Steam Engines
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines Antique steam engines, their boilers, pumps, gauges, whistles and other related things that make them run.

Steam Stationary Engines, Traction Engines

Northwest Antique Power Association

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 1632 times

Old 09-02-2008, 08:54:16 AM
Registered

Thanked 8,242 Times in 2,121 Posts
Default Northwest Antique Power Association

While I am not a member of the local steam show, I have coffee with some members a few times a week. This show will be held this next Friday, Saturday and Sunday at Olsen Pioneer Acres just east of the "Kalispell Airport" or its true name, Glacier Park International Airport (north of Kalispell). There will be signs at Pioneer Road directing traffic east from Highway 2 East.

As far as I know, the old 28hp Minneapolis will be up and running. They have a new binder, a new thresher and a new sawmill this year. The steamed corn makes me want to go.

The reason I won't be there??? Mike left Camp Blackhorse about the time I ate supper last night. His convoy was taking him to Kabul, a US helicopter from there to Bagram AFB, a C-37 to Kuwait, and a flight to Dallas and then commercial to Helena, Montana. So Paw, as much as he likes steam and steam engines, will be absent from this steam show.

I know John Hanson and Doug McDougall will do a great job with the Minneapolis.
Gary
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2008, 10:02:47 AM
Registered

Default Re: Northwest Antique Power Association

That's SUPER news Gary!! Hopefully we're going down to Barnes' this week and retrieve your two loaned out pop-offs. Will also plan on bringing out the hydro pump. Let us know when you'll be out at Wauseon West.

RickinHelena
Old 09-02-2008, 10:55:49 AM
Registered

Rick,
I don't know for sure, but I'd bet that Saturday Sept 13th at about 3:PM would be best bet from this end, as far as the pop valves and hydro pump. We're trying to not disturb too much of their immediate family this coming weekend, as we're not sure when he'll arive in Helena. We just want to be "under-foot" as parents are supposed (expected?) to be this weekend. I have to work next week.

Mike and I discussed steaming at Wauseon West. We decided the best thing we could do is have a Steam Centennial next summer at Silver Creek. Both the 20hp Reeves and the 15hp Case (Bed (shed) partners and great friends!) will be one hundred years old next year and that summer will bring a celebration with steam.
Gary
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 09-04-2008, 08:58:58 AM
Registered

BBBBBBump!
Old 09-04-2008, 12:15:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,160 Times in 378 Posts

Gary,
Great news, Thanks,give me a call when you get down if you have a minute,my flight is to get in Helena later today.

,Mike
Old 09-04-2008, 01:59:23 PM
Registered

Mike,
Thanks... I'll try to remember in the uproar. I got the phone call message sent by Kevin Small on your phone last night. If you think I have a hard time programing a VCR or DVD recorder, you haven't seen me on a dam cell phone yet! Early in my posting here on SmokStak, I said old people shouldn't have computers. Now I've revised that to cell phones. My (school's) cell phone has so darn much more technology than I'm capable of using, and I'll be glad to retire soon (3-months one week, roughly, but not that I'm keeping track or anything.) and give the cell phone back to them.
Gary
Old 09-11-2008, 05:03:30 PM
Registered

John Hanson...
I visited with Doug McDougall (licensed operator) who fired the 28hp Minneapolis at the NAPA show last weekend. John helped at the wheel, besides doing piping, firing, etc. He steered right into the thresher his first try. Congratulations, John! He said he remembered the ghost behind him in an old black felt hat (Austin) that was watching him do that.

They're going to plow in a week or two. I don't know the exact day?
Gary
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 20 Reeves Highwheeler For This Post:
Old 09-11-2008, 07:36:17 PM
Registered

Yah, Austin got me up there on that engine a bit over 37 years ago, at his ranch near here, and let me (a 10 year old kid at the time) steer it from the separator to the house after threshing all weekend...and I'm pretty sure I felt a nudge or 2 on Sunday.
We had a good weekend... some "challenges" with some fittings and piping (after all, it's about 80 years old)...but all in all, it turned out great. Friday night I had the main steam line from the dome flange to the steam chest off (including governor and throttle valve) as well as the boiler feed line from the heater to the check valve off and apart..but everything was back on by morning.
State boiler inspectors were there Fri, Sat, Sun, and turned out to be great guys. They treated us very well, and were very professional, courteous, and practical in their job.
John

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to John Hanson For This Post: