Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Original 1907 Frick Colors

this thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 1551 times

Old 07-24-2008, 07:11:14 PM
Allen

Default Original 1907 Frick Colors

Just a FYI post -- We spent part of yesterday (before Jim's funeral) and most of today painting a friend's 1907 16HP Frick traction engine. We found the following colors underneath 100 years worth of caked on cylinder oil and dirt.

1. Flywheel, frame and canopy - Dark (but not quite forest) Green
2. Ground wheels and center section of the front axle- Dark Red/ Maroon
3. Pre-heater, countershaft bracket casting, and gear covers - Orangish-Red (kind of like cream of tomato soup)
4. Steering gear, differential, wheel retainers, outer parts of the front axle, fuel bunker, governor, and canopy supports - Black
5. Engine proper - Bright Red
6. All pin striping - Yellow
Yes, SIX colors -- she must have been just a wee bit gaudy when new.... kinda made us wonder if it was originally done up for some kind of expo event.

Unfortunately, we didn't think to take pictures and it's now all just the orange/red and black
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2008, 07:51:15 AM
Registered

Default Re: Original 1907 Frick Colors

I owned and restored a 9x10 of 1920 vintage. The engine proper had the original paint still intact. I was told it should be a maroon color but, it had faded to a orangish,pink chalky color. I wonder if this is what your preheater and parts had done?
Old 07-26-2008, 08:31:07 AM
Allen

Dave, Not doubting you, but these colors I listed were found UNDER a hardened heavy coat of grease, cylinder oil, old chaff and dirt... 1/8" thick in some places, and as much as 1/2" or more in the nooks. The paint in these spots looked almost fresh.

Somebody at one point (early on, perhaps even before it was sold) had repainted the flywheel red --even down to matching the pinstripes -- but it was peeling off or gone in about 10 places, and the previous owner had painted the cylinder jacket and about 1/3 of the spokes on one wheel. The rest of the paint (really rough on most of it) was only a single layer (ie not repainted). Also, the previous owner's father (who owned it for MANY years) had always maintained that the paint WAS the original. What I saw pretty much jibes with this.

I KNOW this engine's colors don't conform to what the Frick club says the "official" colors were. (What year were they adopted anyway?) That's part of the reason I wanted to get this down in writing BEFORE my memory failed. lol.
Old 07-27-2008, 06:53:15 AM
Registered

Alan,
Thanks for the reply! Yes, it sounds like a very coclorful engine in its day! Maybe it was dressed up for an exposition like you mentioned earlier. I really am not sure what year the colors were standardized, if they were at all!
I did hear that the artists who did the pinstriping were given a free hand at their art. I took a lot of pictures of an engine around lancaster when I was in the neighborhood which, had the original pinstriping still intact. Was told it was striped by the famous John Kauffman back in the day.
Old 07-27-2008, 10:50:18 AM
Registered

Thanked 3,319 Times in 1,028 Posts

If your paint still intact. It is possible to pry out paint carefully and take it to Sherwin Williams paint store( if they carry industrial paints products). Have them computer scan paint for paint number to match. One of my Greyhound steam friend did this. He said his battleship grey paint number is now in nation wide in color search.
Old 07-27-2008, 01:42:02 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,074 Times in 493 Posts

I have a Frick 7x10 No 3842 with unrestored original paint and what remains is pretty colorful. It is red and green with yellow striping and some fancy yellow (multicolored) flowery decoration on the bed. Factory record state this engine was shipped to Fitchburg MA on Sept 25 ,1885.

I have the engine and heater. No boiler. Yes, It was/is colorful.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:48:49 PM
Allen

Personally, I would have either tried to remove the places that were painted over, then steam the thing clean and give it a dose of linseed oil (Okay, I'd probably have painted the boiler as it was more dirt, rust and greenish stuff than paint), or repainted it to match the original colors as close as possible.

But it wasn't my call. The owner got the paint store to match the color of the preheater and told us to paint it all...so we did....I DO have 2 quarts of burgundy that I COULD do the wheels with and a quart of red ... but I'm plum outta green.