Antique Tractors
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Old Iron and Tractor Community > Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats Photos and information about antique steel wheeled farm tractors. This is where to find the heaviest of Old Iron tractors.

Antique Steel Wheel Tractors - Old Iron Lugs and Cleats

My New Wallis!

this thread has 155 replies and has been viewed 28272 times

Old 12-11-2011, 04:19:19 PM
Sponsor

Thanked 29,643 Times in 7,481 Posts
Default Re: My New Wallis!

The dangers of having mice get inside a tractor motor have been discussed recently on another thread. The mice were definitely inside this Wallis but luckily it hasn't sat all that long for them to have done any lasting damage. But thay are just plain nasty little buggers.
Number two exhaust valve was open so they had got through there and had a dandy assorment of nesting material and other corruption on top of the piston which was about half way down and stuck.
All the exhaust valves were stuck thanks to the rodents! All but one came out fairly easily after some soaking and light tapping. But number three was a tough case. It was closed and they had nested down in the chamber and there was a solid mass of crud on top of the valve seat. It took a lot more soaking, some gentle heat and a lot of gentle tapping ( and some less than gentle tapping!). But it came out and was not a mess. I think all of the valves will clean up with some lapping compound!
Damned rodents!
Oh, the valves in this one have the Wallis markings as in TSeaberg's post #36.
RM.

---------- Post added at 03:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:17 PM ----------

Oh? Does anyone have a Victor number for the head gasket?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Sponsored Links
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39:16 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 1,280 Times in 912 Posts

Excellent news G! She'll be purring away in no time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Brasherman For This Post:
Old 12-11-2011, 11:55:46 PM
Sponsor

Probably not - not much for heat there and there won't be many more decent days like today.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:21:22 AM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Hi Rick, good to hear your Wallis is progressing! those wallis valves are a neat piece for shure. I removed a full set from a wallis k head a few years back when we rebuilt ours. I have recently come across a head with a set of <M-H> valves just like these.

also on the head gasket I do not know the Victor number, but I have used several Olsen Gasket head gaskets and they work great as a replacement as I am shure you know. all of the K through 20-30 head gaskets are the same.

And for spark plugs as you are getting close to that point Auto-lite 3077 work good.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-12-2011, 11:18:36 AM
Registered

Great to see another Wallis brought back to life keep the pictures coming.
Tom, go ahead and post any pictures that will help out.
Jan
Old 12-15-2011, 06:23:57 PM
Registered

Saw the new Wallis a few days ago for the first time, and really is an beautiful find!
Can't wait to learn all about it
The Following User Says Thank You to elitesteamgirl For This Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 05:57:20 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitesteamgirl View Post
Saw the new Wallis a few days ago for the first time, and really is an beautiful find!
Can't wait to learn all about it
Yes but? If only you stayed home long enough to help work on it!

This thing gets more interesting every time you look at it! Ripped into the carb/intake/pre heater assembly today. It really is something and I have personally never seen anything like it.
- 1st pic shows everything assembled. No throttle butterfly in carb but it is in the intake assy. The brass item above the carb was what I was asking about earlier in this thread. It has "patent pending" cast in it and is part of the water feed system for when burning kerosene.
- 2nd pic shows just intake heater. Copper line goes to intake manifold for water feed.
- 3rd pic shows that water feed unit. Slotted disc goes on top if spring in throttle body. It is notched on other side to turn with butterfly. That causes it to line up or not line up with holes in the main brass "patent pending" unit. I assume then that this is meant to automatically adjust the water feed according to the load and opening of the butterfly!??!
- 4th pic is looking down at the throttle shaft and the slotted drive that turns the little disc.
More to come ------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	carb2.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	123289   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb3.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	123290   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb5.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	123291   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb6.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	123292  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 06:09:45 PM
Sponsor

1st pic shows intake heater assy apart - the guts look like a little boiler with little tubes rolled in for the air to pass through! You can divert hot air in here from the exhaust.
2nd pic is much the same. The remains of the hickory nut was left by a thoughtfull little mouse along with a selection of other nesting materials!
3rd pic looks down from where manifold attaches to see the little tubes.
4th pic shows opposite side of tubes, etc..

