Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

My New Wallis!

this thread has 155 replies and has been viewed 28268 times

Old 12-02-2011, 02:33:04 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,636 Times in 7,479 Posts
Default Re: My New Wallis!

Thanks Tony.
I sprayed Wally down with "KEMO" today (half n' half kero and motor oil) and it brought the colours up fairly well. Wheels are red as is hood. The rest is a light grey. I wouldn't think they are original although the Massey-Harris lettering on the hood looks pretty honest and true.
RM.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2011, 05:03:04 PM
Registered

Hello Mr. Willikers,

Welcome to the wonderful world of Wallis! That sure is a decent looking 20-30 you've picked up there - nice and complete by the looks of it. The rad looks almost new!

I have a little bit of experience with these machines so I'll try to help you if I can. One of the worst things I've found on Wallis tractors is the rear axle bearings. The lubrication system was poor and the outer bearings are often bad. Changing the bearings is pretty easy but getting those rear wheels off can be a real hassle. They have a very slight mounting taper that seizes onto the axle like nobody's business. It's a very good thing if you don't have to remove the rear wheels.

Another thing that goes bad on these tractors is the clutch system and/or transmission input shaft. The clutch uses a key instead of a spline on the input shaft and it's usually worn pretty bad. Most of the Wallis's I've worked on have had this problem. The bevel gear on the end of this shaft is often in bad condition as well - exactly the same problem as Tony Thompsons Twin City 27-44 input shaft.

As mentioned the valve train on these machines was a little light but the good news is that the rocker shafts can be replaced with some commonly available TGP shafting and the bushings are available at your local bearing supplier.

Anyway, I have a bunch of parts for this tractor so let me know what you need and I can probably help out some. I'm 99% sure I have a good front axle casting if you need one. I also have several workable pistons and sleeves, heads, a good crankshaft, and a bunch of other stuff. I even have an assembled engine tucked away in my garage. I'm sure my wife would be very happy if you could take some of these spares off of my hands! :-)

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant Weir For This Post:
Old 12-02-2011, 05:16:25 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Grant - private message coming your way!
Old 12-02-2011, 11:56:23 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,709 Times in 604 Posts

Here's a Massey-Wallis I saw at the Portland Show in 2009, the day after I won my MD 10-20 at Onkel G's Uncle H's Auction. Love the dualies on this one. Can't remember the owners name, very pleasant fellow.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massey-Wallis-1.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	94.8 KB
ID:	122271   Click image for larger version

Name:	massey-wallis-2.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	122272  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to SDP For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 07:51:07 AM
Sponsor

Chatted with a friend Russ Reeve about this tractor. He is just short of 90 years old and worked in the tractor repair trade through the area where the tractor came from all his life. One of the finest men you will ever meet - anywhere, anytime!
Oh yes, he said he remembered that old girl and he told me the exact farm where it worked although he couldn't say whether that family had bought it new. This was just west of Galt (present day Cambridge, Ontario). He said he had seen it working in the fields there many times.
He said in 1961, he was working for the Massey dealer who was just south of Galt, a chap named Bob Brown. There were a couple of local events coming up, the Galt Fair and a local ploughing match. Mr. Brown asked him to go out and pick up the old Wallis. The old girl evidently had sat for a few years as the family had got a Co-op tractor after the war and it had done most of the work since.
They put the Wallis in the shop and had to pull the carb off and do a bit of work on it and it didn't take long to have her running and they took it to these local events and returned it to the farm where it sat until the chap I got it from recovered it.
Nice to get a bit of history on it.
RM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 08:35:10 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Thanks Grant - private message coming your way!
does this mean your coming to visit onkle g.theres a bed for rent here lol
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Walter Neumann jr For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 10:20:28 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 5,975 Times in 2,456 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Chatted with a friend Russ Reeve about this tractor. He is just short of 90 years old and worked in the tractor repair trade through the area where the tractor came from all his life. One of the finest men you will ever meet - anywhere, anytime!
Oh yes, he said he remembered that old girl and he told me the exact farm where it worked although he couldn't say whether that family had bought it new. This was just west of Galt (present day Cambridge, Ontario). He said he had seen it working in the fields there many times.
He said in 1961, he was working for the Massey dealer who was just south of Galt, a chap named Bob Brown. There were a couple of local events coming up, the Galt Fair and a local ploughing match. Mr. Brown asked him to go out and pick up the old Wallis. The old girl evidently had sat for a few years as the family had got a Co-op tractor after the war and it had done most of the work since.
They put the Wallis in the shop and had to pull the carb off and do a bit of work on it and it didn't take long to have her running and they took it to these local events and returned it to the farm where it sat until the chap I got it from recovered it.
Nice to get a bit of history on it.
RM.

very nice to see it has some local history and has been kept local and now with you having it is not far from were it actully did come from again congarts rick on getting the tractor.John
The Following User Says Thank You to casertractor For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 05:07:31 PM
Sponsor

Nice today so opened her up a bit. Four stuck valves, engine bearings look fine, seems to be stuck on #4 cylinder as there is a bit of wiggle starting! Took the bottom off the oil pump as per TSeaberg's instructions in an earlier post - a fair bit of water came out, likely from condensation but the pump gears were good and the shaft free.
I think she's a keeper!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wallis13.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	122305   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallis14.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	122306   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallis15.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	122307   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallis16.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	122308  
Old 12-03-2011, 08:37:37 PM
Email NOT Working

Really nice looking tractor G! good luck with it!
The Following User Says Thank You to rumely fan For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 08:58:14 PM
Sponsor

Somewhat off topic, but in my chat with Russ the other day, he told me a couple of other interesting stories.
In 1995, the International Plowing Match (IPM) was held near the town of Ayr in Waterloo County. The IPM is held in mid September and moves around Ontario to a different county every year.
There is a family in the area that has a 1938 Case, Model C tractor. The chap bought it new the same day as one of their sons was born so it is a real family keepsake. It had sat for years and when the IPM was coming, they asked Russ if he'd fix it up for them, which he did. I remember seeing it at his shop and it was a very nice tractor.
After the show, it went back in the shed and never ran again, although the owner turned it over regularly. Well the IPM is coming back to Waterloo County in 2012 and they asked Russ to get it going for them again! He said he was over there recently and got the tractor running again and ready for next year's show! rare today when a 70+ year old tractor is still on the same farm. Actually, the show will not be too far from where this Wallis worked so it probably should go as well!
Another story he told me was when he restored a 30-60 E Rumely for a local collector - this must have been in the early 70s? This is the E that fellow Stakker Ross Clarke runs at shows here. It came from North Dakota in the 1960s. Russ said that after he got the motor back together he thought he'd belt up his old Massey Pacemaker and run the Rumely motor in for a while. After a while of this and everything seemed a-ok and with the Pacemaker still cranking her over, he thought he'd see if the ol' E would start. Sure enough, it lit right up! He said he was so pleased and fiddled with the E to get her settled in and running nice and forgot about the Pacemaker still belted up - until he started hearing some funny sounds. The big pulley on the E was now cranking the ol' Pacemaker at well beyond factory specs and she was pulling air through the breather like a turbo! Anyway, he got her shut down and no lasting harm was done. And the E is still running fine!
RM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 09:59:21 PM

Thanked 20,666 Times in 5,984 Posts
Red face Re: My New Wallis!

G.......you really ought to sweep the dirt off the floor in your shop........
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Craig A For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 11:05:04 PM
Sponsor

I raked it special, just for the pictures!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-03-2011, 11:32:55 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Those conicle beehive valve springs kill me,
I got a full set of those springs, keepers, valves, and copper head gasket...all N.O.S. from Tom Underwood for my Plow Works 20-30. I am buisy with TC stuff now, but I will get back to my Wallis one day.
Keep us posted on your project Uncle G!
Tony
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 12:33:41 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Tony,
I noticed that too, as they are all the current rage on modern high performance motors for their resistance to float at high RPM. Made me smile to see them in a tractor of that age.

