk Shop Equipment, fabrication, repairs, how to fix it, which tool to use for the job. Machinist shop talk, straight to the point.

Machine Shop and Tool Talk

Sears to sell the Craftsman brand

this thread has 22 replies and has been viewed 2252 times

Old 01-06-2017, 12:07:13 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,423 Times in 2,723 Posts
Default Sears to sell the Craftsman brand

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ut-900-million

Sears Holdings Corp. agreed to sell its Craftsman tool brand to Stanley Black & Decker Inc. for about $900 million, marking Chief Executive Officer Edward Lampert’s third move in the last two weeks to prop up the beleaguered retailer with fresh sources of funding.

Craftsman has been part of Sears since 1927, when the retailer acquired the brand for $500. The tools debuted in the iconic Sears catalog two years later. By the 1940s, the brand benefited from a surge in power-tool sales.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I like oldstuff For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-2017, 12:15:47 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Sears to sell the Craftsman brand

Hate to see things like this happen. Craftsman tools are all made over seas now. Sad to see this happen. Been using their tools for a long time. Times change!!
Old 01-06-2017, 12:29:09 PM
Registered

(Sigh) selling off what was (for many years) their best line of goods, and probably keep their worst. I hope they don't go the way of a number of other big stores... and they seem to be forgetting that not everyone likes to buy online. Some of us would prefer to at least SEE the item before plunking down our hard-come-by money - and going to a mainly online model is just asking for hacking and scamming. (I do recognize that some items do not lend themselves well to bulk marketing and are best handled online, but that's not mainstream stuff like tools.)

I don't know what they're teaching in Business school these days, but I'm not impressed (never was, actually).

They're also closing a lot of Sears stores. The local one lost interest to us as they focused more and more on clothes and perfume and household stuff - and neglected everything else. However, they DO still carry parts for (as an example) the Toro riding mower I picked up (broken/as is) and fixed. That's better than the "big box" Lowe's type places!
The Following User Says Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 12:47:11 PM
Subscriber

I think they'll eventually close all the retail outlets and focus on a web based store approach. Around here they've beenn the suck for the last 15 years. No facelifts, no new markets researched and few new products.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:14:24 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,934 Posts

I think what hurts Sears is most of their merchandise is rebadged other brand stuff. If they would just sell MTD mowers, Wrangler jeans,etc, instead of everything having to be a stitch different or a different color,they would make it.
And get the prices competitive. When you can buy a Mtd mower at Lowes for X dollars, or go to Sears and get the same machine painted a different color for 200 more,what would you do?
Old 01-06-2017, 06:40:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,099 Times in 1,934 Posts

You know that reminds me, I guess after this "snow storm" passes I will take a couple ratchets to sears and get them swapped.
They always give me rebuilts that don't last long but it beats buying expensive new tools.
I seriously doubt that Stanley will honor the warranty. why should they,they didn't make the tools until after the buy out,so they would not be obligated in any way to honor it.

Reason I say that is I have a handful of S-K Wayne tools that at 1 time had a lifetime warranty. I took them to a hardware store that sells that brand and they could not help me. Told me to call corporate office. Last time I tried the numbers provided, disconnected.
Stanley used to be good stuff but it is junk now. i aint bought new Stanley in years.

But in a land where ever Milwaukee power tools are now made in China, what can you expect from Craftsman?
Old 01-06-2017, 08:38:04 PM
Registered

It's all about greed and big pay out to executives.

I could never get over why a company would hire an executive from a failing company. Or how they could justify give bonuses to the execs at the banks as the banks got a bail out.

A company we used to supply tools for used to make driver bits. They made 125% profit on each bit. The ordered two machines from Taiwan. They ran the machines off at a warehouse before paying for them. They could make 200% profit if they left the machines in Taiwan. So they closed a 160,000 sq ft facility, fired nearly a 1000 employees just to make more money. They stiffed us for $166K in tooling to make the bits. Five years later the were bought out as they were in trouble.

When will they learn that if we don't buy or can't afford to buy the stuff they don't get a fat paycheck?

Personally, I have a forge and plenty of scrap steel, and a machine shop. No problems here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ron Weber For This Post:
Old 01-06-2017, 08:47:16 PM
Subscriber

^ Similar story. I sold a $150K machine to a company in Minnesota to harden tips on the little 1/4 inch drive screwdriver bits. As the machine was just about finished they cancelled the order and they gladly paid the cancellation charges. Why? they found out that they could buy a finished product from Chin for less than their raw cost of the materials.

