Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

Treasure in a Tree

this thread has 947 replies and has been viewed 203440 times

Old 12-05-2014, 02:08:22 PM
Registered

Thanked 1,551 Times in 304 Posts
Default Re: Treasure in a Tree

The notion of having a rifle just outside the door was very common. I have pics of my great grandmother's place in Eastern Montana with a .22 sitting outside the door of the house / shack. I heard that she was pretty good in that she could pick off a bumble bee with it. I suspect that any unknowing varmints didn't stand much of a chance on may farmsteads back then. There was a reaon many a long gun were advertized in nearly all the farming publications in the early 1900's. Great picture, thanks.
Kelly
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelly Barnett For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-2014, 11:27:54 PM
Registered

i just came across this thread.. i'm fairly new in smokestack boards.. if we are telling stories of treasure in trees i have one.
i restore antique motorcycles for a living, been at it for 38 years.. been through all the fads... chrome everything, remove all the chrome, make it look like it rolled off the dealership floor, make it look like it came out of a barn aka "Barn Fresh"
and my all time favorite.. "Make it look like you didn't work on it"
but my best story was a phone call one day customer called me said he found a 1937 harley davidson servicar (trike) and asked if i could restore it.. i said yes... (i've seen bad and seen worse)
so he says.. "It's Rough" ok fine.. a few days later he shows up with a trailer with a canvas over a pile.. i pull the canvas off and here is this 1937 Harley Servicar with a tree stump and trunk growing right through it.. they cut it off at the bottom of the stump i measured the stump it was 18 inch in dia.. the upper trunk portion was 12 inches in dia. i counted the tree rings.. and counted 39 rings.. now how long did it sit there before the maple tree started growing through it i have no idea.
the tree had completely encased the engine and frame and went through what was left of the gas tanks.
so i asked.. why did you bother covering it with a canvas? not like it was going to rust anymore
he told me it took him a week to get it out of the woods.. not only was the tree grown through it. but, it was sitting on it's rear bumper, front wheel up on a stone wall. now.. i want to know that story... on how it got up on the stone wall... lol
did who ever had it all those years ago say... Hey Ya All... watch this!.... lmaooooo
well 18 months and a lot time and money.. it rolled out of my shop to a AMCA meet and took a Jr First.

a side note... there is a motorcycle museum in Newberg NY. on rt32 just outside of town.. underneath their sign is a
1960's Honda Dream with a tree grown through it..
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ul4evr For This Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 12:02:37 PM
Registered

Since we have been talking about Christmas trees, may I ask about Treasure in a Tree? Different tree I know. But, seems like a good time to inquire.
The Following User Says Thank You to DuaTJC For This Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 02:32:07 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 18,190 Times in 4,172 Posts

Duatjc thanks !,

Wel 2014 was an very busy year for the Treasure in the Tree.

Behind the scenes there was and still an lot going on.

Thanks to Rick Mannen with the crew of the Antique Power like Path, and Ed Bezanson her story was brought out in Canada and America.

But this year more country’s started to follow like Australia, New Zealand but also France.
Wel the story in Australia and New Zealand still continude because every two months an new episode of the Treasure in the Tree roles out there.

But for the Jeannotte brothers self the most importand thing was that there family tractor story was also brought out in France.
This year there last wish came out.
On may 2014 the Jeannotte family tractor story was brought out almost under the Eiffle Tower Paris by the magazine "Tracteurs Passion Et Collection"

Jean liked this magazin always very much when Piet gave it to him.

We want to place an very huge thanks for Christian Descombes that he made such an wonderful article and Also John Victor and his magazin crew of the "Oily Rag" in Australia.

Thank you all what you have done for the Jeannottes, family and friends.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0009.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	214668   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0010.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	214669   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0011.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	197.6 KB
ID:	214670   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0012.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	182.0 KB
ID:	214671  

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 12-31-2014 at 03:03:40 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 02:40:54 PM
Subscriber

We are going to say now to all the family and friends of the Jeannottes, The Smokstakers, the people of Canada, America, France, Europe, Australia, New Zealand, Africa,........ Bonne Année, Happy New Year,

Post musical firework on this last old years evening of 2014 for all the viewers taken last summer near the Eiffel Tower in France on quatorze julliet the 14 of july 2014.

