Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

fire extinguishers

this thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 2095 times

Old 05-17-2003, 08:37:44 PM
Chan Mason

Default fire extinguishers

Probably everybody knows this, but anyway: you should at all times have a working up-to-date A-B-C fire extinguisher (I always have a couple nearby) in ALL your vehicles, near any engine(s) you are exhibiting, running, or working on. And one in the shop (i.e, wherever you work on your engines). AND know how to use it ! You won't need one very often, but when you do, you will REALLY need it, and be very glad you had one at hand. BTW----in addition to checking the little needle on top of the fire ex. (should be in the green, of course), you can also tell if one is good by tilting the ex. slowly back and forth, and if it's ok you can feel the powder sliding back and forth inside as you tilt it (ask any fireman if you're confused). I have had perhaps a dozen times in my life that I needed one (or more like, someone ELSE needed one, and I was there). Saved about six cars, three trucks, one motorcycle, and two gas engines. Like they say: an ounce of prevention (read: a $10 extinguisher) is worth a pound of cure (read: a $10K pickup). BETTER SAFE THAN $ORRY !
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2003, 09:07:59 PM
Tracy Schroeder

Default Re: fire extinguishers

Chan you are posting some great advise! I am on a volunteer fire department, and thought I would add my 2 cents. Everybody should take their ABC fire extinguishers off the wall or floor and tip them up side down at least once a year because the powder will settle to the bottom and compact. This is a BAD thing to happen when you need your extinguisher the most! FAST!!!! Thanks Harry for this site.
Old 05-17-2003, 10:22:42 PM
Doug Wilson

While they are upsidedown , give 'em a love tap with your rubber mallet , just to ensure a good re-fluffing. Doug.
Old 05-18-2003, 08:15:01 AM
Mike in NC

Chan,

You bring up a great point at the start of show season. I ALWAYS take an extinguisher to all shows with me. I have two in the shop ready at all times. The few dollers they cost is well worth it. Everyone have a great and safe show season.
Old 05-19-2003, 12:22:02 PM
John Glowacki

How many years is your average cheap-o fire extinguisher good for unused? I understand it isn't too many. The cheap valves leak out over time, and the cheap pressure gauge isn't too much better.
Old 05-19-2003, 08:59:55 PM
Ed Deis

Just want you gents to know I appreciate any safety related thread. We can all use a reminder now and than. I have the fire extinguishers here at Hit & Miss professionally checked and serviced every year and even though we're out in the boon-docks and probably would never be bothered by "big brother" we pratice "safety first" and I doubt if an inspector could find much wrong here (except the big fat beagle laying in the aisleway). Don't take safety lightly friends. Ed
Old 05-20-2003, 02:39:12 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,926 Times in 1,741 Posts

I have a few in the shop and out buildings and "ALWAYS" take one with me to the shows when I'm displaying. Had mine with me at Jacktown.com on Saturday. Don't think I saw another one Better safe than sorry . Paul
Old 05-20-2003, 06:37:37 AM
Leonard Keifer

Whether they enforce it or not a lot of shows have a policy that exhibiters have to have an extinguisher. I've never needed one at a show but have had to use one when the little propane torch my son was using decided to light up where it shouldn't be lit.
Old 05-21-2003, 10:36:33 PM
David Bacon

If you want to double the fire fighting ability of your extinguisher simply read the directions---------Aim at the base and give short squirts---Not easy to do when in a panic attract, but this a very big mistake often made. When you buy a extinguisher avoid plastic neck as not to many folks will refill them. Dave NE Iowa
Old 05-22-2003, 09:35:57 PM
Kevin Beitz

Man thay can be tough... I hit on the other day with a large forklift truck... I hit an I-Beam... The extinusher was between the beam and the lift truck... I hit it hard and fast... It was egg shaped after I hit it but still was charged and ready to go... They make a good buffer...