we're toast.
Old 01-06-2017, 09:08:31 PM
Registered

Ace Hardware has Craftsman tools now. I have a set of British Witworth sockets and a 1/2 inch drive stainless steel socket wrench set that they probably wouldn't know what they are looking at if I need to replace one. 1992 I worked about 4 months in the automotive department as a salesman. Talk about high as a cats back and more. That was right along the time they settled the California law suit over front end alignments. Talk about some angry and or confused customers. Like I had a clue about that?
Old 01-06-2017, 09:25:40 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Don't warm up the toaster just yet...
I have a neighbor who is pretty smart on economics & such, plus his daughter spent a couple years in China. Sort of a dirty secret that we don't hear about is that the Chinese industrial expansion was built on plants & tooling from the US, bought for basically scrap price when our steel industry went tits up...a lot of this machinery was already old & is now obsolete & getting worn out...problem is, they don't have the ability to build new to replace it, & wherever they do get it, it won't be a bargain like they got last time either. So China may be headed for a few growing pains as an industrial power...
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 01-07-2017, 09:01:55 AM
Registered

Thanked 1,670 Times in 479 Posts

As one person stated Stanley owns a lot of companies mac tools is one of those you can go to Walmart and buy a Stanley ratchet and it says life time warranty on it, colbalt makes some pretty good tools you can get at lowes. Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:54:03 PM
Lead Head

The CEO of Sears is a complete idiot. Craftsman was the only valuable thing Sears had left, and even then he tried his best to destroy the brand before he sold it off. Craftsman used to be a great middle ground, where you could buy high-quality U.S. made sockets and ratchets at roughly 1/2 the price of stuff like S-K and Proto and around 1/3-1/4 the price of Snap-On stuff.

Then, in 2013 Craftsman changed their deal with Apex Tool and off-shored the production of all their sockets and ratchets to China while keeping the price of the tools exactly the same. If I'm going to buy a Chinese made socket, I'll just go ahead and get a Kobalt, Husky or Harbor Freight socket set at 1/2 the Craftsman cost instead, since they're all probably made in the same factory anyways.

The Sears CEO doesn't seem to understand that the reason no one goes to Sears anymore, is that it just isn't a pleasant experience to go to one. I just went to a Sears yesterday (one that's being closed, actually), and it was just depressing.

- The carpets were all worn out
- The ceiling tiles were all faded and sagging
- The lights weren't very bright
- The store was organized very poorly and the shelving and displays were ugly and unpleasing
- They're were still using the same cash registers and computer terminals they have been for the past 15 years

Why would anyone go to a place like that? My local super WalMart is a more enjoyable experience. The product Sears offered was fine, the issue was no one actually wants to set foot inside a Sears.

As far as Stanley buying Craftsman - I have mixed feelings about it. Stanley B&D isn't a dumb company (although they seem content with their own namesake brand being attached to low quality tools). They own several high-end brands like Proto and MAC that still have very high quality tools, but on the other hand they also have a lot of low end stuff, like B&D brand, Irwin and others. If they're smart, they'll re-shore the Craftsman hand tool and socket production and put it back to the way it was, which was a mid-priced tool with reasonable quality along with a lifetime warranty. If not, the Craftsman brand will lose all its brand equity very fast.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:41:41 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,053 Times in 3,105 Posts

Just remember that K Mart, the head co that took over Sears in that screwy reorganization to pull them out of bankruptcy the last time was only a way of grabbing the Sears real estate and liquidate it to get cash. It was not really meant to last, as soon as they went through the reserves they would still be gone as they were still the same idiots left in charge. The guy that brokered that deal got his bonus/ commission, has long ago left the scene with his cut. That same bad attitude has worked its way down through the chain of command and to the local managers and it comes across to the way the general public gets treated. The merchandise is substandard even compared to Wally Mart, the stores don't get kept up the parking lots are a disaster and they routinely screw over the suppliers. Any wonder why it will fail? But the corporate management still pay themselves mega money.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:19:51 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Weber View Post
It's all about greed and big pay out to executives.
I used to repair machine tools, especially CNC and NC equipment. I was in a shop one day when the owner called his people into the office (I was also in there working on something - I think one of their computers, I don't remember what).

He told all of his machinists, welders, and other personnel that he was closing his shop and shipping everything to Mexico, and if they wanted to keep their tools and stuff that they had until that night to get it - otherwise it would be shipped with the machine tools and everything else. He said, and I quote "Why should I pay you JERKS $12 an hour, when I can get the same work done in Mexico for $5 a DAY???" (This was in the mid to late 80s.) His prices never came down, however - it all went into HIS pockets (and I heard from one of those rare types - an honest business owner - that he'd been bragging about how much richer he was getting after the move). Oh, I should also add that he didn't pay me for fixing his equipment.

I also remember another shop, where the original owner had built up very carefully to where it was a respectable size and profitable. He sold it out to this guy who thought of it as a great investment. I was working on a CNC lathe when he came in and ordered the machinist to use the lathe to drill a bolt hole pattern on a flange. The machinist balked and told him that he would do better to use a CNC machining center (which he had three of them).

