Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Best Offer? (when using classifieds)

this thread has 46 replies and has been viewed 6991 times

Old 08-18-2007, 05:52:15 PM
Registered

Default Best Offer? (when using classifieds)

What do you say guys,when you place an ad on Engine Ads and ask for "Best
Offer"do you get the best offer or do you get a suprise or do you get dead silence? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2007, 06:31:31 PM
Subscriber

Default Re: Best Offer

Jeff, good question. I always suspected they want to find out what their item is worth before they decide to sell it.
Old 08-18-2007, 07:00:30 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,219 Times in 478 Posts

Here's another scenario...I have an ad listed with several engines. The prices are listed in the ad. The price box just gets left empty. I just leave it blank because I might wanna deal a little or take a trade. After the ad gets placed and you get calls, the future's wide open.

how do you folks deal with this? Any ideas?

thanks! -Brian
Old 08-18-2007, 07:26:42 PM
Sponsor/buy,sale,trade

Smile Re: Best Offer

HI ALL , I SALE BOTH WAYS (SEVERAL ENGINES & PRICED, OR INDIVIDUAL & PRICED) WE COLLECTORS HAVE A BALL PARK FIGURE ON WHAT ENGINES ARE WORTH , & SHOULD LIST THE PRICES WITH OUR LISTINGS. I FEEL LISTING AN ENGINE,PART,OR ANYTHING FOR "BEST OFFER" IS WASTING YOU & OTHER PEOPLES TIME. IF YOU REALLY WOULD LIKE TO SALE AN ITEM, THEN YOU WILL PUT A PRICE TAG ON IT. YOU CAN ALWAYS PUT A PRICE ON AN ITEM & MARK IT "NEG/ OBO". I WOULD RATHER SEE US GUYS SALE OUR OLD IRON ON HARRY'S, THAN ON ANOTHER AUCTION SITE.(KEEP IT IN THIS FAMILY). I WILL BE SELLING SEVERAL ITEMS @ PORTLAND INDIANA SHOW THIS NEXT WEEK, THE WAY I DISCRIBED(PRICED & NEG/OBO).

JUST MY "OP", THANKS BRADY
Old 08-18-2007, 08:10:39 PM
Subscriber

Generally if theres no price listed I wont bid. Usually ends up a waste of time.
The seller always assumes your offering less than half of what he wishes the item is worth and suddenly says its worth three times that amount and then expects you to increase your offer for an item he wasnt really selling anyway. But would if he got twice what its worth.
If he selling it he should put a value on it first.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:11:36 PM
Registered

How would the seller... or anyone else.... know when the "best offer" had been tendered? When the seller's patience ran out, or when potential buyers' patience ran out? 2 weeks? 2 months? 2 years?
Old 08-18-2007, 08:20:09 PM
Registered

With a best offer ad, the seller should have a license 'cause HE'S FISHING!!! Honestly, if you want to sell something, do a little bit of research to find out what it's worth, and don't waste everyone's time.

Chris
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24:32 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldironJeff View Post
when you place an ad on Engine Ads and ask for "Best Offer"do you get the best offer
I've never engaged in those sorts of "fishing expeditions." But many times I've seen items that seemed interesting to me, but passed on them because I don't consider "best offer" ads serious solicitations to sell.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:26:24 PM
Registered

I go through this alot with buying cars. You see one for sale on the side of the road and call the number. Ask the guy what he wants for it and you get "make me an offer".

I hate that... because usually I make them an offer and then they get offended, which means they obviously must have had a price range in mind to start with!!

If someone is selling on this site, they obviously are not ignorant to the worth of old iron, and should PRICE their ads.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:21:05 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,834 Times in 258 Posts
Thumbs down Re: Best Offer?

Ads without prices are one of my pet peeves! Take note sellers: Don't waste our time! Bill Klein
Old 08-18-2007, 09:22:15 PM
Registered

when i put ads out i usually put the price in as well as or best offer. for example $350.00 or best offer. to me this shows the potential buyer that you are willing to negotiate the price. i also mention i am open to taking a trades instead.

jordan
Old 08-18-2007, 10:42:32 PM
Registered

Default Re: Best Offer?

What about if you do not know the value of an engine, say I am looking to sell my Edwards two cylinder. I do not really know what it is worth---I would post it as "best offer"--- is the ad now worth ignoring?

