Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Linn at 150 years of logging show in Indian Lake, NY

this thread has 146 replies and has been viewed 15830 times

Old 07-30-2008, 09:03:54 AM
Registered

Default Re: Linn at 150 years of logging show in Indian Lake, NY

Terry , I know he started using the Wisconsin PT engine in 1917 and i believe he switched to the cotta transmission around that time, also A.E. Hammond of Van Buren Me. bought 5 4 cylinder lombard engine machines in 1912 and the Fraser co of Edmunston bought 10 4 cylinder lombard engine machines in 1912 also. Charles E. jones of ST. Francis Me. bought a sterling powered machine in Dec.13 1919 s/n 2104 this was the earliest i knew of in the Allagash region. Don
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2008, 10:24:29 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,605 Times in 432 Posts

Thanks Don,

I definatetly need to pay you a visit.

I have a listing for Hammond somewhere in the records. Unfortunatly they are not complete. What I have was incorporated into an extensive report to Lacroix involving forest conditions, past operations, watershed development and extensive cost anylisis as well as land ownership. The subs were working on a cost plus bases so the company recored thier expenses. Its quite an interesting read. Unfortunatly the maps included with the original report have long since vanished.

Sure wish I had more!

Attached is a close-up of the Lombard engine at Cunliff.

Rene,

A.O.'s first claim to fame was a Wood chipping machinery and feed attachments for debarking equipment.

Best regards,

Terry
Old 07-30-2008, 10:26:39 AM
Registered

Opps forgot to attach the photo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cunliff-4A.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	36789  
The Following User Says Thank You to tharper For This Post:
Old 07-30-2008, 02:25:50 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,083 Times in 474 Posts

Wow. That must have taken some time to do! Thanks for all the pictures and information everyone, it's fascinating!
Old 07-30-2008, 04:31:31 PM
Registered

Do you know if these c. 1912 machines were double or single tracks? Bill Lynch seems to think there was more than just Linn's single track built, the problem was it couldn't haul a load and became unstable trying to go over rough terrain, "like a three legged man" as one person called it. He still had that when he arrived in Morris in 1915, pulling all his show equipment in a wagon train, but it disappeared by 1916. Our historical society has a hoodside off from it, painted red with "Dog Show" on it, and water pump/coupling grease on the back. One of those "Iconographic series" history books for the Waterville, ME area has a pic of this unit (see previously attached) c. 1912 with H.H. Linn incorrectly identified as A.O. Lombard. Then Linn went to an improved two track gear driven design while in Syracuse, NY, which he also brought to Morris and rebuilt over the winter of 1915/1916, with the runnerblock addition to the track system and other changes that became the basic design of the Linn tractor. At that tiem he was still in the show business, it was a polio epidemic closing his shows (children were his chief clientele) that was final straw in convincing him to settle here, that and a good waterpower site and people willing to invest in a FARM tractor.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:49:55 PM
Registered

Rene, The 1912 machines were all twin track machines, lombard made 4 single track machines from 1909-1910 ,1 for linn and 3 others 1 of the 3 went to a M.G. Stevens farm in Fort Fairfield Me. which was a potato farm. they had a habit of tipping on their sides so he discontinued them!! Don
Old 07-30-2008, 07:35:47 PM
Registered

With that in mind Lombard must of been looking for a share of the agricultural market.

Having grown-up in the county I can tell you there's a reason we only used tractors with wide front-ends!

Best regards,

Terry
Old 07-30-2008, 08:19:34 PM
Registered

Terry, Your cunliffe depot engine picture really shows those angle brackets the blacksmith used, wish i had been smart enough to take more pictures back in the 70's when i was chasing all this stuff! Don
Old 07-30-2008, 08:27:44 PM
Registered

Quote:
A.E. Hammond of Van Buren Me. bought 5 4 cylinder lombard engine machines in 1912
Frustratingly Hammond only shows up in the entry for 1907-08. Probably quit jobbing for the St. John Lumber Co.

Anything on John A. Morrison? The entry for 1912-13 states "Morrison commenced using log hauler"

Best regards,

Terry
Old 07-30-2008, 08:32:31 PM
Registered

Don,

We got quite a kick out of that bracketry. In fact I wrote a short verse titled "The Lombard on the Cunliff shore" Basicly it was about a frustrated mechanic taking vengence with a torch.