He fired the guy for not obeying him.

He also got mad when I told him that what he wanted done would require making a fixture or jig to even begin to do - and that his machining centers could do it in a fraction of the time considering setup and tooling.

His response was "Well, why do we have this expensive CNC lathe sitting here if it can't do what I want it to?" (He didn't have a single clue about the business he'd purchased "to get rich!").

I also lost my labor time to that jackass - never paid. [B][/B People like that have this nice habit of not paying people (or cutting the bill and telling you that you should consider yourself lucky "you have a job!").] Yet I had to pay for expenses, taxes, and fees. I ended up doing work for him and paying out of my pocket for it to boot.

That should sound familiar. It's common practice for the 1% in this country. If I had the money screwed out of us (that sort of work is impossible to estimate up front - diagnosing the problem, especially to the component level and determining what caused it, is 99% of the labor), we wouldn't be living in an old mobile home and having to do without a lot. I'd have health insurance, instead of having to do without. I could get the torn rotator cuff in my shoulder fixed, instead of trying to live with it. That's just a tiny bit of what we live with because of the 1% and their enablers.

People in this country have a lot of stereotypes, but they don't realize that most of them are wrong - and the people who are lifted up as examples to the rest of us (at least in this hellhole) are the ones causing all of the misery and problems. (If anyone says that poverty is caused by 'personal failings', remember these two - out of many - encounters with the 1%.)

---------- Post added at 01:19:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:13:22 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronm View Post
Don't warm up the toaster just yet...
I have a neighbor who is pretty smart on economics & such, plus his daughter spent a couple years in China. Sort of a dirty secret that we don't hear about is that the Chinese industrial expansion was built on plants & tooling from the US, bought for basically scrap price when our steel industry went tits up...a lot of this machinery was already old & is now obsolete & getting worn out...problem is, they don't have the ability to build new to replace it, & wherever they do get it, it won't be a bargain like they got last time either. So China may be headed for a few growing pains as an industrial power...
They more than make up for it by paying their people pennies per hour and treating them like slaves - it's pretty well documented and researched, but the 1% don't want people in this country to know how badly they're also being screwed over. As soon as people start demanding to be treated like human beings and paid a living wage, they start screaming about being competitive and find some other location that welcomes their $$$ while screwing (and even enslaving) the working people.

If anyone says that China is a communist nation - it is in name only. It is in reality an oligarchy, with a rich elite in power (and determined to keep it that way) while spouting communist mantras.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Archaeometrist For This Post:
Old 01-08-2017, 12:57:14 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,040 Times in 1,624 Posts

Thanks for mentioning that hell hole you live in. ..nobody has ever heard that before. ..
Old 01-08-2017, 01:39:42 AM
Registered

Had a boss that was fond of the saying "be glad to have a job" One of the reasons I took an early out. haven't been in sears store in years. Although much of the Craftsman tools I have were bought years ago, Kobalt which is sold at Lowes is of good quality and is the brand I now buy. Plus the store is only about 25 minutes away. Don't even shop at Home depot as I find the local one to be poorly run, can never find anything, and the last time I was in there looked poorly taken care of. Frank
Old 01-08-2017, 10:31:06 PM
Subscriber

Last time I went to Sears every hand tool I looked at said made in China. Haven't been back and that was 2 years ago. If I break one of mine I'll go buy a Allen or Masterforce at Menards they are made here. Sears is done and Stanley will make Craftsman cheap just like their tools. My 4" Craftsman adjustable wrench is the handiest tool I own always in my watch pocket combined with my leatherman can Macgyver my way out of most situations. .
Old 01-09-2017, 12:23:55 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,909 Times in 2,053 Posts

So...wheel turns. Forgive me but didn't Sears Roebuck become as big as they did through their mail order catalog business?
Doc
Old 01-09-2017, 01:13:38 AM
Registered

True. Someone in my wife's family had a Sears home - I don't remember who built it, but it came as a kit (mail order) - a pile of lumber with hardware and etc., and plans/instructions. I think that one of her cousins or relatives is living in it now, although I remember some talk of selling it to the city for preservation as part of a museum park.

I've enjoyed reading one of the old catalogs, there was a reprint out a few years ago that I'd love to snoop through again (from the start of the 20th century as I remember).

Some really interesting 'stuff' to be found there... a few things I'd love to have...

Thing is, back then they sold quality merchandise and had pride in their products.
Old 01-09-2017, 07:06:05 AM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Yup. Sears showed the wisdom of the ages when they closed-down their mail order business.

In order to make up for that loss, they cheapened what they sold and now look where they are.

If they'd kept their mail order division and kept up the quality, they'd have been able to put their catalog online and save on the cost of their catalogs and Amazon wouldn't be where they are today.

There are some really bright managers out there, folks!