Is it just me, or are all these old tractors just so damn interesting? Someone should start a nice positive thread about the joys of collecting gas tractors!
It is very interesting how different companies tried different things. There is a patent date 9-17 on the intake body. Is this a Kingston patent or Wallis?
RM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	carb7.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	123293   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb8.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	123294   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb9.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	123295   Click image for larger version

Name:	carb10.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	123296  
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-17-2011, 08:00:43 PM
Subscriber

Unca G, better not let any of them fancy parts get too close to that plate. Things seem to be dissappearing at an amazing rate.

Last edited by Rob Repko; 12-17-2011 at 08:02:23 PM. Reason: speling
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Repko For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 02:53:18 AM
Sponsor

Thanked 3,681 Times in 1,155 Posts

I was thinking the same! Or maybe that mouse is still around there!! Something is sure gettin' the cookies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Phil Johnson For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 10:05:24 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Willikers View Post

Is it just me, or are all these old tractors just so damn interesting? Someone should start a nice positive thread about the joys of collecting gas tractors!
It is very interesting how different companies tried different things. There is a patent date 9-17 on the intake body. Is this a Kingston patent or Wallis?
RM

Rick,
Nice of you to join us in saving some of these great old tractors...Not hard to see why the steel wheeled section of Smokstak is so fascinating with large readership! The history of the many really well designed tractors is simply amazing. There are a dozen defferent tractor makes that are works of art given the time frame of manufacture. I have a Wallis in my collection because when carefully examined they really do stand out with several technologicaly advanced features.
A gentalman named John Rodgers patented the vaporizer you are injoying so much. Yours appears to be in very good form...many of these units did not take well to being used hard under high heat and then left to the womanly elements of mother nature.
Here is a rare peak at an earlier version of the fuel vaporizer that evolved into the one on your late Wallis.
I too enjoy small early gas tractors very much for many reasons that continue to be covered here in great detail by dedicated iron hounds like yourself.
Thanks for posting a fun thread.
Tony
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vaporizeronokwallis.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	123347  
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Tony Thompson For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 02:52:48 PM
Registered

Rick,

Your are right on the money when you guessed about the water valve. It's supposed to meter "x" amount of water depending on the throttle setting. More throttle = more water. It's a neat idea but I've never read any old stories about how wonderful it worked or how much money it saved people so I would guess that it was a better idea in theory than it was in practice. Still, it is very cool and it's the only system I know of that puts the throttle on the manifold as opposed the the carb itself. I'm sure there are others but it's not very common.

I'm supposed to be running out to the farm before Christmas so I'll see if I can pull that front axle casting for you. If I don't give it to you the scrappers will steal it anyway....
It's still really warm here and there is little snow so it should be a go.

Grant Weir
Saskatoon, SK.
Canada
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grant Weir For This Post:
Old 12-18-2011, 03:08:32 PM
Sponsor

Thanks Grant and Tony.
It is interesting to conjecture how well that water system worked? I am wondering if you would actually get enough water on a very heavy load? But with the air heater system the kerosene/distillate has to pass through enough obstacles that it should be well warmed and well atomized so maybe a lot of water was not needed? Will just have to get a plough behind her and find out!??!
Different tractors used different ideas. The GS&M Beaver with the Waukesha motor simply ran the water into the intake manifold and you controlled it with a thumb-wheel in the "cab". But that Waukesha is a hot runner anyway so it should have no problem burning kero!
I am not sure how the GS&M Ideal worked as we never had much of that system to go by. But the carb bowls were cored for a passage all around the base of the bowl for hot water off the motor. Trouble is, that big opposed motor never seems to get too hot in a hurry. The Eagle has a separate set up behind the carb with a float for metering the water and it is drawn up through the throat of the carb. I used to burn kero in her but never worked her hard enough on it to need water.
Didn't take the camera (or the Christmas treats) to the shop this morning but had the air cleaner all apart. Somebody's horse gave up a lot of its mane to make the filter - looks like it was a sorrel!
RM.
The Following User Says Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 12:06:14 PM
Registered

