Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® General Discussion > Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows The ins and outs of setting up a show trailer and getting it to and from the engine show. Please be fully aware of our web site Terms of Use Disclaimer as you read. Safety first!

Trucks, Trailers and Hauling for Shows

Sleeper trailer-2

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 2776 times

Old 06-07-2011, 06:25:27 PM
Registered

Default Sleeper trailer-2

With the side metal all stripped off, I can start to re-build the framework of the camper.
The outside front corner post is removed in preparation for extending this corner down to the floor.

The framework for the base of the camper is being made out of treated lumber and has to be put together under the existing camper body.
Here the boards are cut to size and slid under the camper floor.

The base pieces are then fastened together with glue and screws.

Once the base is completed, I then fastened in the corner post that runs from the bottom of the 2x6 for the overhang support, down to the floor base.
All of the framework is being put together with construction glue and screws.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2011, 06:27:29 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sleeper trailer-2

Then I worked on the other front corner.
This side is going to have the larger window in it and the 2x6 that extends back into the camper wall for supporting the overhang is going to be in the way.
When I removed the corner post on this side, I also cut off the 2x6.

I fastened in a 2x6 corner post that runs from the floor base all the way up to the roof frame.
A 2x4 is angled from the top of this 2x6 down to the front of the overhang to give it the support that it needs.

I then went back to the other side and put in the angled support for the overhang.

At this point, the front part of the camper is self supporting so I cut the roof off and separated the complete rear wall section.

Old 06-07-2011, 06:29:31 PM
Registered

Default Re: Sleeper trailer-2

I removed the rest of the old camper shell.
Here is how it looks at the end of work today.

.......... OK, .. now before you get all excited, I have already been asked if it wouldn't have been easier to just start from scratch ? .........

My answer is: Yes, I think it may have been easier to start from scratch.
However, the building ( or in this case ) the tearing apart process was not my main concern.
Overall cost was the first priority. ......

I bought this camper for $100 and sold the camper jacks off it for $82 so my initial investment is $18.
For that $18 I got windows, interior and exterior lights, space heater. water pump ( hand operated ), ice box, port-a-potty, drawers and cabinet doors.
After stripping it down I have the overhang bed area that is all framed in with the metal already on the roof and wrapped around the front.
The back wall is also complete with the door and metal on it.

If I had started from scratch, I would have had to buy all the items listed above.

Ray
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JDcrawler For This Post: