Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Engine Trailer

this thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 1953 times

Old 01-03-2003, 11:12:14 PM
Mike

Default Engine Trailer

Hopefully, hear is a picture of my engine trailer. I tried to post it earlier but PhotoIsland was having techical difficulties. Have loaded up to 3000 lb engines with it. Beam extends past the end of the trailer 4 ft. Mike

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2003, 11:33:28 PM
Randy Hart

Default Re: Engine Trailer

Mike, That sure looks like an iron getter ! And not a bad idea for those skided engines.. Randy Hart Ohio
Old 01-04-2003, 08:46:42 AM
Bill Decker

Have to admit, that is a good idea I know I could have used a setup like that on more then one Occasion
Old 01-04-2003, 09:57:42 AM
Kevin Beitz

Wow.... I just may use you idea....
Old 01-04-2003, 11:32:34 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,924 Times in 1,740 Posts

Mike: Nice idea. Combination "A" & "gantry" frame, and trailer for picking up and hauling old iron. Still need the good old winch for those hard to get places and blocking in the back to prevent the trailer from tiping down when loading up . Paul
Old 01-04-2003, 11:38:35 AM
DANIEL DORECE

I have been using A setup like this for A couple of years now and have discovered one problem. because of the vibration and pounding on the road all the fastener bolts keep loosening up. I have used lock washers, double nutted the bolts and even used two different types of locktite and I still have A couple that loosen up every two or three hundred miles. If any of you build A setup like this just be advised to check this out. I don't need another setup like this that I found laying along side the road.

DAN
Old 01-04-2003, 12:18:27 PM
Mike

Paul, you're right. I use a small hydraulic jack or blocking at the rear of the trailer when lifting a load. Otherwise, the trailer comes down and the engine stays on the ground. I have a small electric hoist that mounts to the front rails of the trailer for pulling on rolling loads. Most of the time it is just easier to lift the smaller engines with the gantry even if they are on trucks. I have used this trailer for about 5 years. The hardened bolt that fastens the beam at the rear has self locking nut with jam nut. The rest have jam nuts. Have not had any trouble with them coming loose in that time. Need to check from time to time. The rear A frame is designed to fold down when the beam is dropped. I run a winch cable over the top of the beam and lower one end at a time. Then the rear folds down on the trailer . Also,serves as my portable hoist moving heavy parts around the place. Mike
Old 01-04-2003, 12:19:57 PM
Monte

Thays how they use to deliver septic tanks.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:23:13 PM
Mike

Another view.

Old 01-04-2003, 08:54:45 PM
Marty

They still deliver the septic tanks using that set-up around here cept the lift is on a flat bed rather than a trailer. I like the trailer set-up much better. You did well Mike.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55:58 PM
David L. Showerman

If loosening remains a problem, try drilling a small hole through each nut and bolt, insert either a split pin, or a cotter pin. Hope this helps. Dave in Holt.
Old 01-05-2003, 01:52:46 AM
Brian Watson

To keep my trailer from tipping when loading a tractor, I welded a couple old bumper jacks on each side with their bases welded on. A couple lynch pins secure the posts from dropping when moving.