Thanked 2,744 Times in 281 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Thompson View Post

Had a chance to dig out some of my old hand written files on Wallis stuff to get you some numbers. In an effort to stop the correct police from jumping all over me I will use words like "around" or "about" when offering my poorly spelled record keeping.
For 1927 and 1928 the rating jumps to 20-30 (plow works 20-30) with serial numbers starting at 52000. The oldest one I have recorded is 52262 and the newest is 56196.
Massey Harris buys the Racine Wi. Plow Works factory in late 1928 and continues the 20-30 with a few changes and some different parts suppliers. The Massey-Wallis 20-30 appear to run from 1929 into 1933 with the oldest number I have recorded 56635 to the newest I have at 68654.

Let us know what you fid out on yours G, and thanks for the great pictures!
Tony
Hey Tony, I have a little update for your list. #56196 is a Massey built tractor, not a plow works.

Also then since 56196 is now not a plow works, the newest plow works tractor I have heard of is 55867. this one was posted here on smokstak and I have not personally seen a picture of the tag to see for shure. I do know for shure that 55669 is a plow works.
The Following User Says Thank You to TSeaberg For This Post:
Old 12-19-2011, 04:06:19 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 8,201 Times in 1,344 Posts

Tom,
Someone told me that last number like you just did, It was not confermed by me. Knowing that you are a detail oriented person and have studied Wallis hard I would surely believe you.
With 55867 being the newest plow works and 56196 the oldest MH Wallis we have only 329 tractor numbers to sort through before we find the actual change over, this is the exciting part
Thank you for help with record keeping!
Tony
Old 01-04-2012, 08:40:40 PM
Sponsor

Cleaned up the magneto and a good friend charged the magnet and provided new wires and one new plug lead in the distributer that was badly damaged (thanx Bodo!). She makes some pretty spark too!
It is an American Bosch, model U 4 and has ED2V1 also stamped in base. I assume this is the original or correct mag? Impulse is in the motor housing. There was no coupling but they used a short piece of rad hose clamped to each stub. From other pix on this thread, I am assuming this was also factory?
Way too cold to work in the shed for now. I had the other tractors running New Year's Day as it was about +6C. Yesterday was about -20C and today not much better. Want to pull the pistons but it may be hard to get an arm in those hand holes with bulky, insulated coverals and hydro-parka!
RM.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mag1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	124896   Click image for larger version

Name:	mag2.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	124897   Click image for larger version

Name:	mag3.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	124898  
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to G Willikers For This Post:
Old 01-05-2012, 03:07:14 AM
Registered

Smile Re: My New Wallis!

G

Not sure which looks better the homemade butter tarts, cookies or the magneto.
Beginning to think there may be other reasons for the bulky coveralls?
Great looking tractor

Bill
Old 01-05-2012, 07:31:53 AM
Registered

Keep this great Wallis 20-30 thread going Rick, it contrasts well with Dave's M-H 20-30 thread at the moment.

The U4 is a very good magneto and yes that rubber hose connection is factory on all 20-30, 12-20, unstyled Pacemaker and Challenger models up to 1937.

Malcolm.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:24:40 AM
Registered

g if you ever need help i think im avalable looks like a guy will get fed well
Old 01-05-2012, 03:01:48 PM
Sponsor

Wally, I just put that in there for to show the scale! I never eat stuff like that as it would ruin my svelt figure.
Nobody emailed to try and buy the nos Splitdorf spark plug. That was in the tool box of the Beaver tractor when I got it! (no it's not for sale!)
And who are ya fooling - no one could afford to feed you!
RM.