Mac Leod
Old 08-18-2007, 11:56:18 PM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
when i put ads out i usually put the price in as well as or best offer. for example $350.00 or best offer. to me this shows the potential buyer that you are willing to negotiate the price. i also mention i am open to taking a trades instead.

jordan
I agree with this. It means that one is open to discussion for a sale (which is how it should be). Both must be indicated cause otherwise the seller is being wishy washy or is just fishing. My pet peeve is sellers that are unable to discuss arrangements for payment and all the other issues surrounding a sale. We are all just getting way to used to shopping the Walmart way. My second pet peeve is guys who are pushing up the prices by listing ebay pricing on this site by looking for a fast and intense buck and are not open for discussion, but that is for another topic.

Cheers all!
Old 08-19-2007, 08:54:42 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Leod View Post
What about if you do not know the value of an engine, say I am looking to sell my Edwards two cylinder. I do not really know what it is worth---I would post it as "best offer"--- is the ad now worth ignoring?

Mac Leod
What if the best offer you receive is 300 bucks? Are you going to see your engine for that?
I think what everyone is trying to say is that each seller has an idea of what HE would sell his engine for. That doesn't necessarily equate to what it's worth, but just what amount of $$$ it would take to part with the engine. Given that, the seller should post that price, reasonable or not. He may find someone who wants the engine more than he does, and he may not. The end result is that the buyers aren't offended by the "best offer" price tag, and the seller isn't offended by "low-ball offers".

My opinion,
Ratman
Old 08-21-2007, 09:10:36 PM
Registered

I've always wanted the seller to name his price, if its to steep for me, I just let him know that its more then I had in mind, if he wants to still hear my offer he can ask. Best Offer ads, really decrease the chances of selling the item, in my opinion.
Old 08-21-2007, 09:38:57 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineGuru View Post
I've always wanted the seller to name his price, if its to steep for me, I just let him know that its more then I had in mind, if he wants to still hear my offer he can ask. Best Offer ads, really decrease the chances of selling the item, in my opinion.
i agree .best offer is b/s sounds like their fishing to find out what they have is worth,if they truely don't know what it is worth,they can do a ebay search on engine past auctions and find out.or they can post a ad on harry's site say i have such&such engine (post a picture) what is a fair value for this engine beleive me you will get many answers,if all else fails sell it on ebay and let the market deside
Old 08-27-2007, 01:37:42 PM
Registered

While there probably are some exceptions, EVERY "call for price" ad or an ad with no price listed to which I have responded have turned out to be dreamers!

SELLERS TAKE NOTE: As a result, if there is no price listed or at least a "$$$ OBO", I no longer even consider responding to the ad......ANY AD, including a "for sale" sign with only a phone number listed. I even go a step farther.....at a swap meet (like Portland), if a guy does not have prices on his stuff (magic marker is quick and works fine) I move on. I understand that sometimes it is not practical to price individual items because of quantities. In that case, the seller should group similar items together (a crate of old wrenches for example) and post one sign that gives a price range for the items in that crate ($1-$5 for example) so a potential buyer at least has a clue before wasting his time and the sellers time to ask a price!

At Portland this past spring, my dad had his eye on an item and asked the lady for a price. She didn't have a clue and called her husband on the cell phone who was elsewhere on the grounds. Ten minutes later, he shows up and quotes a firm price we were not willing to pay. I felt bad for the seller as we had taken him away from what he was doing and I was upset that we wasted our time that could have been spent looking elsewhere. A posted price would have saved BOTH parties a lot of time!!!!!
Old 08-27-2007, 03:15:07 PM
Subscriber

When I see "best offer", I immediately ignore the ad and move on. The sellers who use "best offer" are just fishing for a sucker -- and wasting everybodies time. When I sell at swap meets or flea markets, I put a pricetag on everything. Am I willing to take less than the pricetag? Usually, I'm willing to negotiate -- but at least I, and the potential buyer, have a starting point for negotiation--and neither of us runs the risk of insulting the other.

But, then again, that's just the way I do business, and I'm just a cranky old guy in Rifton.

Ray Rice
Old 08-27-2007, 03:39:01 PM
Registered

hard to say, on depend with engines or others.. if $400 is as think good price, just try ask mind $350 cash now? it can be worked out fine.
one time I saw engine for sale newly posted on ads here not long ago, I tried email him for where local at how's flywheel etc.. seller never reply. move it on.

sometimes obo isn't bother me, just email/phone and look at it or just pass it.
Old 08-27-2007, 04:57:58 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,970 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Best Offer? (when using classifieds)

My motto when I see an iteam without a price, "If you have to ask, you can't afford it". If they thought it was a good price, they'd tell ya the price up front. Just my 2 cents OBO.