G, that's one I would love to see running again. A TC twin cam and Wallis are on my bucket list for "someday I will own one". Very nice example of an original tractor.

Corey
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 03:21:43 PM
Sponsor

Well, the Wallis is now unstuck!
Took the head off this morning. The mice had been in there of course and got through the open valve on #2 cylinder. There was a good bunch of nest material, corn and assorted other crap including piss. #1 and #4 were stuck a little too. They had been soaking in WD-40 for several days and with the head off and a few thumps with a hammer on a wood block they started to loosen. Nothing like that feeling when that first little movement comes on the crank! After a few carefull moves there was a solid snap!!!!! But that was just the impulse couping for the mag tripping! It is not on the mag but is inside the governor housing! The cylinders look fine save for some minor piss marks!
A couple of the exhaust valves look a little iffy but time will tell. I like how the manifolds, air cleaner, etc all come off so easily. Two big clamps hold the manifolds on, no studs to sieze and bust ears off!
Kingston L carb seems in excellent shape. It has cork float that looks very solid. Does anyone have close-up photos showing the throttle linkage? This just had the governor hook-up and there is anther rod coming from the back but with nothing there to hook to?
It is really nice to be back working on gas tractors. Nothing does the heart better than to have a Bosch magneto all apart on the kitchen counter!
RM.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:09:30 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Hi Rick, good to hear you got your Wallis loose.
When you had the head off did you happen to see any of these being used still?

Also about your throttle linkage, i'm not really shure which linkage you are looking for but here are a couple pictures hopefully it will help but if you need another picture i'm shure I have it. my Wallis Tractor picture folder is up to just over 5700 images.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 09:11:32 PM
Registered

here is one more picture showing the other side.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-05-2011, 10:20:12 PM
Sponsor

TSeaberg,
Sorry, I didn't pay much attention to the head and the valves after it was removed. It will likely be next on the list.
The attached pix hopefully show the rod I am wondering about. It comes from the platform area (and is attached to a control lever/quadrant) to just at the carb and there is a little lever still there attached to nothing. The carb only has the one butterfly rather than two as in some Kingston systems and this was connected to the governor linkage.
Also, there is a copper line from above the carb running up and into the intake manifold. Again, I haven't had a good look at this but the lower fitting says patent pending on it. Not sure what this is unless it is an extra gas "circuit" for idle? (Seen in your picture above as well) I didn't have the camera there today but will try to get pix of more of this another day.
This little tractor has a lot of neat features on it and it gets more interesting the further you go!
RM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	wallis18.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	122525   Click image for larger version

Name:	wallis17b.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	122526  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 12:02:15 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,677 Times in 1,153 Posts

Rick; That rod with the little lever is missing the link that connects it with the choke lever on the carb inlet. It goes from the little lever on the shaft into the curved slot on the carb choke lever. It has a few odd bends in it to keep it on this slot and will allow the choke rod to the front of the rad to be used without disturbing the rest of the linkage.

The copper tube is part of the water injection system for use with kerosene. My running 12-20 has all of this intact and I can take some pics tomorrow and post them.
Here is one from my file that may show what I mean
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Massey 12-20 011.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	122535  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Phil Johnson For This Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 01:10:18 AM
Registered

here is a picture to show the manifold side. this tractor is an older 15-27 but basically all the same routing. this tractor is owned by John Plank and in my opinion is the nicest 15-27 I have ever seen restored.

Also in this picture shows the routing for the rod from the platform to run the exhaust damper, and the water injection lines. the bracket coming off the fender brace was changed on the newer models to hold both of the rods like yours so there is a difference there but goes from the top hole in the quadrant on the plaform to an arm on the exhaust elbow that looks like it is missing on your 20-30. (just about all of them are!)

One more thing to add that I forgot about, on the newer 20-30's they added a small drain on the water line, it bolted onto the side of the frame , and had a 1/8" plug so you could drain the water on those cold northern nights.