Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Farm Antiques and Collectibles
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Farm Antiques and Collectibles Old belt driven farm equipment: shellers, milkers, threshers and pumps.

Farm Antiques and Collectibles

Speaking of mills...

this thread has 5 replies and has been viewed 2410 times

Old 01-10-2008, 07:57:29 AM
DanR

Default Speaking of mills...

Yesterday I found a mill(s). It's 3 1/2 stories high and was water powered. The water wheel and the bull wheel are there. The building is falling down and dangerous to go into. Inside is all the line shafting, the sheller, all the elevators and 4 mills. All the machinery looks to be in good shape but the building wont be there long. I sure wish I had the resources to rebuild this piece of history.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-10-2008, 01:49:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: Speaking of mills...

You may want to talk to the owners and see if they would be open to helping someone stabilize the building long enough to get some of the equipment out before it falls over. Also find out if they are members of SPOOM. Things like shellers and small burr mills can easily be stored in another building if they can be safely removed. Reiterate how valuable just the stones and line shafting could be. Anything is worth a shot!

Jeb
Old 01-10-2008, 02:55:43 PM
Registered

Echo what Jeb said about speaking with the owners, with the goal of at least stabilizing the structure until more resources are available to preserve it. If they are aware of its historical significance, perhaps they will work with you.

Another possibility: Form an organization with some of your fellow enthusiasts to purchase & preserve it. As a non-profit organization, you can get a 501c(3) tax status, which not only prevents you from having to pay taxes, but also makes all funds donated to your organization tax-free for the donors.

And keep in mind something my dad always tells me: Unless you ask, the answer's already 'No'!
Old 01-10-2008, 04:09:17 PM
Subscriber

Good luck in trying to preserve the mill. We are currently getting our mill back in operation. It has been a forty year process for my granddad to get it going again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	greham mill.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	28086  
Old 01-10-2008, 05:32:22 PM
Registered

Very nice, Jeff;

Mills are huge sinkholes for money. It takes millions of dollars (no exaggeration) to rebuild one properly. I myself have worked in water-powered and wind-powered mills so I know what goes into them. I like to demonstrate grinding and shelling with my tractor and engines at shows but would someday like to have a proper mill in the backyard. Since the likelihood of coming across a property, reasonably priced, with water rights is slim to none I envision a small 1-1/2 story building about 25x50 or so with an extension off to one side to house about a 15 hp reid engine that would drive everything. I have plans already drawn out giving a basic layout for a sheller, elevator, man lift, sack hoist, storage bins, line shafting, and a meadows mill with meal chest and elevator for the grinding. It'll take lots of time and $ but you gotta have a dream. Someday, this will be realized (God-willing).
Old 02-15-2008, 01:14:41 AM
Subscriber

DanR, call me about my mill on ebay 423 626 8236 your private message box is full.