Thank you !.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeBJJhBwoiA

Have also an wonderful video of the Eiffel Tower and Paris taken 100 years ago,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUlOWmTFbVY
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan0013.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	210.1 KB
ID:	214672  

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 01-01-2015 at 05:47:23 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-31-2014, 03:46:20 PM
Registered

And Happy New Year to the Brothers Clemens and all the people of Holland and the entire world. May the blessings of God abide upon each one. Looking forward to learning about what has been going on behind the scenes for the great Oil Pull tractor. Will be an exciting time when she will start with the spin of the flywheel and run on her own again
The Following User Says Thank You to DuaTJC For This Post:
Old 01-01-2015, 05:38:19 AM
Subscriber

Duatic,

Well with further up going we have still 2 very important start ups to go.

This wil be the first feet start,
You know to start her up with human power on the flywheel.

And the other one wil be the Olympic Flame Beacon Light human power feet start and drive one start up.............

We have all the ingredients at home for doing this like the materials for bulding the beacon light up on the smokstak of the Rumely.
But also the mica washers for the ignitor to let it run more cleaner.
Only at the moment Henric does not have a lot of time or been at home.
So we have been talked with each other for doing further work on the Rumely more to the spring when the weather is also nicer specialy with the hand an feet start ups.

Keep you and eveybody informed here,
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Brothers Clemens For This Post:
Old 12-31-2015, 05:51:43 AM
Subscriber

Ok pull this op again after an long quiet time because it is time for some updates in this story.

Dit not worket an lot on the Rumely last year.
Last year started very difficult with some difficult personal family things and an very difficult grow up start season mention for more then 3 months we dit not have rain so we had to pull everything out of the grounds by our self,.
then in august an big summer storm came up that dit not have happened sind 100 years and then after an long time we finaly started harvesting and it was mega harvest with almost no end in it.
Arround the begin of november we finaly start to come to an end with harvesting but right after an new big case showed up because in our family an old family flowerbulb farm was closed and had to be made empty.
Have been posted most of this story on Smokstak already in 4 pages.
http://www.smokstak.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152290

So there was not much time to work on the Rumely and now next week there is an snow and frost depression coming on his way towards us by the weather forecast.

Going further with the Jeannotte family Rumely.

We dit change the mica glass from the ignitors but not have test it yet.
Then there is something else to think about.
We have placed the fuel pump on the Rumely how it shoult be when i came from factory.
To start up with this system it is not very reliable because the fuel had to be brought all the way up towards to pump.
This gives some problems when the pump is been standing dry for an while.
We have been looking to other early Rumely Fs in America and they have placed the pump on the most underside possition so that the pump always is having fuel.
No wonders that the Jeannottes change this to there own system with fuel let role in right from above in to the carburetor.
Looking at this we might started to change the system with placing the pump to the undersection and order another chain.

Then some other small discoverys.....

First about the beacon light.
We notice that the Jeannottes coult place the beacon light on 2 possitions.
First it was mostly placed on the right side of the smokstak from steering possition but there are also same connect holes to see on the front of the stak so the beacon light also have been placed in the past on front of the stak.

Then we have discovered an very old book in Canada.
We coult not buy it yet but we know the tittle.
This old thick book tells the storys of the first and early Pioneers of Gravelbourg and Coderre.
We keep our eyes open to find an second one.
There might be some very intresting new information to find about the Jeannotte family.

In the meanwhile the story of the family tractor still continude in Australia and New Zealand in the wonderful tractor magazine called Oily Rag.
John Victor and his magazine crew is doing an wonderful job by telling this story also there.
13 magazines are already writen about it an it continudes in 2016.
Thanks John,

In Canada there is also some very big news about the Jeannotte brothers and this story
On the 2 of october an park was opened near Gravelbourg and the College, University of Gravelbourg carry the name as the Jeannotte park.
An park in memory of Jean, Gerald and the hole Jeannotte Pioneer family.

The opening was done by Marie J.R. Jeannotte and her husband Rod,

http://www.leau-vive.ca/Actualit%C3%...avelbourg.aspx

We are alowed by the family to post this chapter in this thread.
An big salut to all the Jeannottes and what they have done as contribution to the old tractor world.

No better moment to end the Jear 2015 with this chapter in this historical tractor story.

Wish all the viewers an healthy and happy new year.

Clemens Brothers from Holland.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2168.JPG
Views:	126
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	242671   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2176.JPG
Views:	114
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	242672   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2183.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	242673   Click image for larger version

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	149.5 KB
ID:	242674  

Last edited by Brothers Clemens; 12-31-2015 at 06:53:27 AM.