Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Good place to buy a impact screw driver

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 3169 times

Old 04-20-2008, 03:37:51 PM
Registered

Default Good place to buy a impact screw driver

I had a impact screw driver years ago and it was very usefull, It was a must for working on Japanese motorcycles. It was a cheap brand and the bits shattered after a few years and I lost track of it. I'd like to find another. Auto parts store? Also, does anyone sell friction tape? seems like all that is available is plastic or duct tape? I covered an old tractor steering wheel with rubber tape (CTB-15 tape, self amalgemating) we use it in the cable tv business to wrap aerial cable connectors to weather proof. I want to cover the rubber tape with friction tape.
--Walt--

------------

Impact Screwdrivers on eBay
Sponsored Links
Old 04-20-2008, 04:05:23 PM
Chris Page

Default Re: Good place to buy a impact screw driver

Try Lowes they have thousands of different products

CHRIS
Old 04-20-2008, 07:06:33 PM
Sky

For the impact driver i would go to sears and get the craftsman type. I have 2 myself. ya you pay probably a little more for one but your buying a tool there thats tuffer then a peice of steel.
Old 04-20-2008, 07:09:41 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 7,767 Times in 2,942 Posts

Walt:

The impact drivers are fairly common at the tool sales (also known as "junk" sales).

You can get old fashioned friction tape (the cloth tape with the gooey stickum) at McMaster-Carr.

Mcmaster.com

Take care - Elden
http://www.oldengine.org/members/durand/
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11:47 PM
Registered

Sky is right!I have been working on jap bikes for 35 years,and the craftsman I bought then is still going strong.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:41:45 PM

Thanked 6,764 Times in 4,300 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Good place to buy a impact screw driver

I have a 3/8" MAC tool driver that is over 35 years old - it still works fine. I, however cannot find replacement hammer driver phillips bits! I have tried several sources, including MAC, Sears, Loews, and the Home Despot, and everybody wants to sell you a new driver and kit. I DON"T NEED ALL OF IT! I just need the phillips bits, and 1 allen Key bit I broke last summer.
Andrew
Old 04-20-2008, 11:03:06 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts

Mac tools do not make their own tools. Mac bought out from a major company. We have two full time electric and air tool repair tools coming in daily. Thousand of them in plant. Use mostly Chicago Pneumatic (CP) or Ingersoll Rand same part combinations as much like Mac. Mac bought out Stanley some years ago. Often times employees not thinking straight using air tool using like a hammer or postponed use oil. We buy from air tool or electric tool parts supplier any makes.
Find your local parts supplier.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:40:34 PM
Registered

Sky, I bought one from Sears today, on sale, $21.95 after tax. It's a Craftsman with 4 bits. 3 phillips and 1 slot. I need a smaller slot than is in the set to loosen the set screws that hold the coil core in place on my F.M. FMX2B6D magneto. I've had the magneto set screws soaking with PB Blaster for a couple of weeks now.
--Walt--
Old 04-22-2008, 05:24:36 PM
Registered

Wink Re: Good place to buy a impact screw driver

I bought my last one from the MATCO tool truck "TOOLMAN" (I'm retired now)
Old 04-22-2008, 06:40:51 PM
Registered

I got this one from NAPA, part # SER 1140
Works great, Josh.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	24657.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	32719  
Old 04-22-2008, 09:16:19 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt in Jaxn Tn. View Post
Sky, I bought one from Sears today, on sale, $21.95 after tax. It's a Craftsman with 4 bits. 3 phillips and 1 slot. I need a smaller slot than is in the set to loosen the set screws that hold the coil core in place on my F.M. FMX2B6D magneto. I've had the magneto set screws soaking with PB Blaster for a couple of weeks now.
--Walt--
The Craftsman impact driver is (or was) a good one. I'm only on my second one after 40 years.

They are an indispensible tool- the best I have found- for removing the screws that hold many of the external hoseshoe magnets on various magnetos. For some reason, nothing I have found hardly works at all except the impact driver and it works awesome!

On the other hand........for your Fairbanks FMX magneto, I don't know if I would use it. Reason: those coil securing screws are pretty darn hard and they can fracture off half of the screwhead! Then you are really up against it because it is difficult to center drill the screw out and any wandering of the bit just goes off "towards the Joneses" and the soft aluminum will not help any to contain an errant bit.

I grind a screwdriver to fit perfect and tight, put the mag housing into a soft-jawed vice, and make liberal use of heat. Not so much as to hurt things but get it plenty hot and then try backing them out with whatever tool you've prepared.

Before any damage accrues the the screwhead, I stop and regroup. This may mean reheating and cooling with water sprayed from a spray bottle, or whatever but usually I repeat whatever I'm trying over and over until success is attained. I'm willing to retrace my steps, try something new or ???, but don't break the screwhead or you may be looking for a new housing.

When you're done re-assembling your mag, put a little anti-sieze on those screws, tighten them up, and then seal the screwheads with a dab of paint, hard-set Permatex, or whatever, but don't leave the screws dry and unselaed because you may want to get back in there in the future without having to fight them again.

Yeah, I really do like my Craftsman impact drivers but careful on those particular screws! Hope this little digression makes some sense and is of help. I've worked on quite a few of the FM-? magnetos but I've only had to drill out one of the screws and I vowed "never agin" !
Old 04-27-2008, 02:58:54 AM
Registered

This may not work for you, but here it is: I've used the impact screwdriver head and bit with a ratchet (sometimes with cheater bar) and had some good results using good old fashioned regular torque. You might try that first if there's any danger of cracking the screw on impact. It's even worked for me in cases where the impact failed. Just an idea. Good luck.