Antique Engines and Old Iron
[Home] - [HELP] - [Forums] - [Library] - [Photo Gallery] - [Groups] - [Classified Ads] - [Subscribe] - [Links] - [Books] - [Sponsors] -

Go Back   SmokStak > SmokStak® Antique Engine Community > Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion
Forgot Password? Join Us!

Notices

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion Meet collectors of hit and miss engines, ask questions about collecting, restoring and showing antique flywheel engines.

Hit & Miss Gas Engine Discussion

Bad Neighbors at Shows

this thread has 122 replies and has been viewed 12705 times

Old 01-31-2016, 07:25:37 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,905 Times in 1,088 Posts
Default Re: Bad Neighbors at Shows

I pulled into a show once and began unloading when the fellow next to us began starting up his collection of chain saws.
I waited about 10 minutes and it became pretty clear he had no intention of turning them off. In fact he started a
few more during that time. I didn't say a word. Just loaded up what little I had taken out and moved clear to the other
end of the field and set up far from the racket. I walked by him several times during the day and each time I was
even more pleased with my decision to move. He always had 4-7 of the 18-20 saws on the ground sitting there
idling all day long.

I enjoyed the heck out of the show and learned it is a good idea to look at what sort of equipment is on display nearby --- before I unload if possible.

Gil
Old 01-31-2016, 07:41:51 PM
Registered-III

The last time I attended a show was at Brooks, Oregon.....probably back in 2003 or so (back trouble over the years). But one incident I remember VERY well.........

There were two older gentlemen......and I use that term loosely......who got into a heated discussion about whether a certain engine used a certain part during a certain time period. Fine. We all like to further our knowledge and learn from other, but this descended into a shouting match punctuated with strings of profanity. I was only about fifty feet away and heard every word and was genuinely concerned that the knives were coming out soon.

Now, the purpose of any engine show is to bring the public in and educate them about how things "used to be done". Let them see how great Grandpa did it and so on, and of course we get to play with our toys and show them off. After a short time I could see many people, most of them with small children, leaving the area. Some marched right out the gate, got in their car and drove off probably never to return. Must have got a great first impression.

The altercation finally caught the attention of a show official (or maybe someone fetched him) who got these two old geezers to calm down and look around them.....THERE WASN'T ONE PERSON WITHIN 300 FEET OF THEM OR ANY DISPLAYS....most of the crowd was staring at them from a good distance away.

As far as I could tell, the two old boys never apologized to each other or anyone else for their behavior. They just sat in their opposing spots and glared at each other.

That's right guys........let's make it fun and attract all the "new blood" we can. Got a problem with someone at a show? Great......let it go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George Andreasen For This Post:
Old 01-31-2016, 09:17:53 PM
Subscriber

Thanked 4,078 Times in 1,899 Posts

Well over the years I have seen and heard alot but when I hear a husband and wife or male and female counter part arguing or as 1 time,hitting each other at a engine -tractor show,i think that is going a bit far.
Leave that crap at home.Get along or get gone.

Or happen to be awake at 3 am and over hear the neighbors in the next camper "being HAPPY campers" if you get my drift. And naturally there is 1 of the levelers on a wooden block that aint tight against it,making it's own noise.
When that happens I always make it a point to ask the neighbors the next day, "hey how did yawl sleep last night!?'
The Following User Says Thank You to uglyblue66 For This Post: