Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Serial number collectors or engine collectors?

this thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 3762 times

Old 07-04-2010, 12:04:13 PM
Subscriber

Default Serial number collectors or engine collectors?

Has anyone else noticed when posting engines for sale People ask for more photos and a ser # THEN NEVER RESPOND TO THE EMAIL YOU SEND THEM WITH PHOTOS AND SER # ?? Seems there are more collectors of ser # 's and photos of Engines than Engine Collectors.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tom Gosciminski For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-2010, 12:19:48 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 6,164 Times in 1,823 Posts
Default Re: Ser # collectors or engine collectors ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gosciminski View Post
Seems there are more collectors of serial # 's and photos of Engines than Engine Collectors.
I collect engines, I collect engine serial #s, I collect engine pictures.

Denis Rouleau
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 01:08:05 PM
Subscriber

I guess it's like Harley People ( some only collect T Shirt's and others collect Bikes )
Old 07-04-2010, 01:31:04 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,583 Times in 413 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Gosciminski View Post
Has anyone else noticed when posting engines for sale People ask for more photos and a ser # THEN NEVER RESPOND TO THE EMAIL YOU SEND THEM WITH PHOTOS AND SER # ?? Seems there are more collectors of ser # 's and photos of Engines than Engine Collectors.
Tom,

I think it may be also be cases where people are trying to date engines and gathering serial numbers of advertized engines if a year is listed may be helpful.

I know in my case if someone offered an Ingeco sideshaft for sale I'd be asking for the serial number as I'd like to know more about my own Ingeco.

George
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George Best For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 03:19:30 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 1,268 Times in 327 Posts

It would be nice if people would just list the SN on the first post. Then they wouldn't be aggravated by receiving e-mails asking for the same. As has already been mentioned, the ads are useful as a research tool too.
Keith
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Keith Kinney For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 04:15:06 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Kinney View Post
As has already been mentioned, the ads are useful as a research tool too.
Keith
Did you know some people will flatly refuse to tell what the serial number is on their engines even when asked gently. I have have not figured out why yet but it happened many times.

Denis Rouleau
The Following User Says Thank You to Denis Rouleau For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 04:26:14 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 2,815 Times in 1,128 Posts

I know firearms collectors and sellers aren't quick to hand out serial #'s due to security reasons. Nowadays it's a possibility to make a false police report "My 3hp famous #12345 was stolen and my buddy thinks he saw it for sale on the internet" Do you have receipts for your engine purchases It stinks buts thats the underside of life nowadays. Must be what some people are afraid of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Contaucreek For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 04:57:59 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,252 Times in 1,162 Posts

I never give out serial numbers of my engines, I don't give bills of sale either...I just make notes of the transaction in my little book with the number, size, date. and who I sold it to. always leave footprints and a PRIVATE paper trail.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to David M. Lyon For This Post:
Old 07-04-2010, 11:46:08 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,970 Times in 812 Posts
Default Re: Serial number collectors or engine collectors?

I have 4 serial numbers I'll trade you for one picture.
The Following User Says Thank You to vern0n For This Post:
Old 07-05-2010, 02:09:14 AM

Thanked 6,767 Times in 4,301 Posts
Exclamation Re: Serial number collectors or engine collectors?

many years ago I bought a reel type lawnmower at an auction with an experimental 5-S B&S engine. The mower was shot, so I bolted the engine to a plank and belted it up to a corvair generator, to charge batteries. A few years later, a scumbag kid stole the engine and about $2000 wiorth of tools from my garage A police report was made, along with a description of the tools and the engine S/N. A few months later I went to an advertised garage sale, and lo and behold, there were a lot of my tools and a minibike with a 5-S engine and a busted crank. Sure enough, the S/N checked out, it was mine. I called the cops, and they came, and asked hoow i knew the stuff was mine. I showed them a copy of the police report - ,y tools had my initials engraved into them, and had a painted orange band around them. "how do you know the engine is yours? the kid's father asked, and I showed the cops the receipt from the auction, with the S/M listed. I got about 6-% of the tools back, the other 40% presumably was sold, but no way to prove where it went. i got the engine back too. The kid broke the crank because the engine wouldn't srtart. he had run it out of fuel and put gas in the tank. The engine had been machined and jetted to run on denatured alcohol. The cops made the father pay me for the crank replacement (2 years of searching and $140), or he and the kid would go to jail for 'receiving stolen merchandise'. Now I don't give out S/Ns unless there is a legit reason. positive ID for rngine, or provable need to know - a verified research into manufacture records. I also get receipts for engines sold and bought, with dates and S/N attached. This provides a history trail in case of problems like theft.
Andrew
Old 07-05-2010, 08:08:05 AM
Registered

Had a widow of a engine collector contact me not long after her husband had died . Apparently this guy was saying he had just recently rebought the two engines off her husband just before he died. Her husband would have said to me if he had sold them, plus would have sold them to me as he knew i was looking for those particular engines at that time , and yep he was a genuine collector who always kept his word.. the only thing i could say to her was tell the judge what i had said and provided he didnt have the s# he wouldnt have a leg to stand on , said it would be a good idea to take s# to court with her if it came too that .. The scumbag did take her to court which was 500 miles away and the first thing the judge said was ask the sbag did he have any identity numbers , fortunatly he didnt so the judge ruled in her favour , very lucky , but what a sbag todo this to a woman who had been recently widowed... Becareful guys as the wags we leave behind are real vunerable at the death time..... cheers graeme
The Following User Says Thank You to Graeme.R For This Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 02:49:26 PM
Subscriber

Yes, I'm with Dennis. I collect engines, I collect engine serial #s, I collect engine pictures. Very helpful information.You may not realize until much later how helpful the details may be.
The Following User Says Thank You to Len Spoelman For This Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22:10 PM
Subscriber

I also collect engines, serial numbers and pictures, I use them for identifying other engines and often chime in here when I have something to offer. I grab pictures from here and the internet, they're already out in the public anyways. I will often see engines for sale and ask the seller for more pictures, I tell the seller up front what my intentions are. I did it just this week. I don't often ask about serial numbers unless the engine info will help date other ones, and I won't share the serial number unless the seller doesn't mind. Take a look at Keith Smigle's and Denis Rouleau's web sites for example, what treasure troves they are for the rest of us researching engines. I for one am thankful that people give out the information and that someone takes the time to make it available for us to use. I submit all of my engines and serial numbers to the appropriate registry. It is too bad that a few bad apples misuse the info and ruin the pie for the rest of us.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Walt Beeman For This Post:
Old 07-08-2010, 11:21:34 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,173 Times in 342 Posts
Arrow Re: Serial number collectors or engine collectors?

I have a engine registry on my website for Detroit stationary and marine 2 cycle type engines. Seems as though most of the collectors will not give out their serial numbers. I was thinking one day I might have a enough serial numbers and info to figure out how to date collectors engines by their serial number but at this speed I do know that it will happen in my life time.

http://www.antiquengines.com/Detroit...Works_Menu.htm
Old 07-09-2010, 12:54:01 PM
In Memory Of

Thanked 2,149 Times in 751 Posts

An odd subject, but it does concern some that serial numbers are not available.

On a basic 'For Sale' advert, there is probably little reason to list a serial number for the more common engines, and once you get into the rarer stuff then probably even less reason.

As far as traceability goes, most of our restorations or projects have had a lot of photographs taken at various stages, so it wouldn't be too difficult to prove ownership in the event of a theft.

I have just got in touch with the guy who sold the Ex-Govt trolley that we now have, back in 2006. He had a 20hp Hornsby on it then, which the buyer remounted on something more suitable and then sold the trolley through ebay. I have asked for some pictures of the complete setup to add to those that we already have. He was mightily pleased to hear about what we had done with it.

Peter
Old 07-13-2010, 12:45:50 AM
Registered

Been collecting serial numbers for over 25 years now. The Sandwich & new Idea Registry has Serial Numbers, HP, Mag & State listed. Names & addresses are on file but not availible to the public. Could be useful in case of theft as long as things are kept up dated. Registry at www.oldengine.org/members/sandwich
Ray
Old 07-14-2010, 01:57:09 PM
Registered

I am not understanding the "I would never give out a serial number" and "security" mentality.

The whole security issue boils down to proof of ownership. Our hunks of old iron do not have titles. Therefore, a signed, dated bill of sale with as much info as possible about the item and the seller is your "title" and thus proof of ownership. If a seller would not give me a Bill Of Sale, I would think he is hiding something (item is stolen would be my first thought). My other fear is HE could be the one to make the fake police report, have my money and get his engine back too! What would I have to show for it? Like ListerDiesel stated about pictures as our proof, in this case the seller would have all his pics too! I would have nothing but a heartache and empty wallet.

For anything of value ALWAYS GET A BILL OF SALE!!!!! IT IS YOUR "TITLE"!

As far as the serial number, the more places it exists attached to your name (registries, magazine articles, etc.) the better because it is another thread of evidence that a chunk of iron is yours. My first thought of a seller not willing to give out a serial number is that he has something to hide, item is stolen, etc. and he doesn't want to give me a chance to research it.

I also use them for research, dating items or understanding significant product changes, etc. so I also am thankful to those who publish pics, serial numbers, etc.

Just my take on the whole issue.....

Mark
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to M Schwab For This Post:
Old 07-14-2010, 04:15:40 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Schwab View Post
I am not understanding the "I would never give out a serial number" and "security" mentality. Mark
I completely agree with what you are saying in your post. I could not have said it better myself!

Denis Rouleau