Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

home made line boring

this thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 6807 times

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58:57 PM
Subscriber

Default home made line boring

well I had to either pay some one to do this or I said to my self why don't I do it after all this isn't a race car engine???so I went and bought a piece of 2"cold rolld 3 ft long I drilled a 3/4 hole perpendicular this will be for my cutting tool.i used a piece of carbide and brazed it to a piece of 3/4 cold rolld.i had in the scrap pile a universal joint off a four wheeler which I thought would come in to good use some day.i would use this for any misalignment..i found a piece of H beam that my cyclinder would fit in and use the mounting ears to hold it in place just like it was on the engine.next step was to locate center.i found some cast iron round spacers off a disc like you use to plow a field with.that with a little machine work fit perfectly in the bore and while still in the lathe I bored the center so the 2" boring bar would fit in nice and tight but with no play.the I used shaft collars to hold these plates in place.so now that the boring bar was center and locked in place I built a frame and welded it on bothe ends of the H beam where I could mount flange bearings.these bearings are the secret to boring the cyclinder as they guide the bar as it cuts.i tacked welded the whole set up to the metal work bench which is next to my mill .I raised my table up even to boring bar modified universal joint to turn the boring bar then I used rachet straps to tie down my 3/4 drive drill motor to my mill table.then turned it on used my mill table to feed the boring bar .!!!!!!I was happy with the end result and not scared to do it again if I have to !!!I held a tight tolerance and this was a 5 or 5 1/2" bore..002-.003 top to bottom end to end its not like a 2" bar is going to flex in 12" !!I took off .040-.050 at a time. now the hard part was when to adjust tool because you have to be very very careful when adjusting it as ther is no good way un less you use a depth guage.calipers is what I used.i would adjust and take a small cut then recheck and guess and use paper shims to touch off the cutting tool.any way they use this set up every day in world from heavy equipment to boats.the navy used this system also.hope you enjoy .edgar in west tn
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	locating center.jpg
Views:	1166
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	166769   Click image for larger version

Name:	finding center.jpg
Views:	1036
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	166770   Click image for larger version

Name:	set up for boring.jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	166771   Click image for larger version

Name:	setting up bearings.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	11.5 KB
ID:	166772  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2013, 11:27:26 PM
Registered

Default Re: home made line boring

Edgar--Looks pretty straight forward EXCEPT--How did you control the feed rate?

---------- Post added at 11:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

OK --Forget I said that--I reread your text and found my answer
Old 06-05-2013, 11:32:27 PM
Subscriber

as far as the feed rate I just very steadily and "felt"when I turned the mill table.you can feel and hear when the tool is cutting and when it is no just like when you use a drill press.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

one more point the boring bar "slips" thru the flange bearings it is a very snug fit but also will allow for travel.i was very impressed and have watched on you tube people bore stuff 8 to 15 feet length and all kinds of positions where you cant put the parts in a mill or lathe such as a navy ship!!front end loader and other heavy equipment.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:10:43 AM
Subscriber

Thanked 3,039 Times in 1,623 Posts

Git 'er done!
The Following User Says Thank You to ronm For This Post:
Old 06-06-2013, 09:50:46 AM
Registered

Impressive rigging. You know how to think outside the box.

Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to WD Garrett For This Post:
Old 06-04-2015, 11:53:42 PM
Registered

Great job Edgar!! Good to see you are still at it.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:24:47 AM
Subscriber

hey mike enjoyed the chat this after noon !!!!!!!!glad you are in the hobby !! got the foos running and tested compression and got 55psi !!!!!!!!!!not too bad for an old red neck country boy !!!!!1dont you agree??????
Old 09-08-2015, 09:41:10 PM
Subscriber

Nice work,, all the fancy blue print boys be crying for sure .....
Old 09-09-2015, 12:06:22 AM
Subscriber

thanks for reply it can be done honed to size and in your back yard !!there was a guy in an old issueof gas engine magazine that used a rigid pipe threading machine as power source and got excellent results too.!!on you tube there is a video with the doing the same on locomotives.where I work they use a homemade boring rig to bore out bearing housings 8-10 in dia and the bar was 8 to 10 feet long so yes it can be done and yes it can be as accurate as the person setting the rig up !!!!!!!!!that's where the true craftsmans come into play !!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Edgar For This Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 07:43:21 AM
Registered

Using the mill table for a feed was a stroke of genius! I've cobbled boring setups together before.....and they worked well enough.....but they were always a hand feed with a portable drill. The feed screw of the mill would allow for much greater control and accuracy.

As you said, it's not a race car engine!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 10:06:22 AM
Subscriber

Edgar thanks I hadnt though of my pipe threader as the power source
The Following User Says Thank You to Mitch Malcolm For This Post:
Old 09-09-2015, 12:53:42 PM
Subscriber

Not only use pipe threader as power source but as a guide and feed they have rack and pinion gear set up plus you want the slow speed !!!!by the standards of way back then they used what they had as long as it got the job done doesn't mean it was precise but it can be that s up to the person setting up and how patient you can be. Not bragging but I was on cloud nine when I got my food jr bored and the bragging rights and made my self esteem higher I did promise my self that if it seem s like I was about to mess up I was going to job it out but I be heard Horror stories of high tech modern machine shops screw up boring jobs and still charge you an arm and leg!!!!!! Also pouring rod bearings and main bearings are just as fun and interesting to me!!!!!! I was thinking today how can I come up with a homemade crank grinder humming?????it can be done to guys,,,!!!all you need is 2centers a narrow grinding wheel and some creative thinking or in my case a need or want where I just can't go out and spend money that's too. Easy anybody can blow money,,,,!!!!!

---------- Post added at 11:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Mitch and others don't forget to keep your eyes open in scrap piles for gear boxes and universal joints I used universal joint off a 4wheeler to align my boring bar By the way the last cyclinder I bored was 6 1/2dia. By 17in long,!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Edgar For This Post:
Old 09-10-2015, 09:02:04 AM
Subscriber

I was dreaming up my setup all last night I am going to make some X rumely cylinder sleeves 6 13/16 bore hopefully this winter.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:49:26 PM
Subscriber

Just take your time Mitch ,,!!! You can do it. !!!go to YouTube check out some videos there Keith feiner turn right machine shopaholic I believe his name has to have the smallest working machine shop I ever saw!!with the most productive and antique equipment and has lots of neat machining setups and tricks !!!!

Last edited by Edgar; 09-10-2015 at 09:37:01 PM.