Whats amazing is such a small firm as Lombard would take on building nearly 100% of the components used in these early gasoline tractors.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01:33 PM
Registered

Terry, I dont remember anything on Morrison specifically but i will check my pictures ,he must have been using a steam lombard, St. John lumber Co Van Buren Maine bought a steam lombard Nov 20 1906. Don
Old 07-30-2008, 09:41:54 PM
Registered

In reference to the other steam Lombard in NY, you can find online the "History of Franklin County, NY - Historical Sketches of Franklin County...by Frederick K. Seaver, 1918, it says of Goldsmith (Town of Franklin): "H.L. Smith built a steam sawmill at this place 8 or 10 years ago and operated it until his death in the early part of 1915, hauling his product to the railroad at Loon Lake with a traction engine. The Wait mill still stands, but is idle."
And: "Goldsmith is on the north Branch of the Saranac River about 5 miles below Hunter's Home, and is only the site of an old sawmill and lumber camp."
The river flows east into Plattsburgh, which is where most of the pulp and softwood from the vicinity went, the railroad reached Loon Lake (to the west) in 1886. I'm guessing Wait could have been shipping hardwood?
Seems as though the machine would have still been serviceable, possibly sold by the estate with the mill, will see if anything more can be turned up on this. (Excuse for a road trip to the woods)
Old 07-30-2008, 10:27:48 PM
Registered

Rene, im not much of a computer person it takes me forever to type with one finger But if you want a road trip 4 steam phoenix haulers were bought on june 6 1913 by the McIntyre Iron Co. of North Creek New York !! Don
The Following User Says Thank You to loggah For This Post:
Old 07-31-2008, 01:07:06 AM
Registered

The railroad runs right thru there all the way up to Tahawus Mines, but the Lombards could have been used to haul the ore down to North Creek before the line was extended. (This is where Vice Pres Teddy Roosevelt caught the train back to Washington after McKinley died, one of the trails to Mt. Marcy is from the Tahawus/McIntyre site) After the Hurricane in Nov. 1950 they were hauling hardwood off National Lead Co. property with Linns for several years, so I have been all over that neck of the woods, but where there are rails there rarely is scrap. Barton Mines in North Creek (Gore Mtn garnet works, still active) had a Linn when they expanded operations c. 1924, at this time all tractors going into this region ended their rail trip at North Creek. Today they run rail excursions between North Creek and Riparius, otherwise the line is unused, it was left intact should the titanium deposits at Tahawus ever be economically feasable to work again. But thanks, I had no idea they ever used steamers there, gives me something else to pester historians and museums about. We had the map out tonight as my mother is trying to drag my father off to a bluegrass festival at North Creek. Had heard speculation of a steamer for hauling ore, possibly Pheonix, up to Benson Mines, St. Lawrence Co. NY.
However several years ago I did hike in back of Putnam Ponds (west of Ticonderoga) to rock Pond several years ago to investigate a boiler that turns out ran an iron ore plant on Rock Pond at an earlier date, the ore was hauled by horse team from there to Ironville (home of the first industrial electromagnet and a respectable museum) where it was loaded onto a narrow gauge railine for Crown Point. I have not inspected the boilers over the bank at the McIntyre works but they sounded too big for a log hauler.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	62900rockpondorecrusherboiler.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	36816  
Old 07-31-2008, 11:15:30 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by loggah View Post
Terry, I dont remember anything on Morrison specifically but i will check my pictures ,he must have been using a steam lombard, St. John lumber Co Van Buren Maine bought a steam lombard Nov 20 1906. Don
Don,

that St. John Lumber Co. steamer is listed as one of the assets transfered to Lacroix when he purchased the company in 1924. Talk about a deal: The land and assets were valued at 700,000.00 he snatched it all up for $150,000.00

Yes, according to the records I have Morrison listed as commencing using a steamer during the 1912-13 season.

The records state that during the 1917-18 season he hacked a road to Chamberlain and recovered 3 of the Marsh & Ayer (Eastern Manufacturing) steamers that operated out of Russell Brook (1908-1913) His cost for that season list $24,000.00 spent to retreive these machines.

Iam not sure if these were purchased directly by Eastern Manufacturing or John Kelly who may have been either an employee or a jobber.

That Steven's single track has me intriuged. I My have my brother go snooping around. He's only a mile or so from there. Unfortunatly most of those county farmers participated whole heartedly in the scrap drives.

Best regards,

Terry
Old 07-31-2008, 01:16:37 PM
Registered

Some personal mentions from the local (Morris, NY) paper you might find of intrest if you are right in the Ft. Fairfield vicinity, I think that Stephens/Stevens could possibly have been related to Linn? I would check the maps, locate where the farm out buildings were, and the farm dump (corner brush lot, creekbank, etc.) because until the 1930's most metal scrap was not worth hauling away and just got buried, especially small pieces or if hard to seperate from wood. If Linn was a local boy the purchase of the machine should have made mention in the local weekly paper as all that new technology stuff did back then.

The other issue is wood bridges, when a machine went through them the town boards usually had a discussion and some mention in the local paper as well. I found anecdotal evidence of Linn's show route through the Catskills in 1915 by newspaper mention of two covered bridges the single track machine broke the floor of. State highway law said the towns were responsible for the upkeep and safety of the bridges, this was before they began posting weight limits. I found a letter where Linn explained this to a customer, and how to go under the bridge and check all the timbers with a knife blade and insist any punky ones be replaced. Not everyone was a fan of the mechanized age needless to say.

