Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

My New Wallis!

this thread has 155 replies and has been viewed 28264 times

Old 12-06-2011, 09:14:55 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,628 Times in 7,475 Posts
Default Re: My New Wallis!

Thanks guys, now it makes sense!
The exhaust damper has the short handle broken off on this one and there is no rod for it back to the "cab".
Sponsored Links
Old 12-06-2011, 11:58:17 AM
Registered

Rick,

I am very pleased to hear you are appreciating the quality in this old and very often under estimated Wallis / Massey Harris 20-30, they were well ahead of their time in engine design of that era. I am sure you will enjoy bringing the old girl back to life and giving her a good home (even if it has a dirt floor).

Guess your old Sawyer Massey roots are showing again as the 15-27 Wallis was sold by S-M in Western Canada, we have two examples over here with signs of the original S-M lettering.

Good luck and keep us posted of progress, we want to know when you hear that first bark from the exhaust and please don't paint it, just oil her down and leave her, a real good original local find.

Malcolm.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Malcolm Robinson For This Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 02:29:46 PM
Sponsor

Malcolm,
Interested in the Sawyer-Massey connection. I had never heard that or perhaps have forgotten. Wallis/Case Plow Works products were also sold in Western Canada (and maybe in the East too?) by the Canadian-Fairbanks-Morse Co.. That was after they quit building their own tractors. There seem to be no other markings on this other than M-H.
No decisions yet on paint or not to paint. It depends on how it cleans up. Not sure if what's on it is original?
By the way, the floor is mainly good, Paris, Ontario aggregate - history of another kind and left over from the glacier age. Some of which I wheel-barrowed in myself!The cemented part is covered with other tractors!
Aloha,
RM.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:06:44 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

The Wallis tractors have always been one of my favorites since growing up driving Dads around on Grandpa's farm quite often after mowing the lawn for him.

Very easy to start, and always a good runner.

Always good to see another one.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:37:20 PM

Thanked 20,663 Times in 5,983 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSeaberg View Post
That looks identical to the setup on the Oliver Hart Parr 18-28.
I had one at one time.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:07:20 PM
Registered

Hi Rick,

I notice your tractor has more than a bit o' red paint on it as well as the usual gray. I have seen quite a few "Massey" Wallis's painted with red and yellow out in this neck of the woods, but always with the gray and red underneath. It's my personal theory that perhaps dealers took them back in on trades or whatever and repainted them in Massey colors for resale - maybe after a rebuild or "fixup". This might explain some of the green Wallis's out there too (ie: Pacemaker colors), although some of those appear to have been painted that way from factory.

I have not yet seen a Wallis in red that looked like it was painted that way at the factory. Like so many different tractors out there... nobody knows for sure!

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada

---------- Post added at 06:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 PM ----------

Opps... I meant green like "Challenger" colors. :-)

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
The Following User Says Thank You to Grant Weir For This Post:
Old 12-06-2011, 08:34:06 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 7,886 Times in 3,750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Weir View Post
... This might explain some of the green Wallis's out there too (ie: Pacemaker colors), although some of those appear to have been painted that way from factory.

Opps... I meant green like "Challenger" colors.
Slightly off subject, but my Grandpa's Challenger was RED...
Old 12-07-2011, 11:37:57 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Malcolm,
Interested in the Sawyer-Massey connection. I had never heard that or perhaps have forgotten.
RM.
Rick,

It will be interesting to discuss this again on here to see if anyone has furthered their knowledge since we thrashed it around a long time ago on here.

Several years ago from literature and old ads I have for the Wallis 15-27 I found that S-M were advertising the Wallis 15-27 in the mid 20's as a light weight tractor in Western Canada only, I presume this was a replacement option for the discontinued S-M gas tractor line?
I talked to many people both sides of the pond about this 25 or so years ago and no one knew anything of it, then about 15 years ago a dealer here imported a blue Wallis 15-27 from Western Canada, it ended up in an auction sale here and bought by a well known Massey Collector in Norfolk, when I saw the tractor it immediately answered my question, along the hood top flats each side in large yellow letters "Sawyer - Massey" and after looking hard and cleaning, the circular S-M decal was found on the front forward facing curve of each fender. More recently another one has come into UK and it also shows signs of the circular S-M decals on the fender together with the evidence of the unusal orange colour S-M paint discussed on the S-M "Little Casterton" thread a whilke ago.

So hope some ene else can add more to this connection.

Hopefully David Parfitt or Tom Seaberg will post some photo's of these two for you to see Rick.

Malcolm.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Malcolm Robinson For This Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 01:58:44 PM
Registered

Thanked 3,628 Times in 722 Posts

Here are some photos of the Wallis owned by the Norfolk collector that Malcolm mentioned.

(This is probably a good place to plug my newly-overhauled Wallis page too - see http://www.steel-wheels.net/wallis.html Drop me an email if you spot any mistakes, or if you think there is anything I should add.)

All the best

David

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to David Parfitt For This Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 03:23:59 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Rick,
I also owned an early Wallis 15-27 sometimes refered to as an OK model. Mine was older than the blue one just posted here. Serial number put it in the 1923 area? It was old enough to have front steering and not a box on the side. It was painted Battle Ship gray and came from south Ia. It did not take much effort to find lots of medium-dark blue all over it as well as the rounded SM logo under the BS gray. one of the former owners said it came from up north.
I sold it to gather funds for my TC purchase and resto and have now lost track of it.
I see the one in the last photo has a Canadian manifold and carb set sold up there by Robin.
Tony

Last edited by Tony Thompson; 12-07-2011 at 03:26:12 PM. Reason: add more info
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 05:41:50 PM
Sponsor

Vewy, vewy intawesting!
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24:22 PM
Subscriber

For any of you folks viewing this thread I am collecting Wallis serial numbers to help us zero in on start and stop of each model. Please review the information I put on post number 20 on page one to see oldest and newest numbers I have so far.
As you can see I am closing in on the stop of Plow Works 20-30 and start of MH-Waliis 20-30...it has taken many years to do this!
Thanks for any help

Did you folks know that Wallis used a water governor on lots of the older tractors? A flexible bladder would shrink one way and swell the other depending on engine rpm and more or less movement of the circulating coolant. This bladder flexing would move an arm and linkage hooked to the throttle.

Somewhere in the Winnipeg tractor trials it said...The Canadian Fairbanks Morse Co. sold Wallis tractors in 1918. A picture of the three wheel Cub Jr. was pictured with that statement. (Antique Power march/april 2007 I think)

Since no one else brought it up yet, I will mention the rule of 471 also. ALL Wallis K and newer MH wallis designs with the rolled boiler plate frame came from the factory with the chassis number being 471 digits more than the engine.
G, check your engine number, I can already tell you it is 62682 unless someone swapped it out due to flying rod syndrome.
Tony

Last edited by Tony Thompson; 12-08-2011 at 04:12:24 PM. Reason: undiagnosed mental disorder prevents correct spelling!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 09:10:33 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,705 Times in 603 Posts

I smell another article in AP cooking down the road!
The Following User Says Thank You to SDP For This Post:
Old 12-07-2011, 11:04:43 PM
Sponsor

Yes, Tony does great articles and on both sides of the pond!
Where is the motor number usually Tony?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:32:07 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Hi Rick, the engine number is always on the late 20-30's on the carb side of the engine block towards the front right behind the cam timing cover.
Also the older wallis like the K were on the mag side.

Tony your old Wallis OK that got sold is in Ireland. #23984

The 471 difference Has to be credited to Ervin Chew, he was the first one that I know of to notice a resemblance between the engine and serial numbers. the 471 rule though does NOT work on all of the wallis tractors. the cub jr's and before were stamped the same between engine and serial number. Again we do not know when they stopped for shure but it is some where between the end of the cub jr run and maybe the k-3's and possibly on the k-4's. nobody knows when they started and nobody know's why they did such a thing.

---------- Post added at 09:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Here is a picture of the manifold side of our OK Wallis. I tried to paint a white circle on the picture showing where the block number is. its there just hard to see!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 12:50:10 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post
Since no one else brought it up yet, I will mention the rule of 471 also. ALL Wallis and MH wallis designs with the rolled boiler plate frame came from the factory with the chassis number being 471 digits more than the engine.
G, check your engine number, I can already tell you it is 62682 unless someone swapped it out due to flying rod syndrome.
Tony
Number on motor - 62682
Old 12-08-2011, 03:16:28 PM
Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post
Yes, Tony does great articles and on both sides of the pond!
Where is the motor number usually Tony?

UH,...Rick,
I am sure he was refering to you
I only write occasionally in hopes of teaching my self how to spell
Tony
The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:33:40 PM
Registered

Hi Tom. Say, I don't think I've ever seen an exhaust manifold like the one on your OK. Is it an oddball of some kind or am I ? :-)

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
Old 12-08-2011, 06:11:52 PM
One Millionth Post

Thanked 6,048 Times in 3,103 Posts

TSeaburg, I love the sheet metal work in your photos, especially the fan shroud. It's beautiful,if
I may ask who does your metal work? We have a few projects that are in need of tanks and fan shrouds. F.J.W.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16:14 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant Weir View Post
Hi Tom. Say, I don't think I've ever seen an exhaust manifold like the one on your OK. Is it an oddball of some kind or am I ? :-)

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
That is the standard manifold for the Wallis OK. The manifold is actually very complex. there is two compartments. one for the exhaust of course and then another on top for intake air. the two screens cover where the two inlets. are. the round one in the back is actually also a rotary valve that allows the operator to control how much "cool" or warm air is used. the air cleaner bolts right onto the manifold to clean the air. since this manifold was used only on the wallis OK. they are fairly tough to find in good shape. there were several other versions of manifolds like this used on the newer K's. those used a bennett air cleaner mounted under the hood in front. If Jan Brinkman has some time to post a picture his Cub Jr. has a nice example or with his permission I have a decent picture of it.

Also about the sheet metal it is all made by Ervin Chew in Indiana. He has made lots of parts for the Wallis and early Massey Harris tractors. also in the picture the exhaust elbow was also made by Ervin.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post: