Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion > Antique Engine Archives
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Antique Engine Archives All archived posts from 1999 to 2004 when SmokStak was on EnginAds. This is a read-only board.

Antique Engine Archives

Ideal Lawnmower Engine

this thread has 2 replies and has been viewed 1812 times

Old 07-28-2003, 07:13:44 PM
Benny Mckheean in NC

Default Ideal Lawnmower Engine

I just purchased a Ideal Lawnmower engine and I have a few questions about the mixer and crankcover.It is the old style engine with 12 1/2inch flywheels and the rounded crank cover.My question is do you remove the two screws that hold the crank cover on and fill the bottom with oil or just oil the main ever so often?It has two grease cups for the outer crank.Is the mixer supposed to have a choke.Any pictures of one would be helpful.See the link of the engine.Thanks for any help. Benny in NC

http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos...smi=1&a=116461
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2003, 08:30:42 AM
Bruce Wambach

Default Re: Ideal Lawnmower Engine

Benny,

The crank cover needs to be removed and the case filled with oil so that crank barely skims the surface of the oil. This is a splash system and too much oil will cause excess oil to splash out as the cover is not a perfect seal.

Regarding your second question about the mixer, my Ideal is equipped with a Lunkenheimer mixer, that has only a needle valved and a spring operated compensating valve, there is no choke. To ensure there is gas at the mixer, hold the compensating valve up until gas begins to leak from the mixer intake. Hope this helps.

Bruce in PA
Old 07-29-2003, 08:53:36 AM
Benny Mckheean in NC

Default Re: Ideal Lawnmower Engine

Bruce,There is no needle spring on my mixer,I think it is a homemade outfit.Can you send me a closeup picture of one?Thanks for the reply.Benny