July 1927 - H.H. Linn in Maine with two Linn tractors, (This may be the year they flew up with two airplanes, but only came back with one after the other (Travelair?) crashed when a mechanic crashed it while giving his kid a joy ride, Linn had the wreckage shipped back to Morris and it sat in the tractor graveyard, an old sandbank where they demonstrated new and dismantled old tractors--- now mostly washed away by the Butternut Creek, but all that iron and debris is what contaminated me from an early age )

Aug. 30, 1928 - A house party held at H.H. Linn's - First annual reunion of the descendants of Thomas Flannery, Aroostook County, ME & Pheobe Lovely, included William Flannery (Linn's real father, they hadn't spoke until after Linn's mother died in 1923), Mr. & Mrs. Isaac Conant, Miss Byrl Conant & Joseph Conant of Ft. Fairfield.

Oct. 3, 1929 - Mr. & Mrs. H.H. Linn visiting in Maine accompanied by H.H. Linn's father, William Flannery of Ft. Fairfield.

April 24, 1930 - Mr. & Mrs. Fred Lovely of Presque Isle, cousins of H.H. Linn, guests a few days on way home from Florida, also a Mrs. Harper. (Any relation?)

Sept. 18, 1930 - Mrs. Philena Jackson and daughter Myrtle of Ft. Fairfield visiting at H.H. Linn's.

July 2, 1931 - H.H. Linn has been in Caribou, ME, making the trip by plane.

July 23, 1931 - Cousins of H.H. Linn visiting from Ft. Fairfield, including Mrs. Cora Houghton, Mrs. Mary Stephens, Mrs. Preston Boyd and Allen McGregor.

1932 - Vernon Woodman of Ft. Fairfield visiting at H.H. Linn's.

July 1937 Linn relatives at H.H. Linn's funeral (plane crash was saturday morning, July 3, 1937) included Mrs. Isaac Conant, Miss Beryl and Joseph Conant, Mrs. Cora Houghton, Mrs. Mary Stevens & Frank Averill of Ft. Fairfield.

The Town of Caribou had a c. 1921 Linn # 267 4 cyl. Wisconsin, and a c. 1927 # 1129 6-26-D model Linn with 6 cyl. Waukesha. Ft. Fairfield a c. 1921 # 257 with the rare Stearns 4 cyl. Town of Washburn had # 275 with a Wisconsin, bought through Washburn Motors Co., G.R. Cheney, Pres. Town of Presque Isle purchased #256 in April, 1921 which by 1927 was owned by Portage Lake Mill Co., the town getting a 6-26-D # 1136. This was before Frink and Sargent were put on Linn so probably had the Linn-Champion (Good Roads) plow. Town minutes are public records even though most clerks or historians grudgingly comply with requests to look through them, some clerks record everything and everyone at every meeting, some barely record they had a meeting, but you can find a lot of interesting highway machinery related history in there.
Old 07-31-2008, 01:44:05 PM
Registered

Here is the Hog Island, Philadelphia (now airport?) navy yard article from p. 29, of the April 15, 1918 Commercial Car Journal. Now that would make quite a parade vehicle! (But who could afford to feed that monster?)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Aprl151918CCJLombardHogIslandPA.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	36826  
Old 07-31-2008, 01:49:57 PM
Registered

On the Goldsmith, Town of Franklin, Franklin County NY post above I meant to say "H.L. Wait" not "Smith", yes my fingers may be faster than some but not always connected to the brain
Which explains what I drag home from auctions....
Old 07-31-2008, 03:21:01 PM
Registered

Default Re: Postwar Lombards

Only known postwar photo of a Lombard in NY, taken by Linn salesman Maurice Bridges near Redfield, Tug Hill, NY, July 1947, one of the two Adirondack Core & Plug (originally T.C. Williams of Partlow) tractors that were junked by the early 1950's, the carb off one now on Breton's Wisconsin powered Lombard thanks to the man who hauled it for junk keeping that for a souvenir.
The Nova Scotia book I was thinking of is "Sheet Harbour History, from The Notes Of An Old Woodsman" by Howard Coady c. 1988, p. 73, it shows a photo of a three stack, high radiator (125 hp?) "Lombard tractor purchased by R.E. Dickie for Canadian Lumber Co. in the 1920's at Stewawiacke, N.S. This is the machine that Malcolm J. Barkhouse took out of mothballs, hauled a 30 ton boiler on a tractor sled from Sheet Harbour to Eastern Hat & Cap Factory in Truro in January 1947." (The photo shows it hauling at least four sleds of lumber. The boiler had originally been moved from a mill in Yarmouth, taken by rail to Chezzetcook where it was floated in saltwater by inserting wood plugs, and towed to Sheet Harbour).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tughilllombard.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	36827  
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12:25 PM
Registered

Rene, I think some reporter got his wires crossed ,that picture looks like a early 4 wheel drive to me, maybe wrong picture to caption,never seen anything like it from lombard related stuff. Rufus Dickie of Stewiacke, N.S. bought lombard S/N 3168 has wisconsin engine, on Dec. 20 1926 through J.S.Innes lombards Canadian represenitive. This has to be a PT model 100 horsepower ,i dont know why the larger radiator,unless it was replaced. Don