Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines Briggs & Stratton, Clinton, Lauson, Maytag, Nelson, Wisconsin and other small air cooled engines. Sub forums for mowers, scooters and powered eqipment.

Small Air Cooled Gasoline Engines

Briggs and Stratton WMB

this thread has 7 replies and has been viewed 2981 times

Old 05-08-2010, 11:18:37 PM
Registered

Default Briggs and Stratton WMB

Hello, I'm new to small engine restoration, but realy would like to give it a try. I picked up a Briggs 5s on a reel mower the other day. After a carberator cleaning and point adjusting,that little motor purrs like a cat. I think I might be hooked. I have a little Briggs Mod. WMB that came off of a washing machine. I would like to restore it. It looks like all the parts are there except the gas tank. I've read that there is supposed to be a check valve in the fuel line so I guess I'll have to find one before I can get it running. Does any one know where I might find one of these? I downloaded a free manual for my 5s but can't seem to find one for the WMB with the kick start. Does anyone know of a link for a WMB manual? This is my first post and first restore. I think this will be a fun hobby.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2010, 11:27:46 PM
Sky

Default Re: Briggs and stratton WMB

you see check valves all once in a while on ebay. I would recommend going that route becouse you'll pay $40.00 or more for NOS. (New old stock) I cant help on the manual but i will bid you good luck in the smally's hobby. It's a good hobby know but for me it's a hobby im slowly bidding farethy well too. I guess i slipped into the small engine world during the wrong era (and born to late) Beyond anyone's means But 16 years of doing this stuff, im tired of being bled dry by rediculus prices. Thats why my intrest is elsewere BUT, im still in engines. Just a bigger scale. And automotive. More expensive you'd think but you do get a bigger bang for your buck.

Ps. If you have an Atlas 10, so do we
Old 05-08-2010, 11:57:27 PM
Registered

Yes I have an atlas 10in lathe. I'ts the handiest tool I have. I hate to hear that this hobby is so expesive. I think I'll start out small.
Old 05-09-2010, 06:57:04 AM
Registered

I have a B&S WMB that was given to me without the correct fuel tank. I bought a used fuel tank at a show that had the tank fitting which includes the check valve. I got good tank and valve, but they cost me around $40. After sitting for over 30 years under a shop bench, the WMB runs fine with no other parts. Look for a tank with the fuel fitting in place and you will have everything you need, and usually the tanks still have the fitting.
Old 05-09-2010, 01:46:33 PM
Registered

Thanks Tom, I'll keep my eyes open for an Ebay tank. Will the engine not run at all without the check valve?
Old 05-09-2010, 06:49:57 PM
Registered

Default Re: Briggs and Stratton WMB

Welcome to the hobby! My first engine was/is a WI that came from a free reel mower a neighbor gave me when I was a kid. The mower is long gone but that little WI still runs just fine 40+ years later. Yes, I do start it once in while just for fun. In answer to your question, the check valve serves to trap fuel in the pickup to make the engine easier to start. Without it, you have to draw fuel up from the tank every time the engine is started- lot's more time and effort, particularly when the fuel in the tank is kind of low.
Old 05-10-2010, 01:40:40 PM
Registered

So what type of reel mower did the engine come off of?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:16:35 PM
Registered

After all this time I have no clue about the mower itself. All I remember is that the drive to one wheel was worn out and I had to fight to mow a straight line. Would have been great on all those round lawns out there. The engine still has the bright green metalflake Testors model spray paint on the shroud. Looked really cool in 1968, kinda beat up now though. I wish I hadn't thrown away the ID tag so I could tell when it was made. I hate to think of all the neat stuff I destroyed learning how to work on these things when they were everywhere for free! I suppose I'm not the only guy on here who has similiar stories to tell.